Attention All Ebb 'n' Grow Users

you guys help!

My top flood switch stopped working randomly and I pumped my closet full of water!!!

What makes a flood switch stop working? How can I fix this?? I have to fix in the next 12 hours before the lights come back on!!

It only works when I press down on the top half of the float switch and pull the bottom float up harder than the water can... SO WEIRD!

Please fellow Ebb & Gro'ers help a brotha out!!!!

I picked up an ebb n grow on an awesome Craigslist purchase a while back. Planning on using it next year though scaled down to only 2 - 4 buckets for my tent. Hoping to leverage all you experienced ebb n flow users opinions when the time is right.

WATCH OUT FOR YOUR FLOAT SWITCHES> MINE STOPPED WORKING!!! STILL LOOKING FOR HELP!!:helpsmilie:

Thanks for the tip. I haven't tested the control bucket yet. Just cleaned the parts. I will give the system a solid test before use and I'll make sure to check the float switches.

I am the user of a 12 pot system with mothers in dwc. I have one successful grow with the system so far.

I'm not sure how that works. The CAP ebb n grow system is not Deep Water Culture (DWC). Totally different hydroponic method. Is it that you mother in DWC setups, then cut clones and flower them in the ebb n grow? Just wanted to be sure I understood.

BTW, :welcome: to 420 Magazine, Meduser!

I'm not sure how that works. The CAP ebb n grow system is not Deep Water Culture (DWC). Totally different hydroponic method. Is it that you mother in DWC setups, then cut clones and flower them in the ebb n grow? Just wanted to be sure I understood.

BTW, :welcome: to 420 Magazine, Meduser!

I know the difference... I am using both.. :tokin:

I know the difference... I am using both.. :tokin:

He wanted to know if you were DWC'ing the mothers and Ebb & growing the clones. The answer is Yes. But anyways...

In case anyone is wondering, I called R&M supply and told them I bought my E&G system within the last 90 days and they contacted my local hydro store and had them swap out a new controller bucket for me.

I can't stress enough how sketchy these float switches are. Mine worked fine for months before randomly just not working.

He wanted to know if you were DWC'ing the mothers and Ebb & growing the clones. The answer is Yes. But anyways...

In case anyone is wondering, I called R&M supply and told them I bought my E&G system within the last 90 days and they contacted my local hydro store and had them swap out a new controller bucket for me.

I can't stress enough how sketchy these float switches are. Mine worked fine for months before randomly just not working.

I have heard of this issue with the control buckets at the hydro store. They are regularly replacing the "brain" of this system for their customers. After a larger, recent purchase, they mentioned that they could swap out mine even though I did not buy it from them. Great guys (and good prices) keep me going back.

Anyways, for those using the system regularly, are you having issues with your controller buckets?

I have 3 c.a.p. systems running with coco and 2 more waiting, the pumps don't evacuate the controller enough. I'm going to get new inline pumps with pickup tube to draw out more. Was going to add air stone's to pot's but then might as well just go back to dwc type set up. I use pumps with bio filters in res now. trying to shed amps and mechanical failures and have a hyper active feed is fun. I may end up with a medium free spray system but I'm still playing and that is the point. I will check out pitvipers and greenislands I have no doubt that it will be enlightening thanx

420 Pharms your problem is common among the ebb and gro units. Little giant makes some good pumps that will evacuate lower than the via aqua pumps that come with the system, check them out.

Also on a side not keep in mind that GPH numbers are not all equal. A ecoplus 1267GPH works about as well as a 350GPH little giant or magdrive pump. Ecoplus (and via aqua, a little bit) make outrageous claims as far as GPH goes. I had a 1584 ecoplus that couldnt make the long pump to the control bucket...up about 7 feet and about 35 feet away, I went and got a 500GPH Magdrive and it killed it! The magdrive GPH is much more accurate than the cheaper inflated claims of "econo" pumps like ecoplus.

Ecoplus cant sustain very high head pressure where as a quality pump like little giant or Magdrive will maintain their GPH relatively well even with 7 feet of head back pressure.

Just thought I would throw that out there cause when people realise there pump isnt pumping enough water or isnt pumping at all they figure they need a bigger pump (which may or may not fit in the control bucket)...well Im here to tell you that you DONT need a bigger pump most of the times, usually you just need a quality pump and not the POS that came with the kit.

Just a my couple cents,...man Ive been doing ebb and gros for some time, lol.

very cool info thanx. my intent for pump was pro 275 inline,I will make pickup tube for inlet. alternative is taller cont bucket to allow relocation of fill float, and elevate pot's for drainage. the gph is ok stock. would increase it if I had to. I really don't think that there are many prefab kit's that work without modification but they do teach how to feed hydro style. thanx will post if it works out should have it done on 1 today

GPH numbers for pumps are always shown with zero feet of head height. It helps to see the graph of GPH to head height in order to buy the best pump for the task. Elevating water 7 feet with an impeller is not a trivial task and would not want to trust a 30 dollar pump to that.

your right, for example my well is 1100' deep water is at 500' but can go much lower so the pump needs to be able to lift 1100'. Hydro dynamics apply to all systems that use fluid.

sorry Ive been busy, I have modified the control buckets, will post photos soon. The drainage has been resolved by placing pot's on 1-1/2" blocks, and taller controller bucket to allow for relocation of top float. Now it's time for new lower duration flood timers. 15min of flood is too much, I think it's starves plant's of oxygen and would be better if timer was 5min duration and more cycle time's per day. There won't be much c.a.p. left when complete. But it's just how it goes when I buy hobby kit's and want them to work as advertised. Kind of like trying to go to the moon in a Estes Rocket lol

sorry Ive been busy, I have modified the control buckets, will post photos soon. The drainage has been resolved by placing pot's on 1-1/2" blocks, and taller controller bucket to allow for relocation of top float. Now it's time for new lower duration flood timers. 15min of flood is too much, I think it's starves plant's of oxygen and would be better if timer was 5min duration and more cycle time's per day. There won't be much c.a.p. left when complete. But it's just how it goes when I buy hobby kit's and want them to work as advertised. Kind of like trying to go to the moon in a Estes Rocket lol

I just want to say that I am VERY impressed with your craftsmanship. Does your bucket have redundancy float switches in case the top switch fails or are you just relying on a higher quality switch? If you ever decide to post a 'how to' or a picture diagram of how to build one of your brain buckets (including the super low sucking pump) I'm sure it would instantly become a sticky. Thanks for keeping the spirit of DIY alive

I've used 2 Ebb n Gro units for 9 mos. 1 for veg, 1 for flower. I'm thinking about adding a second flower unit so I can have a harvest every month or so.
The only problems I've had so far is 2 pumps went bad, and a Lady bug got stuck in 1 of my float switches and flooded my tent.
Some good info in here, I'll look at the little giant pumps.
One thing I changed was I changed the pot size to 3.5 gal. buckets, I get much more root mass.
Grow on Bucket Heads! :thumb:
:roorrip:

Back
Top Bottom