Arduino based room controller

I was thinking KJ, you could buy a webcam, wifi-stick and 2nd hand thin-client computer, that way you could use your phone to see what's happening without wasting too much power or money.
By just plugging in the arduino to an USB-port that would also make it possible to control the arduino by phone without expensive wifi-shield.
(If the TC has a parallel-printerport and you would only need on/off control, it would even be possible to ditch the arduino.)

You would need to write your own compatible arduino program and configure the PC to relay all data, but... it should be possible. I unfortunately have little experience with thin-clients and don't know what speed and memory you would need to support the webcam.

Personally I've managed to create a telnet-link to an arduino ages ago though that was using processing (an IDE/arduino's brother for PC) on a wireless PC, but having followed the official Arduino forum for a while, loads of guys there are also quite fond of gobetwino, which requires a little less programming.

Do check every few days though, spidermites are hard to detect by webcam :)

You are a talented person Mr. OG13

When I 1st read about your controller in another thread, I think in there I read some thing about X10 home automation. I then went on a Google search for X10 and home automation.
Let me say anyone wishing to automate their grow room, X10 and some of the others Home automated units that I Googled and found make it completely possible. From controlling power, timers, monitoring temp and humidity, even security cameras all from your Iphone/Ipad or Android or pc any where in the world.
They are mostly made up units not very expensive and expandable. Most are compatible with each other.
here is a link to a X10 Ebay dealer X10 Remotes, X10 Modules items in X10 Home Automation Shipped FREE store on eBay!
and do a google search on Home Automation/ Smart Home/ Iphone controller/ smart phone controlled. You will be amazed at what you can do and incorporate into your grow room. There is youtube videos of the rich controlling their entire house from his Ipad also

And ya won't have to do any soldering

Skutch,

That sounds rad bro. It would be cool to run a laptop like that. Pretty soon I'm getting another laptop and plan on having this one in use now dedicated to my arduino grow controller and the webcam for the room.
I can run both off that stand alone computer correct.

Yep and it may even be simpler as I initially thought, although I also... have little experience with the method below.

Using the remote desktop function, you could compile and upload arduino sketches as if you're in the growing room.
You wouldn't need a special link (processing/Gobetwino) to the arduino that way. Instead of writing a special arduino-routine that checks/interprets remote commands and consumes programming-space, you could also simply change the variable(s) needed and re-compile/upload the sketch. Not advisable should you want to sell such a system since it's extremely user unfriendly, but since you're the one developing it, it could be a cheap though efficient trick.

It's a pity we all have to be so paranoia about something so innocent, but besides curious seedlings I'd also be cautious of curious trees. Both physical and digital barricades should be... OK.

By the way, as janitor on a school I had great fun with those types of seedlings, but my wife and I can't get any of our own, it's a pity one can't clone'm. :winkyface:

How do you anticipate using this Prairie? This can replace the arduino and wifi components and operate autonomously?

How do you anticipate using this Prairie? This can replace the arduino and wifi components and operate autonomously?
Yes. I already connect wirelessly to my Arduino running with three sensors and controlling four Power Switch Tails.

PPScreen.jpg

Here is my processing app running the graphs.

These are Arduino's with a built in transceiver in a mini form factor. They should allow me to run multiple boards in the same wireless network and all talking back to the backend PC.

Nice to hear from you Maer, I was hoping it was just busy that was keeping you.....

After reading this thread about a month ago I got really excited about arduino anyway tldr I got my kit/co2 and other sensors and I am busing tinkering around with it. I would like to see some of the completed code that you guys used but I only see bits and pieces. Is there a place that all of the library's and source code is stored so that we can mess around with it? I really like the idea of graphing the information and that is what originally turned me on about the arduino, then I find out water cooled co2 gen's are just tankless hot water heaters and I was relieved that I could finally add Co2 to my room without spending 800$ .. Anyways thanks for this post it is the reason I subbed to 420 mag, and hope to see more inspiring ones about diy kits like this..

This is great I have used a Teensy to convert my old serial wacom tablet to usb. Stellar material thank you.

Does anyone have an interest in being able to build web accessible/cloud hosted charts like this with your sensor data automatically?

hzAUW.jpg

Hello - I'm interested in your graphing. Send an email or pm.
Here's a link to a CO2/temp/humidity sensor in my office
https://dxhydro.no-ip.biz/rtv/rtv.html (flash)
Here is the raw data:
https://dxhydro.no-ip.biz/diag
user= admin
password= noseadmin

This is a unit called the Nose by a company called PureChoice (now defunct)
Telaire 6004 series CO2 sensor & Sensirion SHT15 (way better than that POS DHT11 or dallas/maxim) temp/humidity sensor.
The Nose has a built in webserver, running linux on a Coldfire m532x processor. Wish I could get into software (firmware) but attempts have been unsuccessful & I'm tired of trashing the units...
THnaks, Dan Weddle / DX Hydro

Hey Guys, what ever happened to this thread, it was moving along Great and .... ???? I have a question building on this, does anyone use a water flow sensor, to watch for no/low volume water supply to plant situations in a hydro setup? Thx Guys !!!

Hey Guys, what ever happened to this thread, it was moving along Great and .... ???? I have a question building on this, does anyone use a water flow sensor, to watch for no/low volume water supply to plant situations in a hydro setup? Thx Guys !!!

I've been using Arduino and the cloud based graph service from Xively to monitor my Cupboard temp/humidity/light levels/drip flow volume, garage temp/humidity (where I keep my cupboard), and outside temp/humidity. Works really well and keeps data for at least 3 months.
It would be awesome if I could get it to control the lights, feed pump, PH doser. I don't think my Arduino skills will ever be that good.

Up

Hello, i started following your tutorial, very good job, ty :bravo:

But missing Lesson 7: Put it all together, use a menu to display your inputs

any chance you do it ...? :)

Back
Top Bottom