Arduino Climate Control

It's always the little things that get you. :(
That is so true, I feel like I'm always forgetting something, like a zipper or turning a fan back on. When I started this project 6 months ago, I thought it would just be a light and a tent. Now I have 4 tents, 7 connected network devices, and I believe 15 powered devices (things plugged into the wall). I guess, like all hobbies, it's easy to get out of hand.

I reworked the air flow in my air tent. I think I have better circulation now. When I pulled out all the stuff, I noticed that there was an electrical port in the tent behind the a/c that was wide open. Whoops.

I also discovered my circuit breaker's breaking point. After putting everything back in the tent I tested everything by turning it on from blynk then turning it off. I definitely can not have the a/c and dehumidifier on at the same time. I updated my code to enforce this now. The benefit of tripping the circuit breaker is that I saw my UPS work, the arduinos did not reboot and kept on going.

I pay close attention to positive and negative pressure of the tents. I noticed when the a/c is on (just the fan) everything seems fine. When the compressor turns on, the air tent goes from positive to negative air pressure. I guess the a/c exhausts some of the inside air. That is too bad, I thought the point of a dual hose system was to not mix air.

When my flower tent is done, probably in two weeks, I plan to rework things. I'm hoping to put a 3x3 in there. I will then retire my veg tent and concentrate on just running two tents, one for air and one for plants. I'm still having a problem controlling temperature and think it will be easier to concentrate on just two tents.

The 3x3 won't fit without modification. Maybe with some luck I will be able to do something like a did with my air tent and just remove a single poll on the top.

I'm also considering going back to the window a/c unit. I really don't like that the portable a/c create so much negative pressure.

Luckily the weather forcast says no temperatures over 75 for this next 10 days so I should be able to finish out my flowering plants without too much worry.

Not much has been going on, I was just waiting for the flower tent to finish up. Now that it is cleared I re-ducted and now I have only the veg and air tents active. I will probably start flowering again in 3 weeks so that give me time to tweak the flower tent. I'm still thinking about putting a 3x3 tent there and try to work around an attic 2x4 that cuts through part of the ceiling of the tent. I'm also considering putting some sort of fiber board around the tent for insulation. That will be a decent amount of work, so I'm hoping to come up with alternatives. Right now the 20x20 inch veg tent is pretty cramped :) The plants are doing well, they are a little sad in this picture because I probably went 1 day too long without watering.

Interested in the outcome. Working on a much simpler system...temp, rh, capacitive soil moisture,light timer. The philosophy.... there's no substitute for good, hands on experience...but automation & reasonable control of the simple tasks helps. My heater has a bimetallic thermostat & the pos humidistat is +/- 30%...

Phase II will be heat & humidity control... watering (soaker hose or overhead spray) with lots of hysteresis / dampening to prevent drowning plants...and keep them at least a bit hydrated if i go away for the weekend.
IMG_20220414_113000435.jpg

Phase III, wifi with phone app...ok, getting a bit too ambitious...

Prototype done. Pics don't show the relay controlled outlets for the heater, cooler (future), light timer, and humidifier. Eventually I hope to add control for the intake & exhaust fans plus , possibly, light / lumens & ph monitoring if I can find an inexpensive modules.

I can monitor / change temp, rh, lights, time/date and monitor soil moisture from my phone or PC via bluetooth. Learning as I go now that I have data...yeah, I'm a geek hence the excel chart complete with the latest trend line of soil moisture...

Learning #1: watering too frequently via the knuckle test which is far from scientific. I was watering every two days which looks to be too early as the soil is still moist. I'm now going 3 days between watering which seems much better for the plants...and my wallet as I'm using less nutes while possibly avoiding nutrient lock-up.

Learning #2: the humidifier was on a timer, 60 mins on, 30 mins off which had to be changed frequently as the weather is all over the place. Basically it was set by me poking my head in the closet to check the temp & RH. Aside from being a pain, it was hit or miss. With the controller, no more opening the door & playing with the mechanical timer. Using less than half the water than previously which tells me the humidifier was running way too much.

controller.jpg

BT Screen.JPG

moisture graph.JPG

Back
Top Bottom