Asking for a friend

Bounce3d

hi

asking for a friend that is doing a hempy bucket grow, although he has said he has this same issue no matter what medium.

says this happens for all his grows whether in soil of hempy the result is the same.

not sure of all the variables but at first glance what would the experienced eyes say?

@Frans420
@D4NGERmouse

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

hi @ResinSaurusRex

it only has that one spout yes, about a 1/4 up from the bottom but this is how you do the hempy grow technique.

also it wouldnt explain why he has the same issue when doing soil with different pots.

thx for the input, it is appreciated

They kind of look fed to death but really a lot more info would be needed for anyone to make an educated guess. What is he feeding, what light, what temps, what water schedule - I know you said hempy but also said it happens in other mediums, so what IS he doing so we can figure out what he is doing wrong.

hi

asking for a friend that is doing a hempy bucket grow, although he has said he has this same issue no matter what medium.

says this happens for all his grows whether in soil of hempy the result is the same.

not sure of all the variables but at first glance what would the experienced eyes say?

@Frans420
@D4NGERmouse

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG
If you tug on a leaf lightly does it come off easily; or can you feel sort of a tug & snap when you pull it off ? If it comes off easy you may want to break open a bud & check for mold. I got mold when my plant looked like that.

it only has that one spout yes, about a 1/4 up from the bottom but this is how you do the hempy grow technique.
Yes, a 'hempie' pot or bucket would have the drain hole near the bottom of the container somewhere on the side but not on the bottom. This allows for the formation of the pool of nutrient water for the roots. Above that drain hole the Perlite or whatever the roots are growing in can drain keeping the top 2/3 or more of the root mass from remaining saturated.

The "spout" is that indentation in the rim of the bucket that makes it easier to control the flow of the liquid when pouring it out. I had to replace the buckets I use for my tropical fish tanks last year so I went on a info hunt and spent some time looking up info bucket styles. Just for the sake of the trivia, a bucket and a pail are two different things.:)

also it wouldnt explain why he has the same issue when doing soil with different pots.
Since the problem shows up in both the hempie style grow and the soil grow we can pretty much eliminate nutrients. But, @ Emilya brings up a possible cause so you have to ask your buddy what he uses for his hempie nutrients and what he uses for the soil growing. Insects could be common between the two styles of grow and could survive in the room between grows. And, mold and/or mildew spores blow around in the air and could arrive at any time and start growing on the plant.

I have had the same sort of problem show up on some of the buds on some plants over the last few years. The buds would look like the buds on your buddy's plants. The sugar leaves turn brown, starting at the tips and working in towards the center of the bud. The The leaves will be crisp but remain stiff and keep their shape. The small leaves loose their trichomes. Other parts of the buds might still have some but there are not as many as there should be. There is no rot or smell, except maybe a bit like a tea for drinking, something like an Earl Grey. Any remaining leaves near the buds just dry up. I used to think that it was caused by a nutrient deficiency earlier in the growth, possibly in the vegetative stage.

I now think that this is caused by type of mildew infestation (not a mold or rot) which started about the time the buds were formed but not plumped up. The mildew stays on the sugar leaves and does not go deep into the bud or onto the stem under the bud. It sucks the life out of all those leaves.

In this thread the photos show a traditional bud rot. https://www.420magazine.com/community/threads/uh-oh-is-this-mold.499707/ The brown area shows up in random areas on the cola. The bud leaves have started to curl up and the bud in that area turns brown all the way through. Different than what is on your buddy's plants.

In this thread the photos show the start of a Powdery Mildew problem. https://www.420magazine.com/community/threads/help-please-day-52-in-flower-mold.488110/ I would not be surprised if your buddy's plants had buds that looked like the ones in the photos in msg #5. The fans leaves looked OK but the sugar leaves and any smaller fan leaves sticking out of the buds started to have a bit of a curl along the edges, some minor wilting and yellowing showing up. But, the fan leaves have a typical look, at most a look like they get near the end of the life cycle.

I believe that @KatieDukes ran into a similar problem on some of the buds when she harvested her last two plants the first couple of days of the month. Her photos show some buds with the traditional bud rot and a few with a browning more like in your buddies. Also, @copperrein might have had something similar near the end of her outdoor harvest earlier this fall with some bud rot and some buds just drying up.

As @bobrown14 mentions in the last message of another thread, https://www.420magazine.com/community/threads/possible-mold.492139/post-5136242 there is a difference between mold and mildew.

Does he ph his waterings?

Looks like a pH issue to me.

This pH and what is the water source - well or tap.

If its tap he should probably filter if it's well he needs to test with TDS meter and pH test.

Then look at the btm of the leaves with a microscope to rule out hemp russet mites.

That is what a bad russet mite infestation looks like. They will never go away unless treated for them. Grow to grow..you can wait 6 months between grows they will be back.

Eliminate the water issue first.

This pH and what is the water source - well or tap.

If its tap he should probably filter if it's well he needs to test with TDS meter and pH test.

Then look at the btm of the leaves with a microscope to rule out hemp russet mites.

That is what a bad russet mite infestation looks like. They will never go away unless treated for them. Grow to grow..you can wait 6 months between grows they will be back.

Eliminate the water issue first.
I just know Felipe knows hempy well...if he says pH is the issue, your friend probably has a pH issue. Testers are cheap

they look burned to a crisp,, from lights maybe,, i see a better pic now,, but,, if russet mites,, karma sent

Hey sorry for not getting back to anyone but my notes on these problems go back a couple years. I have Mars Hydro ts 1000 and ts 2000 for the lights and have had them as close as a foot and as far as 3 feet. All plants come out like this regardless. I have megacrop for nutrients but used to use other stuff and even super soil back in the beginning. All plants come out like this regardless. I have used a filter on my water, bought spring, distilled, and RO water…doesn’t matter. All plants come out like this regardless. I have changed watering techniques and schedules and even switched to hydro and all plants come out like this regardless. I have flushed and started over a hundred times…in the soil days mostly. I have cleaned my room thoroughly but I have microscopes so it’s not a pest problem.. plus, I grow outdoors too. When I say all plants, I mean even the outdoor ones. My temps and breezes and humidity are always perfect. Humidity could be a touch higher as seedlings but that’s not when there are issues…they always look healthy in the vegetation state. I do have a cheap ph pen but I calibrate it weekly and the numbers are always where I expect them to be so I hesitate to get another. I’ve sort of given up on figuring it out because I get several ounces a plant and it still tastes good and gets the job done but the trimming out of all the dead leaves is very time consuming. I’ve grown about 30 plants in different media, with different nutrients, with different water sources, with different feeding schedules, with different light schedules…different everything. I know I need a journal but I have a few years of doing this under my belt and if you look at my pictures you’ll see. All plants come out like this regardless! Lol

Back
Top Bottom