Arjan's Haze #1

Hi Emeraldo,

Just from memory and without going off to check I think Mainlining tries to be very nicely symmetrical whereas Manifolding forgoes one of the toppings to be not as symmetrical but pretty much the same result. It is understandable that each time a topping is done that a plant can/will respond with it's growth slowing until it recovers. It seems this is different for different plants, different circumstances, some get really knocked back, others barely pause and rocket on. When folks are growing in grow tents/rooms they have the time to develop their plants in veg to how they want them before triggering flowering. But when growing outdoors, once nature triggers flowering you just have to go with it. I think this is how folks like Light Addict who created mindboggling results with comprehensively training his 'fluxed' plants in veg, until they were how he wanted them before he'd triggering flowering. But with either Manifolding or Mainlining because the toppings are done low the resulting plant's growth in height seems dampened down to 3 or 4 feet or so, which is great for folks who don't want 'big trees' to result. I could be wrong but I thought with either method once the toppings have been made the plant doesn't require further interventions. Whereas for me, ideally I only want the plant's growth to reach, perhaps 2 feet or maybe a little more, so for me it requires more daily/regular intervention to constantly train the new growth to keep it low and horizontal. Some folks have a location where they are happy with an 8 or even 12 foot plant, others only want around 4 foot, and for them some sort of topping whether it's Mainlining or Manifolding or other, is enough that once done they can pretty much leave the plant to reach that lower height on it's own. When growing outdoors I am inclined to favor training that creates the desired result without extra steps when time is against you, compared to indoor growing that doesn't have the same time constraints.

It is amazing what you're up against with the cold weather and your Arjan's Haze #1. I guess you have to pretty nurse and monitor it daily now to reduce the heating when the sun is out and yet have it back on overnight, but as you say, it probably is only for another 2 weeks so good luck with it, you have it looking great!

Re: Molasses, I think I have read the Hazy Lady post before, but will go and have another look. Certainly, many say the regular addition of molasses benefits their grows a lot. I added a tablespoon to the waterings last season a few times. Altho I did recently read, I think on a High Brix related post, where the poster said that ideally you want the soil biology to getting the sugars they need from the symbiotic interplay between the soil biology and the plant roots, and feeding molasses can make them lazy.

For me, this season's grow I need to be ready for any leaf yellowing that occurs and treat it before it gets unstoppable. So I'll be looking into the CalMag that you mentioned, altho as I said before I have Dolomite and ground oyster and mussel shell as amendments in my container soil this time. And so far everything is looking nice and green, but only 2 months growing to this point.

Anyway, keep on with, you're doing a great job, it looking really good. :hookah:

Hi Emeraldo,

... It is understandable that each time a topping is done that a plant can/will respond with it's growth slowing until it recovers. It seems this is different for different plants, different circumstances, some get really knocked back, others barely pause and rocket on.

Yes, for example, during a grow of fast-growing sativas, known to be lanky and long in the internodes but reaching potentially tremendous heights before flowering, the effect of topping the mainstem at say the 5th node may not produce an immediate effect of slowing the whole plant down, and in the end the two new growth points might remain apical for the duration of the plant's life. But a second topping does seem to have the effect. Not only is the growth of the once apical single growing point now stunted somewhat, but the side branches have gotten active and are growing stronger and even pushing past the topped stems.

... Whereas for me, ideally I only want the plant's growth to reach, perhaps 2 feet or maybe a little more, so for me it requires more daily/regular intervention to constantly train the new growth to keep it low and horizontal. Some folks have a location where they are happy with an 8 or even 12 foot plant, others only want around 4 foot, and for them some sort of topping whether it's Mainlining or Manifolding or other, is enough that once done they can pretty much leave the plant to reach that lower height on it's own. When growing outdoors I am inclined to favor training that creates the desired result without extra steps when time is against you, compared to indoor growing that doesn't have the same time constraints.

Essentially you are growing outdoors while requiring the plant to stay under two feet. Now that's a "pretty tall order" for a plant -- a sativa at that -- that wants to climb higher and get bigger. Isn't there some way to camoflage your balcony with a large cardboard box that would give you a bit more room without letting the eyes of another glimpse the girls? No room anywhere for a greenhouse?

For me, this season's grow I need to be ready for any leaf yellowing that occurs and treat it before it gets unstoppable. So I'll be looking into the CalMag that you mentioned, altho as I said before I have Dolomite and ground oyster and mussel shell as amendments in my container soil this time. And so far everything is looking nice and green, but only 2 months growing to this point.

Anyway, keep on with, you're doing a great job, it looking really good. :hookah:

Thanks again for the moral support. By the way, I knew there was a deficiency of some kind because the yellowing was odd, not expected at the peak of vegetative phase. It was only in the lower and lower-middle range of fan leaves. It was also a brighter yellow than age-related yellowing. The weedeasy site helped with the diagnosis. It was in fact a calcium deficiency, or maybe a calcium & magnesium deficiency, because it was fixed with additional calimag. Good growing!

There has to be a solution to your spacial constraints, Stunger.

From my own limited experience, I see several things that might work:
1. Seed selection: find an indica or ruderalis strain (or sativa crossed with those types of cannabis) that grow short naturally, and then keep them short with training techniques; and/or
2. Container selection: grow the plants in smaller pots, say a 3 gallon pot, which would naturally shorten the final height of the plants; if a cannabis plant has a very limited root space, it will not grow tall.

I know from this past summer: I grew/selected RQS "Critical" (got it as a freebie) because it was said to grow short; she was topped twice and stayed short, maybe 2.5 feet; she could've been made to grow even shorter. Her final location was in 3 gallons of soil.

I think as long as I can keep on to the maintenance of training the plants every couple of days I think with the quadlining approach that I should be able to keep in within 2.5 feet (if they go higher then I've got balcony rail herb planters to help with shielding them. 3 are quadlined, but 1 is being grown without topping. I suspect it will/may grow higher than the 5 feet available spot in the hedge where I plan of secreting it, but as I haven't want to top it, say at the 5th/6th node, as the space isn't so 'bush friendly' I plan on supercropping any branches that threaten to grow too tall.

As for seeds, it is bloody hard to get them here in NZ. That is why I am growing regulars that I harvested from several selectively pollinated colas from last season. This season I would like to make an attempt to create some feminized seed by using colloidal silver, it seems worth a try.

Most seed companies seem to largely rely on sending their beans out in either white or brown padded envelopes which seem to stand out like dogs balls to the petty customs people who confiscate them unfortunately. A mate is currently waiting for a third re-send after the first 2 were intercepted, and then I guess that will be it for that order. He has had similar with 2 previous orders and 2 resends, only one got thru :lot-o-toke: I wish they would stop sending all their orders in such easy to spot padded envelopes, I'd rather get a personal looking envelope instead with maybe some corrugated cardboard inside holding them to hopefully avoid being crushed. I dunno, it's frustrating.

If you are willing to pay extra for stealth, most seedbanks will send the seeds in a very cleverly disguised package, such as a plastic CD box with a real (dummy) CD inside, or in a ball point pen that looks like a commercial "gift".

Anyway, here's to November 16...

Looking good. Still putting out new pistils. I am sure it'd be pretty pleasant now if you had to harvest, but some way to go if you can keep the weather at bay for longer, they look in great condition given that you're dealing with below zero nights, really good job you're doing.

Re seeds; I know there is stealth options, but here in NZ they are particularly over the top with stopping them. They show it here on the TV news, showing packages being scanned from the conveyor belt and seeds showing as green dots on their monitors as organic material, I feel packages are really closely scrutinized, it is a bit dispiriting, some seed banks will do re-sends, but at the same time you don't really want your address going on some future blacklist.

Someone needs to start shipping their seeds to you folks in beanbag "chairs," lol. Just a few more little round things - in what's basically a giant sack containing 100,000 or so little round things :rofl:.

Looking good. Still putting out new pistils. I am sure it'd be pretty pleasant now if you had to harvest, but some way to go if you can keep the weather at bay for longer, they look in great condition given that you're dealing with below zero nights, really good job you're doing.

Re seeds; I know there is stealth options, but here in NZ they are particularly over the top with stopping them. They show it here on the TV news, showing packages being scanned from the conveyor belt and seeds showing as green dots on their monitors as organic material, I feel packages are really closely scrutinized, it is a bit dispiriting, some seed banks will do re-sends, but at the same time you don't really want your address going on some future blacklist.

Wow, they really are trying to keep NZ as a preserved as possible, that is a beautiful thing. I mean, who knows what comes in with travelers who bring pests, etc.

Long ago, before it was legal in California, I used to get nervous about seeds in the mail, so I can relate to your concern. I would always order and pay extra for shipment with stealth.

Wow, they really are trying to keep NZ as a preserved as possible, that is a beautiful thing. I mean, who knows what comes in with travelers who bring pests, etc.

Long ago, before it was legal in California, I used to get nervous about seeds in the mail, so I can relate to your concern. I would always order and pay extra for shipment with stealth.
They are really over the top here. Some Seed Banks have at times stopped sending to NZ because the seizure rate has been so high. There will be a national referendum on legalizing recreational cannabis in late 2020. Various polls have predicted either way results, of course I am hoping it does pass and then surely they'll relax on the importing of seeds and then we can select from the menu like folks in more enlightened places currently do.

Someone needs to start shipping their seeds to you folks in beanbag "chairs," lol. Just a few more little round things - in what's basically a giant sack containing 100,000 or so little round things :rofl:.

Bean-bags? That's it! Talk about stealth! Ship a whole beanbag chair full, who'd a thunk it?

I know someone who favors slipping a few into a small neck pillow when he next flies from a country that legally sells them. The neck pillows that people use when flying which are often filled with small round beads. It would be wonderful to get half a dozen great genetics successfully and just do one's best to breed from there if things don't change for the better.

There will be a national referendum on legalizing recreational cannabis in late 2020. Various polls have predicted either way results, of course I am hoping it does pass and then surely they'll relax on the importing of seeds and then we can select from the menu like folks in more enlightened places currently do.

Or you might wake up afterwards and discover that the government wants you to buy "government seeds" (only legal to purchase from a very few vendors that are government-approved and -taxed). Therefore, I hope whoever wrote the language of the thing you'll be voting on has put some thought into that possibility, and added language to prevent a "government monopoly," so to speak.

Or you might wake up afterwards and discover that the government wants you to buy "government seeds" (only legal to purchase from a very few vendors that are government-approved and -taxed). Therefore, I hope whoever wrote the language of the thing you'll be voting on has put some thought into that possibility, and added language to prevent a "government monopoly," so to speak.

Are you aware of that happening anywhere?

If it did, it seems folks would still smuggle in the better genetics in their airplane pillows and beanbags -- lol

There is sizable proportion of the NZ population who have enjoyed cannabis, so I hope common sense will prevail and they loosen up on being moral fun police. As for folks smuggling in better genetics, the more the better! If there were great genetics everywhere then they'd have to give up and accept that even if it is not a majority it would still be a good chunk of the population. In the mean time I look forward to getting some of those great genetics myself before too long.:passitleft:

Starting to wonder what a ripe Arjan's Haze #1 would look like. Should I go on the % of pistils that have turned reddish brown? Right now it seems about 50%. I've heard 50%, 70%. Most agree 90% would be overripe.

Her trikes are looking good, they are accumulating rapidly. Mostly clear still, some getting sorta milky and translucent. There is a hint of amber here and there, but only a hint. Her leaves haven't yellowed massively yet like other strains I've grown. But her leaves have gotten a bit paler, all except the sugar leaves close to the bud sites, which are still dark green.

Has anyone grown a late-flowering sativa successfully and care to share thoughts on when to harvest?

November 18:

So far you're doing an amazing job. From the pics, and in spite of the adverse drop in temperature (which many would have folded and taken an early chop), it looks like you're giving the plant an environment to thrive in. So I'd imagine if you are able to keep that up, and the plant continues to be happy, you can effectively ignore the late flowering reality along with the adverse weather and just keep it going until it shows the visible signs that your experience and gut feeling would normally look for on when to harvest. But whether being Arjan's Haze #1 or being Sativa means choosing differently I don't know.

Thanks again Stunger for your moral support. :)

It was a challenging time these past weeks, and with a challenging strain. But I have good news. I took an in-depth look through the good old 420 digital microscope and saw mostly milky, opaque capitate trichomes, some clear, and sporadic hints of amber! The trichomes went from mostly clear to mostly milky in the last two days/nights.

Now that Arjan's Haze #1 is definitely "into the window" I started selectively harvesting some of her upper branches today. I will let the lower branches continue ripening for the next few days and harvest accordingly.

Looking back over the photos from the last weeks, it is visible how the trichome production gained momentum. Snow-balling, I am tempted to say. I don't want to let her go too far in the direction of amber trichomes, as this strain is supposed to give a real wowzer of a head high, with way less body (even though they say she produces a small amount of CBN).

Harvest time! :yahoo:

Anyway, here are some photos of the remaining unharvested buds taken today:

Yes of course I'll post a comment on that when harvest is over. I didn't even want to harvest any of AH1 today as tomorrow should be another sunny day and maybe she'll keep going. Letting them get more milky. Milkier. I'll remember your question, that is the most important question, thank you. And how was your WW/Gorgonzola?

If you're still getting good sunny days it would be hard to not make use of them a bit more.

My 2 WW and WW/Gorgonzola are currently looking very nice, green and healthy, but the 4 I kicked off last season also looked great too in the same vegetation stage, hopefully this crop with the addition of the several calcium/dolomite/crushed oyster/mussel shell keep their good looks.

I just came inside after doing additional training to the 3 Quadlined plants. I'll wait a few more days and then take a further close look at the gender structures to see if they have developed further. They are so small, and when photographed and zoomed in to view it is just down to pure chance how much in focus they are and even the angle can make a difference with what you think you are seeing.

However, I did get some good news yesterday, well great news actually! My friend who I shared an order with, finally got a successful delivery on the 3rd attempt :woohoo: It was from 420, so full credit to them for resending 2 additional times. So we now have Gorilla Glue Auto, Chronic Widow, Bergman's Gold Leaf and Californian Dream. I would love to get hold of some higher level genetics but for now this will be great and beggars can't choosers!

Back
Top Bottom