Ask Us Anything: Sharing Knowledge 420 Style

I need electrical advice.

I want to convert a light socket to a plug via adapter (660W limit) and possibly use a 3 prong adapter through which to plug a grounded surge protector and run four 25W LEDs.

The socket itself allows 100W bulb so even with only 2 of the lights and the same setup. I’m thinking it should be sustainable. Doing further research as I wait for someone to answer

I want to convert a light socket to a plug via adapter (660W limit) and possibly use a 3 prong adapter through which to plug a grounded surge protector and run four 25W LEDs.

The socket itself allows 100W bulb so even with only 2 of the lights and the same setup. I’m thinking it should be sustainable. Doing further research as I wait for someone to answer

You can only get Hot and Neutral from a light socket. The 3rd Earth ground will have to be connected elsewhere and brought to the area you want.

Anyone have an idea on how to resolve stink on a 12 foot outdoor (greenhouse) plant? She’s an early flower but becoming noticeable already.

Anyone know how long I can grow outdoors in a cheap bubble wrap insulated greenhouse in Maine

If you can modify the greenhouse, I suggest watching some YouTube vids about making a Rocket Stove. With that, you can burn a brief fire and the exhaust ducts through a mound of earthen cob, and that collects the heat and slowly releases the heat into your greenhouse, so essentially you can burn an hour long fire in a burn chamber and heat the greenhouse for a whole night.

Edit - if you build a rocket stove, it will naturally pull air in that will be burned which could then solve your odor problem.

you could do a drop down box from the socket and wire in from there. ground local at the box. it's how i did my veg room. it is compliant wiring. max draw is determined by the circuit and what you have running.

full

the drop box above runs power to the outlet pictured below, which in turn powers the veg room.
grounding is at the box on the ceiling and carried thru the room.

full

max draw is determined by the circuit and what you have running.

If the circuit is not rated to supply the current being demanded by the load, there WILL be a fire. This is why electricians plan their circuits to supply more current than will ever be needed. One can definitely draw current from the light socket, but it would be very wise to determine what that socket is rated for and ensure your needs are only 75% of that.

If the circuit is not rated to supply the current being demanded by the load, there WILL be a fire. This is why electricians plan their circuits to supply more current than will ever be needed. One can definitely draw current from the light socket, but it would be very wise to determine what that socket is rated for and ensure your needs are only 75% of that.

all done.

i would like a touch more headroom tho.
i am not drawing from the socket. i draw before the socket. the socket draws from me. but same same really.
15A 120V breaker. i would use a 20A circuit if there was room to upgrade. i run my flower room on a dedicated circuit and like that much more.

i do run cobs to bring the draw down as a result of the total. the breaker will trip on the circuit long before any type of fire event. all the wiring runs cool with little resistance. the wiring is compliant.

you must have done some wiring or work in a related industry.

you must have done some wiring or work in a related industry.

No, just really like to read, learn and get my hands dirty and have learned a lot about electrical as well as electronic stuff. With everything, you always want your breaker or fuse to be the smallest rated part of the circuit. The questioned light socket jumped at to me as a potential hazard on account of light bulbs generally drawing not more than 100 watts.

No, just really like to read, learn and get my hands dirty and have learned a lot about electrical as well as electronic stuff. With everything, you always want your breaker or fuse to be the smallest rated part of the circuit. The questioned light socket jumped at to me as a potential hazard on account of light bulbs generally drawing not more than 100 watts.

the drop box itself supplies exactly the same as it would to any outlet on the same circuit. the socket means nothing. i went led on that socket tho for the tiny bit of extra headroom. have run a 1500w heater, vacuum, and a microwave simultaneous on that circuit which is over three times the draw of the room lol.

that was before i knew what all was on the darn thing. i re-configured what i draw from elsewhere to make sure i don't do that again. microwave now runs on same circuit as the stove, heater is on another circuit etc.

it's cool that you continue to learn stuff. i try to do that as well, but not as successful as i get older.. sigh

edit: i should add i use power bars with internal breakers for the room. they trip before the main does, and i have tested to be sure this happens.

so this is what heaven looks like? better lookin fems, here, than the hot place, to b sure! I'm green, with envy!

i have a "no veg stage" question: the leaves come up, like monster crop; fine- no end result, issues. thc lvls, holding... but my leaves- they like the dark green, waxy look. it's so 2007... I'm easing the N nutes. any other suggestions? experience, with this? i prefer this faster turnover, but i like pretty pictures, too and darkness says, "he has no idea what he's doing". i like "10s", myself.

the other thing is/question- I've defoliated, not defoliated, lollypopped (but now, they stay short enough & the secondaries r no longer, larf status (typically)... but I've never taken from the top, from basically, showing seedlings (6-8")... i topped em, to slow their maturity rate n let em stretch, maybe a wk, longer than they would've, but I've never mohawked em, before, basically leaving new grow tips, fully exposed n keeping the low, established leaves, i may have usually taken, first, heading towards lollying.

anyone have examples of pics, maybe in flower, from doin this? I'd like to believe it's a good thing, allowing her to think, even the secondaries must reach the canopy.?

so the small ones n the bud ones, not the tall, pre-flower 2.

If I wanted to set a cheap blurple LED attached to a horizontal tent pole In a 4x4 where light sits in one corner and plant sits in the other to maximize distance so it hits the plant from the side and not overhead and two 4 bar t5s on top of the plant. Would anyone consider that to be excessive to the point of damage? She’s about 2 feet right now.

If I wanted to set a cheap blurple LED attached to a horizontal tent pole In a 4x4 where light sits in one corner and plant sits in the other to maximize distance so it hits the plant from the side and not overhead and two 4 bar t5s on top of the plant. Would anyone consider that to be excessive to the point of damage? She’s about 2 feet right now.

IMO, you'd be better off putting the blurple up high and the T5s on the side. LED lighting can be very intense and bleach the tops whereas T5 will accept growth right to the bulbs.

so this is what heaven looks like? better lookin fems, here, than the hot place, to b sure! I'm green, with envy!

i have a "no veg stage" question: the leaves come up, like monster crop; fine- no end result, issues. thc lvls, holding... but my leaves- they like the dark green, waxy look. it's so 2007... I'm easing the N nutes. any other suggestions? experience, with this? i prefer this faster turnover, but i like pretty pictures, too and darkness says, "he has no idea what he's doing". i like "10s", myself.

the other thing is/question- I've defoliated, not defoliated, lollypopped (but now, they stay short enough & the secondaries r no longer, larf status (typically)... but I've never taken from the top, from basically, showing seedlings (6-8")... i topped em, to slow their maturity rate n let em stretch, maybe a wk, longer than they would've, but I've never mohawked em, before, basically leaving new grow tips, fully exposed n keeping the low, established leaves, i may have usually taken, first, heading towards lollying.

anyone have examples of pics, maybe in flower, from doin this? I'd like to believe it's a good thing, allowing her to think, even the secondaries must reach the canopy.?

so the small ones n the bud ones, not the tall, pre-flower 2.

Can you refine your questions? IDK about others, but I stay stoned which makes reading sometimes a challenge, so if it's simple and to the point, it's easier for my baked head to comprehend.

wasn't easy, with just the trio n cmag, but i got it figured out, without any negative effects.
appreciate u, though!

love the effects from takin off the top, btw. LIGHT, short bushes, from knee, to waist; just like i need em to b.

maryjane- there's alot of YouTube examples of ur evil plan. they love em. there r LED'S, specifically made 4 this. if i could spare the amperage... anyway, i know "seedtostoned", cheated, with some enviable, sponsor ones. he's youtube. one of his more recents. bout a yr experience, but i suspect he had a "duggan", behind the throne/curtain.

check the capacity of ur area, power wise, before investing more. tough lesson, for the "handy"capped.

IMO, you'd be better off putting the blurple up high and the T5s on the side. LED lighting can be very intense and bleach the tops whereas T5 will accept growth right to the bulbs.

Can you refine your questions? IDK about others, but I stay stoned which makes reading sometimes a challenge, so if it's simple and to the point, it's easier for my baked head to comprehend.

thanks skybound that’s an excellent point! I will set that up as early as tomorrow morning. I’m a busy today otherwise, I would be doing it right now. Thanks, again!

Back
Top Bottom