Ase's Perpetual Quadlining In Coco

It's been a while 420 Magazine friends! Last year I was working 6-7 days most weeks and unfortunately my time on the forums decreased. I really got into outdoor growing of fruits and veggies and also got engaged and things were pretty non stop. My last couple grows were a little different than I normally grow and even though I had good results, they just weren't up to par for me. One grow I did was all Autos and I really like being in control and growing photoperiod plants. I did a photoperiod grow but I was using different sized pots than normal (mainly because all my old growing pots were outside in my other garden) and it kind of messed up my watering cycle a little bit. Recently I bought a few more 3 gallon bags and I am going to make sure I am watering every single day. I used 5 gallon pots and they weren't always dry when I went to go feed them again and I got used to only watering every other day. That not the way I do things so even though it worked, I'd like to focus this journal on doing things the old school way that I preached when I first started helping other grow. Quadlining is what seemed to have really stuck in these forums and I am very happy to see how many people are trying it and having success. However, I had a certain way to grow with coco in 3 gallon pots that really worked great and that is what I really want to get back to.

If you read that last paragraph and thought, "what the hell is quadlining?". Quadlining is a training method that I put together (on these forums) and it has led to multiple Plant of the Month wins for me as well as a few others. There is a designated forum thread to quadlining (and how to do it) here : How to Quadline. Just click that link and you can see detailed instructions on how to quadline and get help from many others if you have any questions. I'll be happy to answer any questions anyone might have on this new journal about what I do or why I do it (including quadlining) but I would encourage anyone just focused on quadlining to post there.

Now onto some details for this grow: I will be growing in a 4'x4' Vivosun grow tent with a carbon filter, extractor fan, one stand up oscillating fan as well as one small oscillating desk fan that I hang from the corner of the tent. I will be growing 4 plants and they will all be in 3 gallon smart pots with coco coir as the medium. My lights are the Nexlight Core and two of the Mars Hydro Epistar Pro II 120s. Lastly I will be trying out Remo Nutrients this round and I am sure I will supplement with my General Hydroponic line if I need to.

Originally I was going to grow these strains : Strawberry Amnesia, Gorilla Glue#4, Lost Coast OG and Red Dragon. Well I had a bit of a germination issue. The other 3 all sprouted fine but the Strawberry Amnesia didn't make it. So I planted a Blue Dream in her place. The Lost Coast OG sprouted but only had cotyledons for 4 or 5 days with no sign of true leaves and I waited until my patience ran out and I scrapped her and just planted a Green Crack in her place. So my official grow for this grow should be (unless the Green Crack has any issues sprouting):

Green Crack - Crop King Seeds (grew this once and it was a great smoke but the plant was small, hoping for a bigger one this time)
Red Dragon - Barneys Farms
Blue Dream - Humboldt Seeds
Gorilla Glue #4 - Original Sensible Seeds

Thanks for joining for the ride and ask any questions you would like! I'm hoping to get 2-3 updates a week in and have a fun and active journal again.

I usually keep a day count on all of my girls but with such a weird start in germinating I really am not 100% sure when I dropped all these guys. I'm going to say the Gorilla Glue and the Red Dragon are about a week old and the Blue Dream is a few days old. The Green crack is still waiting to come up but I just planted it yesterday. I was not thrilled when this germination round was so all over the place but it is what it is.

The Gorilla Glue #4 was the only plant that made it from start to now with no hiccups.

The Red Dragon is the same age as the Gorilla Glue but had a couple days where nothing seemed to happen and I also noticed one of the true leaves has a bit of a "nemo fin" to it. I don't really worry about these earlier leaves because they all get stripped off when I start to quadline. I do think some of my issue was that it got too cold at night where I grow so they had a bit of a tough start but they seem to be moving along now that they are a bit stronger and larger and can handle it better.

Blue Dream is one that I have really wanted to grow again and my last girl did awesome. She was a little lanky though so I am going to try and hold this one down better but the yield was great and the smoke was great. The first time I grew it was in one of my first grows so I have a lot more experience now too. Hoping for great results here. Sucks about the Stawberry Amnesia seed it replaced but very excited to have some Blue Dream going into summertime and outdoor activities.

I didn't do an individual shot of the Green Crack because there just isn't anything to see yet but I bet it sprouts by tomorrow. Here is what the tent looks like as of this morning.

Glad to have everyone along so far!

Went down and checked the Green Crack today (dug around with my finger very gently) and could see the nice, white taproot out. I expect to see the seed break the surface of the coco either tonight or tomorrow morning. Then they will all be off and running which will be nice because this germination period was a bit spastic for me. Then again I always get a little anxious before they break the surface because you can’t see what the hell is going on down there!

I got my Remo Nutrients Supercharged kit out of the box today and for those that have followed my General Hydroponics grows in the past, I put the corresponding bottles next to the Remo ones. You can see a lot of the N-P-K ratios are very close and I’m looking forward to using Remo Nutrients this time around.

I'm onboard. Nice strain choices.
I'm getting ready to quadline a couple Bday Cake clones here shortly.

Glad to have everyone along so far!

Went down and checked the Green Crack today (dug around with my finger very gently) and could see the nice, white taproot out. I expect to see the seed break the surface of the coco either tonight or tomorrow morning. Then they will all be off and running which will be nice because this germination period was a bit spastic for me. Then again I always get a little anxious before they break the surface because you can’t see what the hell is going on down there!

I got my Remo Nutrients Supercharged kit out of the box today and for those that have followed my General Hydroponics grows in the past, I put the corresponding bottles next to the Remo ones. You can see a lot of the N-P-K ratios are very close and I’m looking forward to using Remo Nutrients this time around.
Hi Ase, do you know what time it is? It’s time to roll another Huuuge joint! Here is a photo of a Gorilla Breath clone that I am quad lining.
4402815B-25A4-4EDC-BE0B-9B69CAE448DC.jpeg

Yesterday I gave the girls their first big watering and they responded very nicely. By big watering I dumped enough water in them to get a little leakage out the bottom. In that watering a put a good amount of cal-mag and Micro from the General Hydroponics line. I will start with Remo Nutrients very soon but in the beginning I only need a little amount so I just use the GH nutes that are already opened.

Here is a picture of the girls two days ago.

Here is a picture of what they looked like today.

The Gorilla Glue is picking up momentum and will need to be topped soon. The Red Dragon seems to be picking up the pace as well but the leaves still look a bit funky. I'll see if that continues on the next nodes. Shouldn't effect anything really as long as the plant looks healthy and happy. I expect the Blue Dream to kick it into another gear over the next two days and the Green Crack hopefully will catch up since it got started late compared to the others. Happy to see plants above ground and moving along.

You aren’t kidding about that Gorilla Glue, nice! I’m excited to see the REMO nutes. I’ll be following this closely.
My last grow I did a Gorilla Glue and it started off great and then slowed way down. Hoping this one just keeps up the pace!

Today I decided that the Gorilla Glue and Red Dragon would get everything from the second node down stripped away. Growth is good on both right now and I doubt they will show any signs of stress. This means I should be topping them sometime in the next couple days. I may even do the Gorilla Glue tomorrow and the Red Dragon a day or two later. The other two girls are moving along just fine. Will likely be stripping them in a bout a week. I gave them a feed with the GH nutrients and should be starting the Remo line within a couple days.

The stripping process of the Red Dragon. Something interesting to note in the 3rd picture is that node 3 (where I trimmed up to) does not have symmetrical branches. In essence this will be like quadlining a clone. It's grow a little funky with some curves in the leaves and had a slow start but I've rarely seen plants do this so will be fun to see how she turns out.

The stripping process of the Gorilla Glue.

Back
Top Bottom