Ase's Perpetual Quadlining In Coco

Hey Ase, I am fairly new to growing indoors and have spent a lot of time over the past month reading through your journals and those of some other well known members on this forum. The learning curve is steep but loads of fun. I know you have heard this 1000 times before, but your journals are extremely well written and educational. I have learned so much from reading them that I feel like I have some idea of what I am doing now, most importantly with nutes. This was always a mystery to me and your hamburger analogy turned the lights on!! I Am growing in coco and have been using your feed schedule and GH Nutes, and After many bumps in the road I am starting to see some success. I do have a question about stabilizing my solution.

I am using tap water to water my girls. The water is 55ppm and 9.1 ph out of the tap. I Usually mix enough solution to last about 4-5 days. What I am noticing is that it takes a few days for the ph of the solution to stabilize. For example, the day I mix the solution, I ph to 5.8. The next day the ph is usually around 6.3. Again I adjust down to 5.8. The third day it is usually around 6, and then by the fourth day it stays around 5.8. I am wondering if this same issue happens to the water in my medium. Do you know if the ph of the solution I put in would also increase in the medium just as it does in my buckets? This would surely account for the highph in my medium. I am now thinking I may need to get an RO system. any insight into this would be much appreciated.

one of these days I will start a journal, just Simply don’t have the time to do it properly right now.

Hey Ase, I am fairly new to growing indoors and have spent a lot of time over the past month reading through your journals and those of some other well known members on this forum. The learning curve is steep but loads of fun. I know you have heard this 1000 times before, but your journals are extremely well written and educational. I have learned so much from reading them that I feel like I have some idea of what I am doing now, most importantly with nutes. This was always a mystery to me and your hamburger analogy turned the lights on!! I Am growing in coco and have been using your feed schedule and GH Nutes, and After many bumps in the road I am starting to see some success. I do have a question about stabilizing my solution.

I am using tap water to water my girls. The water is 55ppm and 9.1 ph out of the tap. I Usually mix enough solution to last about 4-5 days. What I am noticing is that it takes a few days for the ph of the solution to stabilize. For example, the day I mix the solution, I ph to 5.8. The next day the ph is usually around 6.3. Again I adjust down to 5.8. The third day it is usually around 6, and then by the fourth day it stays around 5.8. I am wondering if this same issue happens to the water in my medium. Do you know if the ph of the solution I put in would also increase in the medium just as it does in my buckets? This would surely account for the highph in my medium. I am now thinking I may need to get an RO system. any insight into this would be much appreciated.

one of these days I will start a journal, just Simply don’t have the time to do it properly right now.

Thank you Rugsy!

Apologies for not getting back to you in a timely fashion, I was on vacation and camping last week so no cell reception.

It sounds like you have pretty good water if it is 55ppm. I honestly don't know the answer to this. You can measure the ppm and PH coming out of the bottom of the pots when you water and that might be a good way to tell. I did notice at one point the PH fluctuating a bit in the buckets like you are describing as they sat but I can honestly admit that I haven't PH'd a bucket in probably 3-4 grows and I've been fine. I also just kind of guess at the nutrient amounts too so I can't say I stay all that exact anymore. Maybe it's experience or just luck but my grows have turned out normal. Sorry to not be much help.

Thanks for the reply Ase. Hope you had a good time camping!! I have measured the ph of the solution coming out and it’s high, around 6.4-6.6 over the past few days. The strange/good part is that my plants seem really healthy, which is why I am a bit perplexed by this. I Have been watering to a very small amount of run off each time, less than 5%, so maybe just some leftover water getting flushed out of the bottom. Whatever it is, it doesn’t seem to be an issue and I have had to fight every urge to “fix” a problem that doesn’t seem to exist. Learned this the hard way many times before haha. I am attempting to quadline for the first time and pretty excited about it. I will be sure to post some pictures in the quadsquad community thread as things progress. I am renovating the Upstairs bathroom in My 90 year old house right now, And my girlfriend is 5 months pregnant, so barely have time to water and train my girls. When it rains it pours haha. Thanks again for all the info!!

Hey Ase, I thought you might be interested to know I’m branching out. I feel like I have the system I built with your help nailed - I had an 18oz run a few months back - and decided it’s time to explore what else is out there. I have a few autoflowers outdoors in soil, and some regs in the veg tent in soil. I’m actually planning for my next plants to do 2 in coco and 2 in soil and compare directly. And I’ve even started composting with an eye to doing LOS eventually. It’s been fun, but soil has a high bar to reach to match my love of and success with coco!

Hey Ase, I have a quick question about PK boosting. I have been following your feed schedule to a T and have ventured into quad lining and am having great results so far. I am currently at week 1 flower. When I hit week 3 flower I see that your schedule calls for liquid kool bloom. Do you factor the Kool bloom into your PPM and NPK calculations for each week, or do you use it in addition to your base Nutes? For example, if I am at week 3, aiming for npk of 2-2-3 and ppm of 700, do you attain these levels with your base Nutes, and then add the kool bloom on top? Or do you include the kool bloom with your base Nutes to hit the desired ratio and ppm for the week? Thanks for the help with this. I will post some pics of my girls in the quad squad thread once they get some buds going.

Hey Ase, I have a quick question about PK boosting. I have been following your feed schedule to a T and have ventured into quad lining and am having great results so far. I am currently at week 1 flower. When I hit week 3 flower I see that your schedule calls for liquid kool bloom. Do you factor the Kool bloom into your PPM and NPK calculations for each week, or do you use it in addition to your base Nutes? For example, if I am at week 3, aiming for npk of 2-2-3 and ppm of 700, do you attain these levels with your base Nutes, and then add the kool bloom on top? Or do you include the kool bloom with your base Nutes to hit the desired ratio and ppm for the week? Thanks for the help with this. I will post some pics of my girls in the quad squad thread once they get some buds going.

I would use it in addition to normal nutes and back off if you see nutrient burn on the tips of leaves.

Hey Ase, I thought you might be interested to know I’m branching out. I feel like I have the system I built with your help nailed - I had an 18oz run a few months back - and decided it’s time to explore what else is out there. I have a few autoflowers outdoors in soil, and some regs in the veg tent in soil. I’m actually planning for my next plants to do 2 in coco and 2 in soil and compare directly. And I’ve even started composting with an eye to doing LOS eventually. It’s been fun, but soil has a high bar to reach to match my love of and success with coco!
Never a bad thing to try other things once you have a solid way nailed. Then you know how to compare the two. Good luck with you me new ones. I unfortunately had to go on a grow break so for the first time in years I have nothing going on. Landlord wants to do some remodeling and asked if I could take a break for a few months :(. They’ve been good landlords so I didn’t hesitate to agree but still makes me a little sad not having anything going right now.

I would use it in addition to normal nutes and back off if you see nutrient burn on the tips of leaves.
Great thanks Ase!! Seems obvious now that I think about it, wouldn’t be a PK ‘boost’ if it wasn’t in addition to regular Nutes. Hope the remodelling gets finished quickly so you can get a new grow up and going soon.

Back
Top Bottom