Roughly 40 days. It really just depends on how they look. I’ve thought my plants were ready to flip at day 35 last time and rarely do I let them go past 42, so 5-6 weeks is the range.

I just want to add that you should not forget about the media. Speed vary depending on the media. Things happen faster in coco than soil.

That is very true. I look at soil grows every now and then and they are much slower and the plants do not regenerate as fast from defol and training.

Exactly! When I was looking on the net at wonderful defoliation results, I didn't understand why mine were taking that longer to recover. Looking better made me see the pots! Most of it were in coco or Hydro. Dwc seems to be the fastest. That's crazy how some guys can defol and have bushy plants as soon as 1 week later!

It s the same for the big buds.

Latest thing I discovered is the rockwool cube. I've linked two interesting videos in my thread. Seems it promotes big trunks and big stems! That's how some guys manage to get arm sized colas on small plants (along with good nutrients)

I

I just want to add that you should not forget about the media. Speed vary depending on the media. Things happen faster in coco than soil.

Definitely. My setup is for Hydro. Coco is Hydro. Although I will say that if your plants are in optimal health the bounce back in soil shouldn’t take forever either. Also, I always lower the ppm of the next feeding after I do a big defoliation as there is less leaf to absorb light which means the plants won’t need as much nutrients for that day. If you don’t dial it back you’ll often see just a touch of nute burn.

I did exactly that n didnt drop nutes... nute burn galore at week 4 of flower hit hard after the defoiling during stretch.

I did exactly that n didnt drop nutes... nute burn galore at week 4 of flower hit hard after the defoiling during stretch.
Thanks for sharing. In fact they say to reduce feeding after defoliated at end of stretch. The plant as less leaves so need less nutrients. Thanks for sharing this as this video really made me wanting to defoliate like this and I want it to succeed like that :

Damn. Now that is a grow room. That also looks to be hydro with the trays and those are huge pots. Pot size does make a difference. My last grow I had a mix of 2 and 3 gallon pots. The 3 gallon pots performed way better than the 2's. Everything that I am growing now is in 3's. I have 5's that I will probably test out next time. The only downside to the bigger pots is more nutes/watering to get some runoff.

Damn. Now that is a grow room. That also looks to be hydro with the trays and those are huge pots. Pot size does make a difference. My last grow I had a mix of 2 and 3 gallon pots. The 3 gallon pots performed way better than the 2's. Everything that I am growing now is in 3's. I have 5's that I will probably test out next time. The only downside to the bigger pots is more nutes/watering to get some runoff.

In fact the video is impressive! In fact big pots = big roots big trunk = big stems = big buds!

From all the grow journals I ve seen so far (including videos etc...) 5 gal seems to be the right size for regular 3 foot tall weed plants. I saw a video of growpotcheaply that I linked in my journal showing a huge auto ultimate XXL in a 3 gal pot. The secret of this is growing in rockwool with coco mat on the bottom of the pot. The plant is planted in a 4inches rockwool cube as the science seems to say that the most important part of the plant is the first 4 inches in the ground. Have a look at the video in my Grow journal in Page 7 I think. The rockwool ofter good conditions for water and oxygen. The roots can spread and evolve wonderfully. The coco mat prevent the roots to stuck in the back of the pot. When they hit the coco mat they go back to the upper part. This allow a thick huge root system. The plants develop huge hole inside the trunk and stems which allow maximum nutrient and water circulation ! Can't wait to test this in my next grow

Also if the roots don’t fill out the pot well enough the coco can be too saturated and cause algae problems. You have to veg longer in bigger pots. The extra veg time can be a real downer if not planned in advance. If flipped before they fill out the pots well enough and you’ll just get small plants in big pots and not be happy. I’ve been thinking of maybe going down to 2 plants per tent and growing them in 5 gallon pots or even doing 1 monster plant in a tent by itself in a 7 gallon. I don’t think I’d ever need larger than a 7 gallon pot for anything I’d do in a 4x4’ tent.

In fact the video is impressive! In fact big pots = big roots big trunk = big stems = big buds!

From all the grow journals I ve seen so far (including videos etc...) 5 gal seems to be the right size for regular 3 foot tall weed plants. I saw a video of growpotcheaply that I linked in my journal showing a huge auto ultimate XXL in a 3 gal pot. The secret of this is growing in rockwool with coco mat on the bottom of the pot. The plant is planted in a 4inches rockwool cube as the science seems to say that the most important part of the plant is the first 4 inches in the ground. Have a look at the video in my Grow journal in Page 7 I think. The rockwool ofter good conditions for water and oxygen. The roots can spread and evolve wonderfully. The coco mat prevent the roots to stuck in the back of the pot. When they hit the coco mat they go back to the upper part. This allow a thick huge root system. The plants develop huge hole inside the trunk and stems which allow maximum nutrient and water circulation ! Can't wait to test this in my next grow

This sounds like all the reasons I grow in coco! I guess I need to do some research on rockwool as it doesn’t sound hardly any different to me. My current girls in flower are 3 feet tall. ;)

I agree. 7's in coco would be the biggest i would go. The 3's are a pretty good size. I would want more lighting to grow plants larger than 120cm from the top of the pots. The 2's were totally root bound in the last grow. I also use great white as a root stimulator as recommended by cultuvator. I think it helps fill the pots out.

This sounds like all the reasons I grow in coco! I guess I need to do some research on rockwool as it doesn’t sound hardly any different to me. My current girls in flower are 3 feet tall. ;)
I know you re the champ :)

Can't wait to share my next grow with you guys!

I agree. 7's in coco would be the biggest i would go. The 3's are a pretty good size. I would want more lighting to grow plants larger than 120cm from the top of the pots. The 2's were totally root bound in the last grow. I also use great white as a root stimulator as recommended by cultuvator. I think it helps fill the pots out.

I use both Great White and Rapidstart. Love both of those products.

Well I finally had the time and right parts to fix my computer! I am so happy. While I was waiting to re-install a bunch of stuff I decided to get my seeds out and figure out what my next grow might be. After I laid them all out nicely I realized I will likely be cloning and I need to think of a better plan than starting 4 more seeds. I will also be starting my outdoor gardens seeds soon as well (fruits and veggies). So I ended up deciding nothing and just took a picture instead of the collection (sorry it's kind of blurry). Once I figure out my plan and how many seeds I'm going to need I'll likely ask for input from the viewers. If you see something you really would like grown save it and I'm sure I'll be asking very soon for opinions.

It's like a store nice!!

All free from prizes from this site! Gotta love the sponsors that this 420 Magazine has. They really do support the contests.

Oh and that reminds me. There is a link in my signature for the contests and only about a week left to vote. If anyone that follows me doesn't normally vote, I'd encourage you to get out there and vote. There is a lot of people that do good work on this site and put a lot of time in helping others and that should be rewarded. The one simple way to do so is to make sure you vote in the contests and let the sponsors do their job and reward winners!

:adore: Jesus! I can see why you are a hot topic on a bunch of threads right now! Damn! I've never seen such madness!

I apologize as I think I missed this post somehow! Thank you for the kind words. I'm building a little army of coco growers and you are probably viewing their threads. All seem to be doing extremely well right now so they are making me look better than I probably am. Thanks for stopping by the madness and I hope you stick around for more!

Day 35 Veg Tent A - Day 41 Flower Tent B

I've been helping house sit and haven't been around my grow area much lately so it was really nice to spend a little bit of time with the girls today. I remember my first grow or two and rushing to see them 4-5 times a day and spending hours with them sometimes. It's kind of ironic because a new grower just wants to try everything all at once and get immediate results. The best thing you can do is the opposite and that is let them be and don't mess around and change things all the time. I've been only able to just feed them and leave but they all look great to me. Hit the training at the right time and do a little defoliation here and there and this whole growing thing becomes easier and easier. There are many gaps in growing where you just plain shouldn't be doing hardly anything to your plants as that is the best thing for them so just feed them and enjoy that. Patience is your #1 virtue in growing.

I looked at my veg tent today and for the first time I thought that 2 of them were ready for flip. The Chemdawg and the Super Iced Grapefruit (before I defoliated them). Because the other two could use some more time I will likely flip in a week. They got a defoliation and some more training. Don't want them getting out of control as they are in aggressive veg mode and growing fast. You can see all the fresh green in the picture.

Chemdawg front right, Super Iced back right, White Rhino front left and Purple Envy back left.

The flower girls I basically haven't done hardly anything to now in a couple weeks? I've really been enjoying the downtime and I remember hating it when I first started growing. Sometimes growing can be really fun and sometimes it can be more of a chore and for a while it was feeling a bit chore-ish. This round of flower girls has definitely re-energized me and made this seem way more fun again. I did some back-building today. For those that don't know, back-building is snipping off just barely the tip of every top main cola. There is some really good threads if you search for it on these forums and I've meant to try it and always forget. This is the first time I've really done this so I'm anxious to see what comes of it. At the very least back-building fits into my theory of guiding energy so if the plant thinks it's hit something and stops growing vertical then that energy can only be spent on making lower stuff fatter. This is why people say they get better looking buds when they back-build so lets see what happens!

Tutankhamon
Anubis
BlackJack
Critical Cheese
The whole fam

I’ll be interested to see/hear how that back building goes?? I tried it on all 3 last Grow (Swaggs and I smoked the tops, I clipped and he collected :D) At harvest, I didn’t really notice a difference and I noticed mine healed by the next day so I probably did it wrong...how about a pic of what ya did, if you have one? Thanks!!

I’ll be interested to see/hear how that back building goes?? I tried it on all 3 last Grow (Swaggs and I smoked the tops, I clipped and he collected :D) At harvest, I didn’t really notice a difference and I noticed mine healed by the next day so I probably did it wrong...how about a pic of what ya did, if you have one? Thanks!!

Not a ton taken off but just the tip. It's all flat there and no hairs coming out so it got a flat top cut basically.

Back
Top Bottom