AscendedMasterKief's Third Grow: Bagseed - Soil - CFLs

Okay, I figured it was time I start my third journal. Been updating progress of my closet in my blog (in my sig), but am getting very close now. Waiting on a few parts (light sockets). That being said, I've got some seeds in the dirt already, outside, in SOLO cups. So far 2/8 have sprouted since I planted them on 26 September (last Thursday). Expecting a few males, since all are bagseed, but may get lucky. Some of the seeds are from brick (the few that weren't crushed), some from some stanky danky sticky icky icky, if I remember the buds and effects right. Didn't take notes when putting seeds up.

Anywho, here we go.

Growing medium: currently bovine manure and compost, .01 .01 .01
Containers: currently 16oz SOLO cups (red)
Growth stage: currently 2 are seedlings, 6 are still seeds
Room/etc: 6sqft closet, 5 foot tall from floor to closet ceiling; shiny bubble wrap for windows, used to "coat" walls of cabinet.
Lighting: currently the sun; planning 12 23w CFLs, when the sockets arrive. Currently getting less than 12 hours of light outside, and I'm actually thinking of going 12/12 inside as soon as they're in there, till finish. No-mercy style. Also, planning to get some floro tubes for the corners of the closet, as well.
Nutes: None currently. Going to stay organic on this, as much as I can.
Water: Watering them when they feel lightweight. The unsprouted I'm watering a little bit more, not letting the top of the soil get too dry. pH tester is on order, as well.

In hindsight (ain't it a bitch that hindsight is always 20/20?) I realize I could have used a better method to germ the seeds than to stick 'em in some composted poop. But since two have sprouted under identical conditions, I have hope. Let's see if I can find any pics I've got so far.

The closet, as of last week.
000_00036.JPG
000_00077.JPG
000_00083.JPG

The seedlings! (there's a few sunflower seedlings, too, in front.)
Seedlings_28-9-2013.jpg

I'll do my best to keep this updated, I figured it was time for a new journal. :) :welcome: and enjoy the grow!:peace:

Re: AscendedMasterKief's Third Grow: Bagseed, soil, CFLs

Forgot to mention ventilation. Got a round fan, instead of that squirrel cage now, as exhaust. No filter. Gonna use the squirrel cage for intake. Also I have that old little fan (from my last two grows) on the door.

I'll try to get more pics tomorrow.

Sockets should arrive soon, and going to the giant evil store we all know as Walmart today, to grab some more stuff, as well. I'd like to hack a furnace filter, and get some sort of cheap louvered vent, for air intake. Wanting a filter, to keep dust/dirt/cat hair out of the cabinet. Found a very quiet yet way-too-powerful blower in my shed that may be used if temps get too high, for intake. As it stands, though, it'll be a passive intake, with the exhaust pulling air through, but I have to admit, it is not moving as much air as I'd like. An intake hole in the wall would likely help. That's why I need a vent cover of some sort. Gonna get that before I hack up the walls/door. Will likely grab a weather thingy at the big evil store today. Still waiting on sockets. May order a microscope from that South American river, but it surely ain't needed yet. I like to look at shit under a microscope though, as I find that fun while baked, hehehe. I vacuumed out the closet yesterday, of all the sawdust and shit, wiped the walls down (already did the paneling under the silver stuff, now wiped the silver stuff down). Going for CLEAN, Clean, clean. May set a bomb off in there, just to make sure there's nothing alive in the closet. I want NO pests. The mites were really getting me down last grow. I'm already risking problems by letting the gals start outdoors. The Seven P's have eluded me: Proper Previous Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance. So, playing catch-up on planning again.

I'll try to get some pics this afternoon, when I get back from the devil store.

(if ya haven't noticed, I hold a strong dislike for Walmart)

Thanks, King John!

Well, got my sockets! Set up my lights. Took a while figuring how to jury-rig 12 sockets with few materials, and only six wire nuts, lol. Used a wire shelf, snipped every other rung, snapped the sockets into it. Wired it all up. Not sure if you could call it parallel, but it ain't in series. Once I figure out how to hang this, I'll fire it up in the closet for a day or two, to take temperature readings. But I ain't gonna be opening the door every couple hours, probably once at mid-day, and again right before lights off, and again during mid-night. Went on a kick-ass boat ride last night, got plastered, and REALLY heavily medicated. Still feeling awesome today. Got a seed from that bag (bomb-ass stuff) as well, but it's small, white, and probably immature, but we'll see.

As it is, I can still add more lights to the center of the rack. :) And this should run very cool, considering ease of air flow. :)

I can't wait to see how well lit-up the closet will be!

Pics!
100_4054.JPG

100_40572.JPG

100_40551.JPG

100_40562.JPG

Here it is, installed. Plus, another seed popped. :)

If I don't make it adjustable, gonna have to make the plants adjustable, height-wise.
100_40591.JPG
100_40613.JPG

100_40623.JPG

With that said, gonna say later, folks. Going out on the boat, gonna get stoned, and drunk, and hopefully catch a bunch of fish.

I like your light array, if you can figure out a way to attach chains or a pulley system to it to raise and lower your lights it would maximize its distance to the canopy. add a light reflector to the design and your set.

Thanks, John. I do want to make my lights adjustable, because I don't want to have to raise and lower the plants, once they're in there. I'd have to be remounting my fans almost every few days, lol. I will be working on a reflector of some sort, but also want to maximize airflow through the thing, adding a few computer fans tomorrow to it. Gonna mount my 12 volt (10A) bench supply in the space above, and just run wires to the fans, with maybe a curly phone cord.

Grrrrrr! WIsh I had money. Wanting proper nutes. Anywho, been reading on No Mercy Seeds 12/12 Hours 7 Harvests a Year System and about nutes, and seem to get the impression that veggie nutes in No-Mercy grow are only for the first couple weeks or so. Because of that, been looking for deals on just flower nutes, since the medium I plan to grow these in is Lambert organic mix at HD, and it doesn't have many more nutes than the cow poop the seeds are in. Basically, I don't want to use Miracle Grow this run if I can avoid it. Will my plants make it till November 1st on no added nutes?

EDIT 1: I oughtta add, if I hadn't in an earlier post, that even outdoors right now, it's 12/12, and planning on keeping it that indoors, as soon as I make my lights adjustable. Basically, just bring seedlings in as they're ready to come in, no need to put 'em all in there at once, already got 3/8 so far that can come in soon. Can bring the others in a week or so after they pop, I'm thinking.

EDIT 2: Since I've already bought so much shit for growing at my local HD and Walmart, pretty much teh only two big-box stores in town, I'm planning to order online for nutes and any more materials, for a while, anyway. Now I've seen the sponsors here, and loads of journals raving this brand or that for nutes, I am having a hard time finding a online retailer that's cheap, discreet, and has all of what I want, and promises they won't sell my info to the authorities. Any recommendations for US shops and what might be good nutes that are affordable to a guy broker than broke?

EDIT 3: I think what I mean is that I didn't see supply suppliers in the sponsor list, but would like to buy supplies from a sponsor, but can't find a supplier, I think.

EDIT 4: Please don't mind me, ain't slept all night. Outta dope, lol.

EDIT 5: That reminds me, I want to buy some seeds from Herbies. :)

your plants should make it to the first of November without adding nutrients depending on the makeup of your soil, they will be smaller then if you had added nutrients.

Right now the seedlings are in 16oz (red) SOLO cups, filled with organic composted manure, from cows. 0.01-0.01-0.01 (shit, it might be 0.1-0.1-0.1, my mistake)

Temps were hitting the tripple digits. so far, no problem, except for the 3L hempy I got started, not easy to put her back outside. Will be posting pics. I did some major drunken ventilation mods yesterday/today/this morning. No sleep last night, don't remember much from today or this past week.

Decided to just be lazy, and cheap, and went to the local big box to grab some nutrients. Got "Orchid Better-Bloom." It's a 11-35-15, with no urea. Going REALLY light on it. It's a blue crystal type of stuff supposed to mix a Tablespoon with a gallon of water, I went with a teaspoon for two gallons of water. Setup a 3L hempy, pics to follow soon. Got the regular old cow shit compost in the top, with a bubbler underneath, got a couple little roots poking out already. Still on 12/12, gonna call this End of Week One (7 October 2013). Week Two merciless (don't wanna use the possibly-TMd No Mercy ;) ;) ) Flower begins tomorrow.

Big Photo Update. Not all pics are in chronological, or even logical, order.
100_40911.JPG
100_40881.JPG
100_40802.JPG
100_4076.JPG
100_4077.JPG
100_4078.JPG
100_4071.JPG
100_40971.JPG
100_40963.JPG
100_40954.JPG
100_40891.JPG
100_40851.JPG
100_40841.JPG
100_4087.JPG
100_40943.JPG
100_4091.JPG
100_40861.JPG
100_4083.JPG
100_40681.JPG
100_40691.JPG
100_4070.JPG
100_40721.JPG
100_4074.JPG
100_40821.JPG
100_4081.JPG
100_40751.JPG

The "hempstick" in the 3L is to support that seedling. Shortly after I set that up, the top fell sideways into the reservoir, breaking the soft stem of the seedling. It's being held up, and growing now, though the stem is a little bruised.

Since the closet is a little warmer than I like, and the airflow ain't quite like I like it to be yet, I think tomorrow I'm gonna make a simple brewer's thing in there, for CO2. May as well distill the alcohol in it afterward then, and sell it to snowbirds as moonshine, lol. Make up for overhead and everything right? Or I could do a good thing, and put the distillates in my scooter's gas tank. Or something.

Baked off my ass tonight, chilling, listening to music.

Thanks!

Roots have begun coming out the 3L top, into the res! :) Pics later, if I remember. I guess that makes my plant #3 a hydro plant. :)

Back
Top Bottom