Arjan's Haze #3 in Soil - LED/CFL

Todays photo harvest

Day 13, almost two weeks of flowering, over three weeks of 12/12. It's actually 11/13 now, gonna go down to 10/14 eventually.

Unlucky day 13 for the plants who got another haircut. I figured they are probably done stretching. And if not, I don't see how this defoliation will stop them. But anyhow, I'm gonna wait a while and see how they react to this before I mess with them again lol!

Silk gloves on now I don't wanna fuck anything up like last grow. Knock on wood! :helpsmilie:

Flowering_day_13_2_.JPG
Flowering_day_13_1_.JPG
Flowering_day_13_0_.JPG

Peace! :peace:

They look great inkdot, doesnt look like you going to F anything up mate, very happy and healthy. You gonna have a good harvest here mate. Reps at you bruva :)

Day 15 question!

Hola 420!

So I'm liking the progress even though they only stretched half as much as I had hoped for. That's is why I'm probably gonna grow this strain again to get the height right.

Anyway, I wanted to ask something.

If you look at the photos below you can see, and I think I mentioned this before, that big air pot plant seems to be pretty much a week behind in flower development. Why?

Air pot, small heads

Flowering_day_15_12_b.JPG
Flowering_day_15_13_b.JPG

Flowering_day_15_14_b.JPG

Orange pot, bigger heads

Flowering_day_15_10_b.JPG

Flowering_day_15_7_b.JPG

Flowering_day_15_0_b.jpg
Flowering_day_15_2_b.JPG

What could be the possible reasons for this?

Overview from today
Flowering_day_15_5_b.JPG

Peace! :peace:

Inkdot... Sent ya an important pm on the drink. I'm almost done making it for mom. Take a look if ya can.

I'll catch up on your great journal after I take care of her.

:thumb:

Inkdot... Sent ya an important pm on the drink. I'm almost done making it for mom. Take a look if ya can.

I'll catch up on your great journal after I take care of her.

Replied to your pm, my general advice is to start with little and work up. Hope everything works well! Another thing with milk is that it hits faster so that's to be expected. Still I'd give it two hours to be on the safe side.

I defoliated some more today. They're growing like crazy right now! :thumb:

Nice journal! :goodjob:

Welcome SC! I can't grow big ones like you do but I do my best with what I got haha.

The girls are looking good Inkdot. However, I would suggest not taking any leaves off during the first 21 days of flower unless you really have too. And then minimally. It's really slows down stretch each time you do it. And if you hit em hard enough it'll basically shut it down. Which is fine if you're at max height. But stretch does also open up the plants some too. Which of course is what we're doing with defoliation as well. If you want to open them up during stretch you can also super crop them and it won't slow down the stretch.

Then once stretch is over I hit em hard!

I love your enthusiasm towards defoliation. Just remember why and what period, it'll soon become 2nd nature. For those of us highly limited on the amount of light we can give our girls, it's a great thing for our ladies. Just don't forget, each time we hit em, it does slow down some other aspect a little.

Hey Ink, Good to see ur girls into flower now:) Bet youre itching for sum juicy nugs!!
Theyre looking nice and healthy mate, nice work.. Sorry I just had to interject - BASSMAN: I think maybe my more agressive trimming may have slowed down my girls stretching, as she is @4.5ft as opposed to Cindys 6.5ft. The earlier Flowering may have also been part of the size probs, But I really would be pissed off at myself if my Defoliation was the result of the poor stretch??
She neveer really put out alot of big fans anyway, and Ive left her with a fair bit of leaf material But I still wonder now if I screwed her up??
Sorry for the Hijak Ink;) I had to say when I read that, my anxiety doubled!! Damn stoopid me.. But yeah, glad all is going along nice for ya, so best of luck and will stop by again soon mate;) Catch ya, Smokemup.

Ink, here are a few ideas as to why the airpot flowers are smaller.

1. Not getting the same amount of the LED light or perhaps CFL light. Is it the same distance from the light, both vertically and horizontally?

2. Because of the air pot, perhaps the roots are growing more, more feeder roots, so it is stretching more, putting more energy into growing taller before focusing energy on flowers. It does look taller.

Hey Inkot mate, girls are looking amazing, flowing niiiiice. Great Info off Bassman there. I never knew defoil during stretch slows stretch but come to think of it, I did it once and my TD ended up quite small after big defoils in early flower. But if you think about it , it will happen as defoil stunts growth and during stretch is no different. :thumb:

Bass do you count flowering from day 1 of 12/12 or when you start seeing flowers? I defoliated after like 22-23 days of 12/12 but day 12-13 something of flowering.

Anyway, don't think they were gonna stretch much more anyway. If I grow this strain again I'll think I be able to get the size right. These turned out maybe a little too compact and could be a bit taller as well. Still gonna get my best yield if things keep progressing as can be expected.

Those nodes are a little tight and the branches are a little too close but I can always tie down a few branches to spread them out but they are gonna require a lot of maintenance to make sure the vegetation don't close up rapidly from all the little side branch leaves coming all over the place.

Some pics from today:

Some colitas:

IMG_13916.JPG

See the thick undergrowth? That is gonna need some work done soon:

IMG_13887.JPG

Flowers on air pot plant are starting to show more:

IMG_139611.JPG

Day 21 flowering, in the cold winter sun

Today we finally got some sun so I decided to make a lot of crappy high contrast photos with my cell phone cam. Pics were taked at around noon and the sun is already loooow. :phew:
But what goes around comes around, can't wait for those 20h summer days coming soon! :surf:

I always love studying my plants in sunlight since I can see much clearer the colors and textures to assess health etc.

Not much to add except that I super cropped the big air pot plant some (no pictures sorry, will include them in next update perhaps as a before and after comparison). Otherwise I'm gonna resume defoliation as I see needed but now I'm gonna let them rest for a bit, at least 4 days before I mess with them again in any way.

From now on I'll probably only do one big photo update per week since not much is happening day to day at this stage.

Flowering_day_21_1_b.JPG
Flowering_day_21_7_b.JPG
Flowering_day_21_9_b.JPG
Flowering_day_21_6_b.JPG
Flowering_day_21_2_b.JPG
Flowering_day_21_10_b.JPG
Flowering_day_21_11_b.JPG
Flowering_day_21_14_b.JPG
Flowering_day_21_15_b.JPG
Flowering_day_21_13_b.JPG
Flowering_day_21_12_b.JPG
Flowering_day_21_16_b.JPG
Flowering_day_21_19_b.JPG
Flowering_day_21_17_b.JPG
Flowering_day_21_20_b.JPG
Flowering_day_21_21_b.JPG

As you can see, resin production has set in and she is starting to reward me with a fresh fruity smell (more sour than sweet) with nutty undertones.

:peace:

They recover really fast and seems to super thrive in your care! :thumb:

I usually use the technique LTA (leave them alone) but thanks to you (and Bassman59 of course) im thinking of do some defoliation on half of my remaining veggie-batch in A couple of weeks when they are old enough my self. Have tried to top, fim, lst and defoliation before but I not in A "controlled environment" as now with strain experience and a bunch of them so I can have one test group and one untouched for comparison.
-Thanks for the inspiration! :blushsmile:

They recover really fast and seems to super thrive in your care! :thumb:

I usually use the technique LTA (leave them alone) but thanks to you (and Bassman59 of course) im thinking of do some defoliation on half of my remaining veggie-batch in A couple of weeks when they are old enough my self. Have tried to top, fim, lst and defoliation before but I not in A "controlled environment" as now with strain experience and a bunch of them so I can have one test group and one untouched for comparison.
-Thanks for the inspiration! :blushsmile:

That is a great idea SC! I respect growers who try new things.

I'm the opposite, I have to really force myself to leave them alone sometimes and not constantly mess with them. I guess I'm a bit impatient lol.

I don't regret trying this defoliation method at all because I learned a lot about growing, but I think I need another run with the same strain to get it right. However I'm still convinced that this grow will yield more than my others before in the same closet!

My plants are too dense and that is because I defoliated too much second time and also because they didn't stretch as much as I had anticipated, another factor might be that I didn't let them recover enough after second defoliation before I put them to flower. Perhaps it should be expected to fail a little when you try a new way of growing and with a new strain?

Maybe I should have grown this strain with minimum training first to get a feel for it. But that would be boring...

Next time I might try it with only one big plant. First a heavy defoliation in veg then after 10-14 days another, but the second will leave a few more leaves at the grow tips of the side branches that I want to promote for an even canopy. I will let it get bigger in veg. Then in flower I'll do the day 21 defoliation after I'm convinced that stretching has stopped. I will probably also do a lot of super cropping to space out the branches and let it fill the closet sides, and also to suppress any branches that grow too tall compared to the rest.

That's the initial plan anyway. We'll see what happens! :biglaugh:

That's the initial plan anyway. We'll see what happens! :biglaugh:
Hehe...
It's to easy to get stuck in old routines and how fun is that? ..it's fortunate forums like this one exists!

:green_heart:

420! Roll a spliff and join my drawing board as I plan my summer run!

Try not to get too wasted though because I want you to dissect and attack my next battle plan of the defoliation method.This plan is my first adaptation for this specific strain, the lovely Arjans Haze #3 and I would love some input.

Hehe...
It's to easy to get stuck in old routines and how fun is that? ..it's fortunate forums like this one exists!

:green_heart:
Couldn't agree more SC! :thumb:

Now here is how I'm planning to defoliate next time I grow Arjan's Haze #3.

For the 2nd defoliation I will keep more leaves near the grow tips that I want to give a competitive edge. This is true specially for the lower branches. The main stem though, will probably receive a heavy defoliation if it's taller then the other grow tips or if its fan leaves are blocking too much (but then I should super crop to spread outwards also).

If some side branches would reach the same height as the main stem I will also give them a heavy defoliation. But since I'm not gonna top I don't think that will happen.

Defoliation_scheme.png

The first defoliation will happen at around day 18-20 and the second one or two weeks later depending on growth. For the 2nd defoliation I only painted the lowest set of side branches for clarity (and laziness!) but you get the picture, the higher up I go the more I will take off.

Take a look at my visualization of the changes for next round.

Defoliation_scheme_Second_defoliation_in_veg_planned_changes.jpg

I'll raise them on CFL's only a while longer in veg to get longer inter nodes, I think this is essential to have sufficient space between branches if you're gonna defoliate during veg. And as I now know the plants won't stretch too much I don't have to worry about height restrictions, with this training method I'll run out of width first.

The shape I'm trying to achieve is a fairly flat, slightly cone shaped, canopy. The cone or pyramid shape will give more canopy surface area inside the high intensity light zone. I will keep stripping the mail stem until the side branches catches up but then I must also have a longer inter node distance at all the base levels. I will strive to reach an equilibrium between density and volume Now my plants are too dense, short and risk closing up very easy blocking light.

But at least they are healthy so I shouldn't complain! :rofl:

Next round I'll do another AH#3 in the big air pot and probably a new auto flowering strain in the smaller orange pot, perhaps Think Different or StarRyder from Dutch Passion. Anyone had experience with that seed company or know anything about those strains?

What do you dear 420 cannabis enthusiasts think of Dutch Passion? Never had any experience with them...

:hmmmm::rollingeyes::hmmmm:

Next round I'll also get my hand on another soil. Not that there is anything wrong with this one in particular but I wanna get some higher quality horticultural soil similar to FF Ocean Forest or something like that. We don't have that one over here but I think it's similar to what I'm hoping to get. I will amend the soil with 20% worm castings and ground chicken egg shells as a slow release CaO3, maybe just maybe I'll add 5% perlite but I might just skip that one.

With that soil I'll need a lighter mix for seedlings as it might be too loaded for them. This time I put the seeds directly into the big pots with no problem as I was lucky that this strain handles wet conditions well. But I wanna move away from water feeding so much and just focus on getting a soil that lasts 4-5 weeks before I need to feed liquid food. Ideally I wanna just use water up until the midpoint of flowering but then I'll need bigger pots and a lot of different ingredients that I'm not gonna buy because I grow on such a small scale I should keep is simple and cheap.

SOOOOO anyway. Those were some of my though. Don't get me wrong I'm not dissatisfied with this grow but I really want to improve so that I can grow some epic dank bud like so many awesome growers here! Thank you for inspiration and knowledge!

NAMASTE BIACHES! I love you.
:green_heart: :Namaste: :Namaste: :Namaste: :Namaste: :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom