Are my expectations to high?

beensmokin420

Okay I need to know, is it possible to flower 3 females in my closet w/ a single 150w HPS?

Dimensions: 6' high x 4' wide x 2' deep

I plan on veggin til a height of around 1' to 1.5' is reached, I will then put on 12/12 to flower for 8-10 weeks.

I'm not so worried about the dimensions as I am the wattage of my HPS.

I need to know what I should do? One plant? Two? Three okay?:hmmmm:

Pic up in a few (awaiting approval)

Re: Are my expectations to high???

With only a 150 watt I would start flowering earlier, because at 1 to 1.5 foot high the plants are going to be huge by harvest time, and a single 150 watt probably wouldn't cover enough area to keep 'em all lit.

Aight here's the pic, I set it up how I would like it to be but i'm sure i'll have to change things, let me know what you think.
Flowering_Room.jpg

With only a 150 watt I would start flowering earlier, because at 1 to 1.5 foot high the plants are going to be huge by harvest time, and a single 150 watt probably wouldn't cover enough area to keep 'em all lit.

I beg to differentiate :cheesygrinsmiley: in my experience once one switches to to 12/12 mj only grows another 2-3' :>)

I know a 250w has a small area of coverage, so a 150w would be much smaller. It stands to reason that you will not have heat issues, but you will also have inadequate coverage. Some of the lower bud sites on all the plants will not form buds due to lack of light.

I know a 250w has a small area of coverage, so a 150w would be much smaller. It stands to reason that you will not have heat issues, but you will also have inadequate coverage. Some of the lower bud sites on all the plants will not form buds due to lack of light.

Thanks roor, I am growing white rhino and i've heard it commonly grows as one main cola w/ little to no branching, if this is true wouldn't the light reach the plants easier?

Also, how much yield would I be looking at for say 3 females, considering the low wattage of light?

I plan on adding a 400w hps to the mix hopefully b/f they flower, hopefully.

Well if you get a 400w you won't even need to bother using the 150w.

Even without many lateral branches coverage for all three plants is still and issue. See how you have the pots in a line, and the light hanging in the center? This means that the 150w light will have a perfect spotlight on the center plant, but only weak residual light will be hitting the sides of the plants on either side, making for smaller overall yeilds.

One can never, and I mean never, speculate the amount of yeild one might get from a crop. Unless you have grown the same strain over and over from clones using the same feeding regimine everytime then there are too many variables involved to form and accurate guess.

I understand, but what I am trying to tell you is that the strongest light which is in the center will be hitting the inner sides of both plants closest to the light. Then the strongest light will actually be spotlighting the sides of the pot more than the plant. More wattage means more coverage and a wider area of intense light.

Gotcha RooR, thanks a bunch! So what should I do if I don't get the 400watter?:hmmmm:? Pick the best female and just grow 1? My yield would be better (I would imagine) if all my light was on 1 plant from what i'm gathering from you. I enjoy being corrected and learning the correct ways of cannabis growing so if something I say is wrong please by all means, point it out.

Also RooR or anyone else... Do you think getting a different reflector for the 150w would help put the light across 2 plants better?

I have a 250w HPS which is great for one plant, but even 2 is pushing it. So a 150w would really only be useful for 1 plant. Systems that small have a very small spotlight effect, all the strong light is in the center. In my opinion, I would do as you said and pick the best female to grow if your are going to stick to the 150w system. Also, for multiple plants small systems seem to work better if you employ the Screen of Green technique.

A reflector will only help redirect the residual light that would be lost better, it will not help with the spotlight effect of the bulb.

I have a 250w HPS which is great for one plant, but even 2 is pushing it. So a 150w would really only be useful for 1 plant. Systems that small have a very small spotlight effect, all the strong light is in the center. In my opinion, I would do as you said and pick the best female to grow if your are going to stick to the 150w system. Also, for multiple plants small systems seem to work better if you employ the Screen of Green technique.

A reflector will only help redirect the residual light that would be lost better, it will not help with the spotlight effect of the bulb.

You Da MAN!:allgood: One plant it will be! Thanks once again bro, much love +rep!!!

So changing the reflector isn't worth the money? I'm sorry I just don't quite understand what you mean... The spotlight effect, does that mean the bulb is pointed vertically rather than horizontally???

By spotlight effect I meant that the strong light is all focused into the center. Another reflector may redirect the residual light downwards, making use of light that would otherwise be lost, but it will not change the fact that all of the strong light is in the center. Small systems like 250w and 150w have a strong light in the center, but it dissipates quickly as the area gets larger.

I always hang the lights above the plant, rather than parralel to them. Think of the leaves as solar panels. More light catches these solar panels if the light source is placed above. If you had it on the side, very little light would be absorbed and most would go right past the leaves.

For example, put your hand flat in front of a flashlight and you will see a shadow of your hand on the ground. Now turn your hand sideways and you will see much more light shines onto the floor because it is not being blocked by your hand, all you now see is the shadow of the profile of your hand. Your hand is like the leaves on the plant, and the more light that goes past it means less efficent lighting. Understand?

Back
Top Bottom