Are seeds from a stressed out hermie worth keeping?

WarBux79

During my first grow in the new space I had two plants that got super stressed out and went hermie. They produced a fair amount of seeds from genitics I no longer have (Jack Herer and Blueberry) the plants didnt produce anything smokeable. They were pulled up early because they were so stessed out I felt they werent worth finishing. The seeds are not premature. My question is are they worth keeping or will they likely end up being sickly plants because of how bad of shape they were in when they were produced?

Depends on if the plants involved came from a stable strain or a funky hybrid.

seeds from a stressed out herm would carry some traits of that plant IMO, what do the seeds look like, small or big? If they are tiny weasle nut seeds I would toss em, but if they are healthy buff seeds I would try em :grinjoint: I`m sure there are other opinions comming that say I`m wrong, just my opinion, peace!!

You will probably just get more hermis.

The strain is prone to hermi. Subcool made a comment that finding a JH pheno that DIDN'T hermi was on the rare side. This was in a thread he wrote about trying to find a cut for Jack Herer's son.

Take that for what it is worth, but it seems telling when the breeder calls the strain unstable.

DD

Hermie seeds are great to hang on to. Guaranteed females. May have less that end up viable seeds but definitely hang on to them.

females that go hermie due to stress should be pure females as they have no male chromosome.

how the plants will turn out depends on the genes they have inherited not on how the parents fared in life. but id say atleast for the blueberry, to plant more than you need, if you want to smoke blueberry. i planted 10 blueberry's from seed such as yours of those 2 showed heavy signs of herming so i cut those of the rest, maby 2 of them looks like a proper blueberry the rest are just average mj plants :)

Even if the plants were really stessed out when they produced the seeds? I cut it down and threw it all away.

Yep. As long as the seeds got old enough to be viable you get guaranteed females. Comes in handy at some point if you end up losing a whole crop and don't have clones.

Thanks, good to know.
This thread is 10 years old, I did start another thread last week on this subject that got some interesting replies. The thread is called ouch my head... I still have some more questions on this subject.

I take it that the seeds you grew out did not hermie?

During my first grow in the new space I had two plants that got super stressed out and went hermie. They produced a fair amount of seeds from genitics I no longer have (Jack Herer and Blueberry) the plants didnt produce anything smokeable. They were pulled up early because they were so stessed out I felt they werent worth finishing. The seeds are not premature. My question is are they worth keeping or will they likely end up being sickly plants because of how bad of shape they were in when they were produced?
As far as I understand, hermie seeds are definitely worth keeping. When you find a "bag seed" you have a 65% chance she's a female. When you pull seeds off a Hermie, you get an 85% chance she's female. Now you might not get as many " viable" seeds, but absolutely worth keeping around IMO. As long as they're grown in optimal conditions, they should produce nice buds. Not to mention Hermie seeds can produce some potent cannabis due to the fact that they are considered "Survivors" . The only way to be truly sure is to do it yourself. Everyone can say what they want, I've personally been told to toss my Hermie seeds cause they're garbage, after doing some research I'm glad I kept them. So after this grow I've got going, I'm going to plant 5 of my Hermie seeds and find out for myself what's what with these seeds.
Hope I was able to help out, good luck and happy growing

Back
Top Bottom