Arjan's Haze #3 in Soil - LED/CFL

Inkdot

Welcome to my grow journal of Arjans Haze #3. This will be my third time growing, all using similar setup in a small closet.

My previous grows were a mystery sativa that grew long and I had to continuously tie her down mid flower and she ended up looking like a corkscrew. Because of lack of knowledge and experience I harvested the mystery sativa probably 1-2 weeks early but the grow overall went very well and the smoke turned out really nice but with a 'green' taste.

My other grow were of the dutch strain Tangerine Dream that went really well initially but I had problems with light burns and nutrient intolerance so I had to kill them 1-2 weeks early as well because all the leaves were dying basically. Not a strain I recommend unless you are an expert grower and wanna go thru the hassle of raising several plants just to find a stable phenotype mother. Fantastic to smoke, horrible to grow. Despite all my troubles I got some nice bud but pretty low yield and very little smell because I harvested early.

Strain:
Arjans Haze #3 from Greenhouse in Holland. The strain is a cross of a haze plant and a laos plant. It is 70-80% sativa genetics but very short and ideal for indoor growing. It is a strain with medium/moderate THC (~13%) but with relative high CBD and very high CBN. I chose this strain because it looks perfect for my casual smoking style, light and giggly with little to no paranoia due to the CBD.

Lighting:
1x Blackstar Hydro 240 W LED panel (made of 3W chips but only draws about 120 W so the chips are not run at full capacity), 2x 65W CFL (one 2400K and one 5700K)

Medium:
Bog standard potting soil (local brand) 47% light peat moss, 47% dark peat moss, 6% sand and some inorganic nutrients and a bit of lime added by the manufacturer. I also added a but of pulverized chicken-egg shells to keep the pH from dropping and providing a slow release of calcium and magnesium.

Nutrients:
Biobizz line (Biogrow, Biobloom, Bioheaven, RootJuice and Topmax). Decided to keep the ferts down to a bare minimum this time and see what happens, since my last plants were super sensitive to nutes I wanna try and do it almost organic this time using mostly pure water.

Day 1

Day_1_b.JPG

Watered with 2-3% Root Juice as additive. For the next 20 days the plant only received pure water.

Day 12

Day_12_2_b.JPG

Up untill this point only the two CFLs have been on. I rotated the plants so each got a little bit of the blueish 5700K light that you can see on the left. Still too early to tell for sure whether I have the same pheno or different ones.

Day 17

Day_17_b.JPG

I love the point when seedling start getting some leaves and just in a few days the size of the plant doubles as a result! The bigger plant in the back has some cupped leaves, probably due to the medium being too wet still from last watering.

Day 23

Day_23_2_b.JPG

Day_23_1_b.JPG

My medium holds moisture well so unless the plants drink alot it takes a long time for it to dry out. I let the medium dry for over a week since last watering and then gave the plant their first mild feeding of NPK nutes (Biogrow and a little but of Biobloom and Bioheaven). Afterwards I noticed that the growth accelerated a bit.

Day 25, present time

Day_25_5_b.JPG

Day_25_4_b.JPG

Day_25_2_b.JPG

Day_25_1_b.JPG

In the overhead shots you can clearly see that I got two separate phenos with different leaf structures. Gonna be exciting to see how the differences manifest during flowering.

Re: Arjans Haze #3 in soil, LED/CFL

Hello!

I just read Bassmans excellent grow journal here, and I got inspired to defoliate all big fan leaves on the main stem to promote bushiness and get more grow tips of equal height. This will likely add another week to veg time at least, to allow the plant to recuperate and grow the fan leaves on the side branches. But I think it might increase my yield since I'm letting the side branches develop.

Day 26 after a trip to the barber

Day_26_2_b.JPG

Day_26_1_b.JPG

Day_26_0_b.JPG

Welcome to my grow 4twenty4all!

Thanks, lets hope they keep that way. I'm planning to veg them for another two weeks or until the stems are about 30cm/10 inch tall.

The last two days has seen very little growth. I think it might be because plants are still in shock from the defoliation. Hopefully they'll forget my transgressions and pick up again soon.

Day_28_2_b.JPG

The growth tip, like a clutched hand, is holding a big droplet.

Easy Inkdot man,
Never knew you had a journal going man. Do you usually use BioBizz? What do you think of it? Nearly used it this time. We can work between each other here with soils , see whats best our side of ocean.

Day 29

Below is a picture of my grow space. How do you think I should train my plants for optimal use of space? I have defoliated all big fan leaves already to promote side branches. Do you think I should also top them? Or do something else perhaps? I have a lot of height in my closet, but not too much area. The plants are also sitting on cardboard boxes to raise them up towards the lights at the moment. If they grow much taller I can lower them as well as raise the LED lights a bit.

Day_29_4_b.JPG

Otherwise, the plants are filling out again after the cuts three days ago. I can't wait to start flowering in 1-2 weeks.

Day_29_3_b.JPG

Day_29_2_b.JPG

Day_29_1_b.JPG

Untill next time! :peace: and :green_heart:

Tough one on the space? Many things will come into play first. Do you have air flow in the room and extraction for heat? How much penetration do LED have?
The room would suit 1 plant good and done right you get more out of having 1 plant fill a space than a few crammed in.

You could LST them to fill the space and keep them topped through veg to have a nice even canopy.

Easy Inkdot man,
Never knew you had a journal going man. Do you usually use BioBizz? What do you think of it? Nearly used it this time. We can work between each other here with soils , see whats best our side of ocean.

Hey JBC! The market for horticulture / cannabis grows here in Sweden is lacking. I just bought regular potting soil for flowering plants in my local supermarket lol!

You have so much more access to good selection of soils etc overseas. I use Biobizz for all my grows so far (still using the same bottles I bought first time). They are organic and their NPK stuff is based on black molasses. Thats all I know really. Seems to work well so far. Glad to see you found my grow. This time I will really focus on using all my grow space and hopefully we'll see some big colas by the end.

My dream is still to be able to grow organic, outdoors. Using electrical lights is really insanity when you think about it, the state of the planet etc. Electricity is a precious resource that takes a big toll on the ecosystem to create. But what can you do with this legal system? Moving outdoors would get me a nice ticket to prison.

I'm thinking for trying SCROG next grow. Maybie with only one plant. Gonna buy some Greenhouse Trainwreck beans for a summer grow. It's not the same Trainwreck as the Arcana cuts but still seems like a nice plant.

Tough one on the space? Many things will come into play first. Do you have air flow in the room and extraction for heat? How much penetration do LED have?
The room would suit 1 plant good and done right you get more out of having 1 plant fill a space than a few crammed in.

You could LST them to fill the space and keep them topped through veg to have a nice even canopy.

I will for sure let them veg a bit longer and also tie down side branches to widen the canopy. I have and exhaust fan connected to a carbon filter. But usually I have the closet door open with a table fan sitting outside blowing air straight on the canopy. The LED is very directional so it should have good penetration. I use the CFLs without reflectors just to round off the emission spectrum and provide some diffuse light. I think this setup is suited for semi tall plants as well as short bushy ones. I also wanna experiment with training techniques. This grow I'm aiming for 40-50g dry bud. Last two grows only gave about 30g each dry.

My dream is still to be able to grow organic, outdoors. Using electrical lights is really insanity when you think about it, the state of the planet etc. Electricity is a precious resource that takes a big toll on the ecosystem to create. But what can you do with this legal system? Moving outdoors would get me a nice ticket to prison.
:thumb:

Yeah a scrog is a good idea, you should try that.

Do you use the BioGrow from Biobizz, I have this but didnt have much success in the past, still have it though but going to try compost teas if I can get away with just using them.

Day 32 veg, topped and happy

So I decided to top them yesterday. The progress the last week has been very good. Look at this.

Day_32_timelapse.jpg

This has got me totally hooked on the defoil stuff! The best part is that the plants have barely grown anything at all in height (about 1 cm in a week!). But the development of side branches has been monumental. Had I not defoliated I'd probably have to flip them to flower about now and not used my space or light in a good way.

In the grow video that Greenhouse made I think they flipped the plants into flower at a height of 42cm and they ended up around 88-90 cm after stretch. My biggest plant is now 20 cm tall (measuring the stem only) and the closet can fit maybe an 80 cm long plant if I make all the room I can. This means I can veg them easy for another one or two weeks and maybie throw in another defoil somewhere in there.

I might be inclined to wait with the defoil untill day 21 of flower thought. Will have to see how the plants develop and go from there. Any advice would be appreciated!

Toppings!

Big plant.
Day_32_3_b.JPG

Small plant.
Day_32_4_b.JPG

If I decide to defoil in veg again, should I wait until the new two main branches grown abit or do it sooner? What I mean is, should I spread out the stressing events or bunch them together. I found that whenever I stress the plant growth is stunted for a few days so should I stack the stress events or spread them out?

As far as health goes I think they look great, my only two concerns are that the leaves are cupped on the big plant and overall the leaves feel very thin, like silk paper almost.

Thanks for watching! :green_heart:

Looking really nice Inkdot! I say flip em now! This plant stretches big time!

*answered your pm*

Hi Inkdot,
They looking great after the top and defoliate. I just looked back to the top and your growing Arjans Haze! Yeh defo flip like Bassman said. So what you going to do , just train it as a flat canopy?

Hey Ink, how are you??
Yes, trimming of some fan leaves to expose the shoots below does give good results as it allows the shoots to get full light not shadowed.. I trim mine here and there as needed, and instead of stripping each branch of their fans, I stagger them, say, 1 from one branch and another from the opposite just so there s not much extra stress on her, and my girl usually shows no signs of slowing down after her trimming ( and Ive been more aggressive this time by taking branches as well ) I just feed her a little Seaweed extract after I take a fair few leaves, to try give her some minerals and such she may have lost as a result of the trimming..
Your Grow space is a tough one - as its more tall than wide, IMO, 1 plant would be better as you could just fill out the space with one, but Im not sugesting you toss your others, but since youve topped em, hope that helps a little, but you may need to do as I do, and attach some tether points ( you can use some screw in cup hooks, or stick on ones as I do ) and then tether the branches out so you can position them as best you can for growth.. Also, just wondering - Is that the normal height you have your LED at in that pic?? Id have it lower mate, you have fairly tight spacings between nodes, and theyre nice n bushy but you MAY be wasting some light, unless youve had to have it @ that height for heat or such? What do you intend to use for flower lighting mate.. Nice work keep it up. Smokemup

Hi Inkdot,
They looking great after the top and defoliate. I just looked back to the top and your growing Arjans Haze! Yeh defo flip like Bassman said. So what you going to do , just train it as a flat canopy?

Thanks JBC! :)

The name of these strains suck! It's too easy to confuse Arjans Haze #X with Arjans Haze #Y, then there is Arjans Ultra Haze, Arjans Strawberry Haze bla bla bla. Arjan is so full of himself lol! Even more fun since most of these strains are completely unrelated and have vastly different traits. I'm growing Arjans Haze #3 that is advertised as a bushy midget sativa dominated strain. Seems almost a little too short and sometimes you wonder about the authenticity of the supposed sativa lineage.

Anyhow, I don't pretend to know how it will stretch because I've never grown it before but if you look at other grows of AH #3 its really not too bad. This one seems to behave more like a classical indoor hybrid with a longer then average flowering time.

Hopefully I can veg them at least one more week to better train and fill the closet. :morenutes:

Hey Ink, how are you??
Your Grow space is a tough one - as its more tall than wide, IMO, 1 plant would be better as you could just fill out the space with one, but Im not sugesting you toss your others, but since youve topped em, hope that helps a little, but you may need to do as I do, and attach some tether points ( you can use some screw in cup hooks, or stick on ones as I do ) and then tether the branches out so you can position them as best you can for growth.. Also, just wondering - Is that the normal height you have your LED at in that pic?? Id have it lower mate, you have fairly tight spacings between nodes, and theyre nice n bushy but you MAY be wasting some light, unless youve had to have it @ that height for heat or such? What do you intend to use for flower lighting mate.. Nice work keep it up. Smokemup

Hey smoke! Nice to see you here. Things here are fine as can be, except for all snow and shit! :)

About the space, next time I'll look into building a SCROG and running one plant in the big air pot.

I'll just use the same lights in flower, it's the only lights I own because I'm a cheap bastard! I think the LED is better for flower then veg anyway, it has more red diodes then blue. It also has some other stuff, one UV, one IR and a couple of cool white chips. I would like to lower it a bit as well but it's too much of a hassle since I lack adjustable straps and stuff of that nature. The only easy thing I can do to it is raise it a bit maybe 6-7 inches or so. Plants don't seem to mind so far.

Btw, do you know about Aussie outdoor grower called Kog? He seems like quite the character lol! I read about him in a book and then watched his grow video. Now I'm thinking about buying his book 'A growers lot' just to find out how a guy like that writes! :cheesygrinsmiley:

I'll follow along! I made it just in time.

Welcome mate! The more the merrier.

Throught the canopy

So if you have no interesting progress to add but still obsessed with photographing your only two plants you can always try to make one of those wannabe artsy posts. Sometimes I wonder if my affection to these plants is normal?

About the only good thing with cell phone cameras is that you can stick them inside anything.

Day_33_6_.JPG

Day_33_5_.JPG

Day_33_4_.JPG

Day_33_2_.JPG

So in the next universe I wanna be a ganja gnome living inside a snail shell under a giant ganja plant, eating amanitas and basking in a stream of fotons filtered green through the finger shaped leaves while chatting with a flirty earth worm. An angry ladybug stares at us, complaining about todays youth.

On another note here is the video of Kog the old school Aussie outdoor grower. If you hang around 420mag you will probably not learn anything new about growing but this guy is quite the character and is worth the watch!

:thumb:

[video=youtube;MHEuMqyTHEU]
[/video]

Peace! :peace:

NO worries INK:)
And yeah I dont know about a scrog?? What size is your space ( height and width ) as if its more taller than wide, Id seriously consider doing 1 plant, as you can probably get a larger yield.. Maybe topping or so would do you justice as you can try maximise yield?
Just about your comment on raising the light, Im pretty much in the tight arse stage myself:) And most things I use are all DIY. I made a rail up top out of some 1.5 inch dowel secured either end up top and I just got a couple metres of some smaller sized chain, and then attached it to the hang points on the reflector. And just over the day moved it left or right and I can lower it or raise it just by un hooking it and then attaching it to a lower link or higher one. Very easy, not James Bond style but none the less EFFECTIVE!!
I still use a similar method except I got some old curtian rails from like a hospital that has tracks in it with small hooks, so that was just cut to size and fitted.
The LED panel I believe does have Uv lights installed, and also may have adequate spectrums for flower or Veg, I dont know for sure.. And I am pretty sure I was flicking thru one of Kogs books @ our nearest hydro store - I think he s written a couple of books??
I really hope your grow goes well, and cant wait to see ya buds:):)
Take it easy Ink, Smokemup..

The dimensions on the biggest plant right now are insane; 20 cm tall and 45 cm wide (8"x18"). Vertical growth is not happening at the moment, making me confident of vegging more to fatten the whole thing and getting bigger roots before flower. :)

LED distance from canopy is 50 cm (20"). I'm just gonna let that be at the moment, if the plants want to come closer they have to move there them self. I'm not gonna do everything for them lol!

The closet area is around 50x60 cm and I can fit maybe a 80 cm tall plant before they get too close to the LED if I make all the vertical room I can. I'll switch to 12/12 when the height of the plants exceed 25 cm and hopefully they won't stretch too tall. If they grow too tall I'll do a hard strip and/or supercrop!

Cheers! :cheer:

Mate - Kogs a champ!! True Aussie spirit there:) Friggin 16 million dollars - See the BULLSHIT that our police try to enforce - estimating seedlings @ thousands of dollars, well sure once matured and harvested - but the again theyre predicting a certain amount of yield P/plant and screw ya for it.
Its like in USA I guess, each state has different laws, which I find ridiculous - there should be a standard law set for all, not some crap where a guy can grow a nice crop of weed outside no drama's, but cross over the river and the bloke on the opposite side in a different state only 5 metres from the border line GETS ROOTED and not in a good way!!
His attitude is similar to the old couple I met many years back, true old school pioneers, nothing fancy just some general knowledge and a little work and BAMM! Mad ganja!!!
See hydro here didnt really take off until the late 90's, and the large majority was all outdoor, but good quality as we have some long summer days here and in certain places they average over 30*c temps and longer daylight hours, creating near perfect growing conditions.
Then this hype came around from ppl who really didnt even know what they were talking about, saying, Is it hydro or outdoor?? Ya could have given them outdoor and theyd have known no difference - it was just a term wannabe know all stoners used as a bartering system type thing as theyd say, na I dont want outdoor?? IDIOTS!!!
This is where i have had the benefits of growing up thru these 3 decades of growing and bullshit mis leading stories, and was fortunate enough to be shown a few things from people who didnt talk, THEY ACTED!! This is me, I am not usually one to talk outta school, I JUST DO THINGS..like the joker from batman.. lol. So from all the fairytale stories I heard from my friends who used to talk of setting up hydro and how its better than outdoor - I even thought this was true for a while until I was told different and seen different, as at the time I hadnt really seen a Hydro setup! Then i got upto speed and then I was like, these outdoor buds and indoor look the same?? Some outdoor dod have a lesser strength to it I guess, but this was also from un educated growers, just putting seeds in the ground and watering.
From this Ive seen alot of male plants grown!! And they still try to palm it off to people??
I couldnt watch all KOGs clip, but will when I get the chance but yeah that was mad, thanks for posting it!!
Take it easy mate, I need a COFFEE FIX.. and a cone:) Later bro, Smokemup..

Back
Top Bottom