Aspirin for cannabis with TMV

santiago19

Hi there. My whole outdoor garden is infected with Tobacco Mosaic Virus. Got it from a reputable companys Blue Dream freebie.

I have read numerous blogs about aspirin helping cannabis plants with TMV and overall general well being, but I also read Ed Rosenthal say it can make plants hermie. What's your opinion on the aspirin and the dosage? I'm giving my plants 300mg aspirin per 2 gallons of water every feed in coco, but I don't know how often I should do so or if I should stop completely. They are in week 4 of flower and only now have I discovered the TMV.

Anybody give their plants aspirin? Opinions please.

Thanks for your time.

Hi there. My whole outdoor garden is infected with Tobacco Mosaic Virus. Got it from a reputable companys Blue Dream freebie.

I have read numerous blogs about aspirin helping cannabis plants with TMV and overall general well being, but I also read Ed Rosenthal say it can make plants hermie. What's your opinion on the aspirin and the dosage? I'm giving my plants 300mg aspirin per 2 gallons of water every feed in coco, but I don't know how often I should do so or if I should stop completely. They are in week 4 of flower and only now have I discovered the TMV.

Anybody give their plants aspirin? Opinions please.

Thanks for your time.

Can we see pics of yer plant...see what it looks like

Curious if I had this last year

@santiago19

If there are willow near where you are, cut some new growth off the branches and soak them in distilled water for a few days. It will be better than aspirin for your plants and do more for them.

Aspirin was developed from willow and willow also contains auxins making it a great rooting solution too.

Can we see pics of yer plant...see what it looks like

Curious if I had this last year
It basically looks like the pics in my other threads you helped me with. It looks like you are at fault with your nutrient regime it looks like your leaves have a ton of different deficiencies, but it's pretty serious it also spread to my tomatoes and spinach.

Specific visual cues that your plants have been infected with TMV include:

(I have every single symptom listed below and plants tested positive for TMV)

• Strange leaf colour: Brown leaves with “burnt” edges, pale or yellow stripes in old and new growth, and dark purple or black patches are one sign. So is the yellowing of the leaves between the veins. A mottled, mosaic pattern is a major mark of TMV. (In my previous threads people said it was potassium deficiency (looks the same), it was not to be the case)
  • Stagnation in growth: Both old and new growth can be affected by TMV. If you plant appears not to be growing as it should be, it could be that TMV is slowing it down. Wilting is another possible sign of TMV infection, as is slowed root spread.
  • Abnormal growth: Leaves grow in a strange, twisted pattern. They also appear webbed, curling under or upwards in odd ways.
  • Strange Stems: The stems can be either significantly weakened or appear in strange colours like red or purple.
  • Anaemic buds: Your buds will not get nice and fat, but will stay small.

Marijuana plant symptoms

Leaf Color:
– Brown, burnt edges
– Pale color
– Yellowing of new growth
– Yellowing of lower, older leaves
– Yellowing between veins
– Dark or purple in color
– Black or gray patches
– White powdery patches
– Brown, dark spots
– Mottling, mosaic pattern

Leaf Symptoms:
– Upper, newer growth affected
– Lower, older growth affected
– Burnt leaf edges
– Burnt leaf tips
– Death of leaf tips
– Yellowing between veins
– White powdery patches
– Red stems
– Spots
– Mottling, mosaic pattern
– Old leaves fall off
– Slowed growth
– Twisted, abnormal growth
– Leaves curling under or upwards
– Wilting, drooping

Plant Symptoms:
– Red or purple stems
– Weakened stems
– Old leaves falling off
– Slowed growth
– Twisted, abnormal growth
– Wilting or drooping
– Slowed root growth

Other Symptoms:
– Mold
– Buds not getting fatter

Ugggghhh

I hate hunting for Easter eggs

Oh well...back to packing the RV
Because if you had it last year the chances are very good you'd have it again this year, unless you cleaned your whole grow area/yard and equipment with a strong degreasing /bleach or a virucide.

I just want some advice on aspirin dosages and cannabis, not to lecture about TMV.

The pic below with the yellow mosaic are the main symptom along with holes in your leaves weak braches and stems all over mostly red and purple with some burnt edge leaves like a potasium deficincy. It has alot of potassium and calmag defecincy type symptoms, but it's just TMV doing it's job. And also 4 and 5 week flowering plants look like they only 1 or 2 weeks into flower bud structure wise.

If you think you have TMV, but you don't have the twisting yellow mosaic markings then it's definitely something else.

user42508_pic661264_1304145942.jpg

The reason I asked is because I’ve seen lots of people panic when they get what they assume to be TMV, after seeing a few minor symptoms. This includes myself. I have one strain that has this problem. It has never spread to any other plants or caused me any other problems so I’m glad I didn’t freak out too much about it when I first saw it. PotChimp gets this issue too.

twisting yellow mosaic markings

It seems like there are a lot of viruses out there and not a lot known about them. They tend to be characterized by mottled yellow patches or spots.
I recall that variegation causes a bit of twisting sometimes too. In my variegated Chocolate Mint OG, the pale portions would twist.

However by the sounds of it the OP may have the real deal. I’ve never seen anyone in the forum with full blown TMV before. Some mottled twisted leaves combined with other environmental problems could make a person think they’ve got it when they don’t.

The reason I asked is because I’ve seen lots of people panic when they get what they assume to be TMV, after seeing a few minor symptoms. This includes myself. I have one strain that has this problem. It has never spread to any other plants or caused me any other problems so I’m glad I didn’t freak out too much about it when I first saw it. PotChimp gets this issue too.
However by the sounds of it the OP may have the real deal. I’ve never seen anyone in the forum with full blown TMV before. Some mottled twisted leaves combined with other environmental problems could make a person think they’ve got it when they don’t.
I have it full blown. I have the symptoms on your pic in every plant along with all the other symptoms I described.

I major fault on my side, when I defoliate plants as I did with the infected blue dream, I burn the defoliated branches in a bin/pit in my yard, the ash of the burnt plants still carry the virus, so when I burned the branches on windy days the virus essentially spread to all my crops and plants that can catch the TMV virus (There are about 150 different plant species it can infect)

I believe that every plant specie infected with TMV will portray their symptoms of the virus differently. So posting pics of a whole other plant leaf is unreasonable.

Also I believe that different cannabis strains handles the infection differently. For example by french cookies doesn't show the leaf symptoms as heavily as the 9lb hammers do, but what all of them have in common is some form of mosaic marking and they look like they're 1 or 2 weeks into flower although they started to flower 25 Jan 2020.

There is no cure whatsoever, my question is just can I keep on giving them aspirin and how often without worrying about then turning hermie?

In the years I’ve been here I’ve never seen any solid info on TMV or seen anyone here with it. A search may dig up something somewhere, but otherwise I think you’re better off investigating TMV in other plants- agricultural
crops and the house plant industry. Usually you can find better researched articles outside of canna-forums ;)

I’ve never heard of any association between aspirin and the plant getting hermies. So unless you know something about that specifically, I wouldn’t worry about it. Plants don’t generally hermie very easily in my experience- unless they’re already genetically predisposed. Anyway, hermies sounds like the least of your problems.
Good luck :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom