Athos' - Cap'n Style Inspired - THC Bomb Fem Photo - 2014

Athos56

Lets begin.

Strain: Bomb Seeds THC Bomb Fem/Photoperiod
Stage: Seedling
Where: Indoor Grow Tent
Medium: Rock Wool 1/4" Cubes
Pot size: 7.5 or 20 liters (Not Sure Yet)
Light: Lots of CFLs and T8 Florescent tubes
Cooling: Home AC
Temps: 80s
RH of Room: Lets not talk about that :)
PH of media: Whatever it needs to be when the time comes
Pests: Hopefully no gnats now that I'm hydro
Watering Schedule: As per Cap'n style 1-3 times a day for 15min
Ferts used: General Hydroponics Flora line
Other: DIY yeast CO2 bucket

Plan: Ok here is the plan. I got 1 THC bomb Seedling, I'm hoping to keep it alive long enough to get two clones off of it. I'm going to veg the 3 plants for a good while and then flower the lot together... I'm going to do some cropping and training of the mother to give the clones time to catch up. I'm going to give the Cap'n style a go and top feed to waste in rock wool. I'm currently waiting on my PPM and PH meters to really get going. Feel Free to comment and give advice.

re: Athos' - Cap'n Style Inspired - THC Bomb Fem & Photo - 2014

Construction Pictures. I also need advice about which pot size to use, the 7.5l or the 20l. The tubing is not shown because I don't want to cut it until the buckets are in place. All of the connections are going to be inside the lower buckets to catch drips. Nothing is light tight because there is not going to be any nuts stored in these. The res is a light tight 5 gal bucket outside the tent.

DSC_0946_-_Copy.jpg

DSC_0947_-_Copy.jpg

DSC_0948_-_Copy.jpg

DSC_0956_-_Copy.jpg

DSC_0951_-_Copy.jpg

DSC_0961_-_Copy.jpg

DSC_0960_-_Copy.jpg

DSC_0957_-_Copy.jpg

DSC_0974_-_Copy.jpg

So you can see the size difference of the pots, considering the fact I can't grow giants because of my space I'm leaning towards the 7.5l pots. What do you guys and gals think?

As always thanks for any and all input.
Athos

Work today. The seedling is getting ready to be transplanted to the rockwool. I'm going to hand water until my other grow is chopped. To prepare the RW, I'm soaking it in 5.5ph water for a couple hours. I have my first nute solution mixed up and aerating. I went by the ratios of the GH web site but used a dropper 1ml per gallon = 1 drop per gallon. It ended up being a trivial amount, with the base ppm of 80, I only brought it up to 100ppm. I then added PH down to bring it to a PH of 6. I'm going to drain the PH down soak out of the RW then soak in the nute solution and then transplant the seedling. I'll let you know if it survives.

Wish me luck!
Athos

So I mixed my nutes, added PH down until it was 6.0. Came back an hour later to use it and it was over 7. Added PH down to the nutes till it was 5.8. Checked it again later and it's over 7... It's just a bucket, the nutes, and an air stone. What's up??

Now that my first grow is done, basically, I can focus on this grow. The pump and halo are not set up yet, I've been hand watering each night so far. I've been using the feeding program outlined here Feedcharts. I'm currently feeding her nuts mixed to about 50ppm on top of the 80ppm of my tap water. So pretty weak. I'm going to gradually increase it every reservoir change. So maybe 100ppm next time. I'm also giving her Si Blast and a Cal/Mag supplement. If you followed my last grow I'm a everything and the kitchen sink kind of grower, I'm going to try and keep that in check. Here is how she looks so far. She had a rough start, real yellow leaves and some burn from rookie mistakes. She also took about 4 or 5 days to recover from her coir plug to RW transplant. I think she's started to bounce back. After she gets in the tent and hooked up to the pump and stuff and she grows another node I'll top her. So here she is.
DSC_1219_-_Copy.jpg

Im joined in now Athos sorry i didnt see these post before! Im subbed! So first thing... I see you are using Clear reservoirs? Do you still have it this way? This can for sure cause a lot of problems for you! Also if your pH is rising that much most of the time its a algae, slime, or root rot problem. I know you just posted something about slime... I have solved this problem with hydro and have been very successful so far until these damn little critters showed up... The key to keeping slime and root rot away is to run beneficiary bacteria in your reservoir! I personally use Aquashield but there is a lot of others out there! Hows your grow doing? Post us some new pics!

:goodjob::thumb:

Edit: Oh i was typing while you were i guess! Thanks for the update :thumb:

Sub'd. I'm not a grower (yet) so I have nothing to offer but I'll be following your grow with interest. Wishing you good luck.

The totes are not going to hold anything, they are to catch drips and get the plants up off the floor so they'll drain. It'll all be cleared up after I post the setup pictures. :) I need to get some Aquashield or something but my hydro store carries 0 beneficial bacteria stuff derp. Welcome aboard!

I finally got the last crop dried out in the tent so I could put everything back into the tent for this grow. She had to migrate around the house hiding from view because we had company and she doesn't look too happy. IDK, she's still growing. I'm feeding her 200ppm of nuts on top of the 80ppm tap water. Tell me what you guys/gals think.

DSC_1220_-_Copy.jpg

DSC_1222_-_Copy.jpg

DSC_1227_-_Copy.jpg

DSC_1223_-_Copy.jpg

One last thing, she's finally on an 18/6 schedule, down from a 24/0 schedule. I couldn't control the light were I had to germinate her so I kept it on 24 hour a day. Hopefully she takes off soon.

Well one reason she might have been unhappy is that my PH meter might have been reading high. I got a bottle of PH7 calibration solution, premixed, and it was reading .4 or so high. So my PH 5.5 was more like PH 5.1...oops :)

Ok, I did tons of work. I got my SCROG screens up and I zip tied my new CO2 tubing to the screen. I went with 1/4" tubing for the CO2, a little more pressure should build up and I should get gas out of the whole length of tubing. I also took a picture of the THC bomb plant, which represents about 8 days of growth. I have a theory, I've looked at a lot of THC Bomb grows and most of the plants seem sickly/finicky, I have yet to see one that's really healthy, not that they don't exist, I just haven't found one yet. Maybe it's just a finicky strain. I know I had light and PH problems with mine but I've seen what seems like some common strain problems, or common newbie grower problems... not 100% sure... Here are the pictures, tell me your thoughts.

DSC_1234_-_Copy.jpg

DSC_1235_-_Copy.jpg

DSC_1236_-_Copy.jpg

Focus on the new growth at this point. New growth looks good now.

What is your PPM? Im seeing your fans "claw" which indicated to high PPM solution. Are your tips burn at all? If not then clawing is usually borderline before the tips burn.

At this point i would just cut those other dead leaves off.. they are not doing anything at this point.

Also is your SCROG adjustable? It looks kinda high at this point?

Looking good! Keep up the good work!
:thumb:

Focus on the new growth at this point. New growth looks good now.

What is your PPM? Im seeing your fans "claw" which indicated to high PPM solution. Are your tips burn at all? If not then clawing is usually borderline before the tips burn.

At this point i would just cut those other dead leaves off.. they are not doing anything at this point.

Also is your SCROG adjustable? It looks kinda high at this point?

Looking good! Keep up the good work!

Yeah the tips are droopy but I don't think it's the claw. I'm feeding her 200ppm at the moment. The new growth is doing better though!. Yes, the screens are adjustable. I have them about 2ft above the rim of the pot. Even with the low ppm I am burning my tips a bit... Thus my believe the strain is finicky... Thanks for the help ;)

If you are burning the tips with the low ppm then that means you should go lower. They dont "droop" at the tips just because. With the size of that plant i would still be feeding it plain water. Hydro, I introduce nutes around week 2-3 in vegging or when they show signs of needing it. Im in full flower and my plant has only required 600 ppm through the whole grow.

PPM is strain dependent. Some require almost none and some require 1600ppm..... It looks like the strain you are growing like you said is very finicky. I would feed almost nothing until she started showing signs of needing it. I have found out fast that lower nutes are so much better than higher nutes.

Also if you see signs of change in your plant its usually something you have done 2-3 days ago.

Just some things to mention to you for you to think about. We are all here to try and give advice and help! This is just my newbie opinion! Good luck!

Thanks for the well stated reply! It did indeed give me something to think about. I'll delute her nutes and see how she responds. I'm an even bigger newbie when it comes to hydro. I was under the impression that 200ppm was nothing :) I appreciate the time you took to help.

Ok, so you know how you start off planning one thing but things don't always work the way you plan. After extensive tinkering the best I have been able to set up is a flood and drain system. There are couple reasons why this occurred but the best reason was that the flood and drain system worked like a charm. When the pump trips each of the three totes gets an equal share of the reservoir, the solution drains back just fast enough to keep the pump under water. My solution is currently mostly water (Thanks HunterNitro) with about 10ppm of nutes. I've been keeping my PH at 5.8. I think my rockwool is still settling in because my PH goes up after each flood cycle and the amount it's been changing has been diminishing. I'm sure it's not biological because I've been running a sterile setup so far.

The second change was to germinate 2 more seeds, I'm still unhappy about how the THC Bomb is growing, and from day one the new seedlings (Dinafem Blue Kush and Royal Queen Critical) have looked 1000% better then the THC bomb. So the original title of this grow now doesn't really fit....oh well... We'll see how it goes though!

Back
Top Bottom