Are my seeds going bad?

Kbomb

Some attempts to photograph what I have just noticed is happening to my seeds in storage. Hard to see well in the photos but they are developing irregular dark/black areas/streaks, mostly emanating from the base of the seed (where it was attached to the plant). Also, the shells seem to be flaking a bit and it\'s as if some of the most superficial layer of the shell is coming off in patchy areas.

I have them loose in little paper envelopes, and grouped into regular or female seeds and reg/fem seeds are stored in separate plastic airtight containers with multiple small packs of dessicant in the container.

The oldest seeds are maybe 18m old. The newest (F1s I have created/harvested) in the last few months. I thought maybe the newer seeds intorduced some moisture but this is happening to my fem seeds too which were all kept separate and all sourced from good seed banks.

So is this just what happens with age? Is this moisture/mould damage? Or indeed is this because conditions are too dry?

DSC033936.JPG
DSC033907.JPG
DSC033857.JPG

On the chance that this is not a joke. Your seeds look fine. From the photos anyway. Seeds come in all shapes, sizes, and colors. From tiny near black ones to huge watermelon look ones. The black marks you are showing are common. I store my seeds the same way but keep everything in the fridge in the dark. Some are over 20 years old and still pop.

Thanks Jackalope,

I did wonder if I was perhaps a little paranoid! I have to say I didn't ever inspect seeds up close before, (except until i've wet them and was checking on progress of germination) but it seemed like some were def looking different from when I have checked them wet, with a loupe.

My concern was that a recent attempt to pop some of a strain i'd never done before (Chemo, Jordan of the Islands), 1, then 2 did nada and the first after a few days developed little tiny black 'spheres' over/on it that started to multiply. I figured possibly some kind of fungus/mould so it went in the bin. When the 3rd also didn't do anything after a few days on close inspection it had a crack in it. This made me look at the last 2 Chemo beans I had and noticed these flakes and black marks which just didn't look right...and so I then checked some of my other strains and so on and started to panic that my whole stock might be going bad!

I have taken some better photos - at least came across one other seed already with a hefty crack in it (CKS Blueberry) - clearly that one won't be viable but makes me think I ought to check all seeds with a loupe when I get them in future - my ageing eyes must not notice these things when I look at them with the naked eye!

IMG_167639.JPG

This is the other BB I found with a crack in it and the one next to it I thought didn't look right

IMG_168041.JPG

And the two closest to the bottom here I also thought didn't look too healthy with the patchy shell etc.

The first pic shows 1 does have a crack and is probably bad. I kind of see the flaking on that seed too. All the others look fine. Some are odd shaped but that happens. The mottled pattern with the black spots is normal... Really not sure why you are having so much trouble getting seeds to pop. No comment on CKS That Blueberry seed should never have been sold. Jordan of the Islands have been around for a long time maybe your seeds from them were a old batch. Check out Sensible Seeds. They have a huge seed menu and they send breeder packs. The only way to be sure what you are getting. I get most my stuff from them. They go through tons of seeds so might have fresher seeds from older strains. Double check your storage system so you know its not you. I think you got some bad seeds but you never know tell you pop them. Its your call about going forward with the seeds you have or get a few more. I would go with new seeds. Don't throw the others out. Just try them sparingly so you don't affect your grows. For cheap seeds check Nirvanna or Dinafem. Mid priced Barneys Farm, Humboldt, DNA. Those all have reg. or fem seeds. TGA subcool, Bohdi have lots of soild regular strains.

Thanks again.

Perhaps you're right re the Jordan stock. Can't necessarily blame CKS either - I got them from the Vancouver office itself, in person, in its pack. The damage might well have come from my own method in getting it back to my own country - again, didn't really inspect them too closely when unpacking. I have a dinafem and medicann that have taken off nicely recently. day 3 the last 2 chemo aren't doing anything and tried 2nd of TGA (last one did nothing end of last yr) spacebomb - also day 3 and no sign of action (paper towel method btw).

Fortunately have probably a dozen or so strains of fem and reg in storage - my hope was too amass an extensive range that would last me almost forever...assuming i'd live off the F1s, F2s further down the track. The hassle of trying to source seeds inspired an initial shop frenzy! Could certainly get new ones if I really need to, but i'll see how I go....

Thanks again for the advice and opinion :)

Cool about the Spacebomb. TGA has always been a pretty solid breeder. Yeah I had the same idea about collecting seeds. Now I have strains I may never get to lol. While there may be tons of great strains out there. I only like some of them. I'm finding new favorites and dropping others that I thought would be great all the time.

What country do you live in if you don't mind me asking?

Cool about the Spacebomb. TGA has always been a pretty solid breeder. Yeah I had the same idea about collecting seeds. Now I have strains I may never get to lol. While there may be tons of great strains out there. I only like some of them. I'm finding new favorites and dropping others that I thought would be great all the time.

What country do you live in if you don't mind me asking?

Don't mind you asking Jackalope but I might just narrow it down to the southern hemisphere. I hear you re strains! I'd like to try to make some autos but that seems to require a little more advanced breeding and cultivation.

Last 2 chemos nada after 7 days. 5/5 Jordans gone now with not a single win. Bummer, I like the legend of David Suzuki being involved in its breeding! On the plus side, SB erupted from the earth and is standing pretty...or handsome, time will tell!

Southern Hemisphere works. I'm on the Northern side. Thought I might be able to help you out with some reg. seeds to help offset your losses. I'm 1/2 reg. 1/2 feminized I don't do autos. The Space Bomb should make you very happy though.

Sorry to say I have given out 1000s of seeds to know avail. Now days I am much more selective in where they go. Yes I'm sure lots of people want seeds. Hell I even want more seeds and I have tons LOL. No offence to anyone but I won't be sharing with many people these days.

Further update - spacebomb not looking so good. longest leaves i've ever seen! long and thin, 1st two. 2nd lot emerged but kind of munted with only one side developing which I didn't think was a big deal, but today the 2 original leaves are browning at the ends. Only giving water still and same growing medium as the blue blood and og kush which are doing v well. Will see what I can do to nurse it back to health. Not going well with the Canadian breeders so far!

On the plus side, i've cut down a lovely BF liberty haze fem which got me my biggest yield yet and 2 of the smaller branches are laden with white widow crossed seeds - more F1s to add to the collection!

If you're seeds or Droid for two weeks stored in rice in a glass jar put in the freezer and kept their your seeds will remain viable for up to 10 years I have a couple strains that I have had for more than 10 years that are still viable and are still in my freezer

Back
Top Bottom