aquaponics

WAYWARD WIND

looking for help with growing via aquaponics.
have set up already. 250mm troughs with sand & gravel bedding to just below the level of the water flowing through.
have 7 cuttings been sitting in this medium now for about 6 weeks. virtually no progress.
does the water need to be kept flowing continuously, or can it be stopped periodically & have nutrients added?
stopping the flow seems to be going against the idea of aquaponics though.
the lighting is a 400watt mercury vapour setup.have no other yet for when they begin to turn.
the supply of water comes from a 50,000litre ex swimming pool. there is a continuous water feed via an under water pool fountain pump. the pool is full of gold fish (over 100, plus freshwater crabs,& catfish as bottom dwellers.)
there are also an abundance of water plants, including pink lilies.
the pool is under almost complete shade,(the main reason it has prospered as well as it has.)
is there any more info you would like to allow an evaluation of the problem i'm having?
oh! have recently added some chelated iron to the flow through the troughs,& about 2 days later added some trace elements, then about 2 days after that i added some concentrated seaweed solution, not much of that though.
would also appreciate any info on induction lighting for grow lights that might be out there.

Fascinating honestly, look forward to your progress if you get everything all tuned in. It seems your trying to root cuttings? I would get clones, something with roots so that it can start absorbing all that food. It would probably be wise to make sure your solution is well oxygenated. Add maybe an air stone at the bottom of your setup to further aerate your aquatic solution. The plants should grow great with all that natural nitrogen and trace minerals. Your gonna have a tough time rooting cuttings from what you've stated.

In order for cuttings to have a chance they must be "not" submerged in water but preferably an inch above your water. Your water should be always circulated. The stems should have water being "splashed" onto them. If everything is right a week tops should produce new roots.

6 weeks?... They should have died at week 3-4.

I'd honestly do this:

Have a pump bring water from your pool and have a pump bring that water back to the pool. This means you will always have a circulated solution. You NEVER want standing water for more than 15 minutes,, all that sediment will build up into your gravel.

Also how do you go about making sure your ph levels are optimum? Obviously you can't change 50k Liters over night... Some of your fish could do if you modify the ph.

Well let is know because not too many do aqua ponics round hurrr.

Back
Top Bottom