Attention All Ebb 'n' Grow Users

I started using one a few months ago. Changed over from an Aeroponic system.
So far I really love this thing.

After reading this post, I think I may tweak mine a little over the next year.

I like the idea of 5 minute timers, bigger buckets/brain box bucket.

I am also going to add quick releases and valves to each of the buckets in case you do not need to use all 12 for a grow cycle for some reason.

Great post!

I've used 2 Ebb n Gro units for 9 mos. 1 for veg, 1 for flower. I'm thinking about adding a second flower unit so I can have a harvest every month or so.
The only problems I've had so far is 2 pumps went bad, and a Lady bug got stuck in 1 of my float switches and flooded my tent.
Some good info in here, I'll look at the little giant pumps.
One thing I changed was I changed the pot size to 3.5 gal. buckets, I get much more root mass.
Grow on Bucket Heads! :thumb:
:roorrip:

Just curious... How could a lady bug get stuck in one of your switches?!!!

Is there anything you do now to prevent from happening again?

I am curious because I too grow with an ebb and flo. However... I am very concerned about flooding.

This Ebb and Gro system is much better than I anticipated. I run 4 plants with a 25 gallon res. in my closet. I love it!!:nicethread:

Just curious... How could a lady bug get stuck in one of your switches?!!!

Is there anything you do now to prevent from happening again?

I am curious because I too grow with an ebb and flo. However... I am very concerned about flooding.

This Ebb and Gro system is much better than I anticipated. I run 4 plants with a 25 gallon res. in my closet. I love it!!:nicethread:

Yeah, after reading this thread, I too am a little worried about flooding out my room.

I had a small Aphid problem so I released so lady bugs into my tent( I don't think I'll do that again).
On the top of the controller, there's a 1 1/8" hole in the lid that the power cord for the pump go's through, some of them got in that way, and 1 got wedged into the hinge of the switch.
You can cover that hole to stop that or don't put Lady bugs in your tent.:idea:
If you keep your anti-siphon hole in the 1/2" 90 in the lid of the reservoir clear and your switches working (clean) you should be flood free.

I had a small Aphid problem so I released so lady bugs into my tent( I don't think I'll do that again).
On the top of the controller, there's a 1 1/8" hole in the lid that the power cord for the pump go's through, some of them got in that way, and 1 got wedged into the hinge of the switch.
You can cover that hole to stop that or don't put Lady bugs in your tent.:idea:
If you keep your anti-siphon hole in the 1/2" 90 in the lid of the reservoir clear and your switches working (clean) you should be flood free.

Thanks for your response. I will make sure to keep an eye on the main controller bucket.

Now I have peace of mind!!!:)

Can I get some suggestions for what PPM to run my plants at with this system?

I've got 10 plants. In week 2 bloom. about 20 inches tall. I've got a 20 gallon res and have my advanced nutes up at 1100ppm in the morning. By the evening its dropped to 900. They are eating a ton.

I called Advanced cust. Serv. and the guy said because my system is recirculating that I should be running 500ppm max. Thats BS and I know it. What Ec/ppm would you guys be running?

Yes, The guy at Advanced Nutrients does not know what he is talking about. I am sure he is a rare case though. I don't know of anyone that restricts thier ppm on this system.

Your plants sound like they are at the correct ppm now. Sounds like you are doing a great job!

At week 2 of flower I aim for 900 ppm. I gradually bump up every week till I get to 1800 or more depending on how my plants are eating.

Yes, The guy at Advanced Nutrients does not know what he is talking about. I am sure he is a rare case though. I don't know of anyone that restricts thier ppm on this system.

Your plants sound like they are at the correct ppm now. Sounds like you are doing a great job!

At week 2 of flower I aim for 900 ppm. I gradually bump up every week till I get to 1800 or more depending on how my plants are eating.

sex

Just curious....Im not sure if any of you here remember me building the 5 gallon ebb and grow a while back BUT I was just looking for some feedback on the new system Im developing, so I came here.

Im mostly curious if these "options" are something the "ebb and gro" grower would want in a "brain" bucket.

More room for pumps etc (less risk of pump entanglement).

Larger control bucket for 5 gallon ebb and gro buckets.

GFCI protected cordset

Supports 3/4" and 1/2" line

Can switch from ebb and flow to drip with a flick of a switch using the same timer

Can take off the Brain from the bucket

Has a light that tells you when it has power

Has a lid that can easily be removed ENTIRELY without taking hoses off at all.

Has a auxilary switch for an extra component (such as an airstone in the res, or fan etc)

Has a double top float switch that makes sure the "fill" pump doesnt cycle to fast

Has a double redundant top float that shuts off the pump in case of float failure to prevent overflow

Has 2 outlets for "fill" pump to run 2 pumps or a aux device.

What else foes the ebb and grow gardener want?

Heres what Ive built so far...with all the amenities listed above. This is the beta version in the pic.

I will have pics of the final version tomorrow...it just finished beta testing "trials" today.

I would really love everyone's input

Heres what I have so far...and yes its patent pending so steal ideas all you like...just dont sell them, lol ;)

100_25642.JPG

black_box_pic.jpg

I appreciate everyones input....the "BlackBox" is scheduled to release on xmas day 2010...unless anyone has an idea of something that just HAS to be changed, lol.

Look forward to your replies.

Stay high, GI

its a real nice box green island. certainly the mechanical aspect of it is very well thought out, however, I feel like the box itself is too large. I don't know about you but when I'm first starting a grow I'd like there to be as little nutrient water as possible and having an extra 5 gallons to fill up the box seems unnecessary. the box only has to be as tall as the other buckets, even if those are 5 gallons

Looks great GI! Not sure if the control bucket needs to be very large, but an easily cleaned unit is highly desirable.

Yeah, its definitely a larger bucket but thats kinda what I was going for. The ebb monster on top of many other problems is hard to clean and maintain. I wanted easy access to everything, the lid comes all the way off on this unit,...easily, no plumbing etc.

There are several other reasons as well.

The 5 gallon buckets are just barely large enough for some pumps while other pumps are too large all together.

Lots of hoses wires etc in a cramped space just spells disaster for float switches that if get stuck will over flow and flood. Keep in mind I have a redundant top float so even if one does get stuck somehow it will always turn off if it gets to the very top.

The other thing is I wanted to give people the option of having all their lines come out of one side if they wanted...this larger bucket lets you do that

The larger bucket lets you add many more sites for return flow as well, and when running 60 sites which we often do thats a good thing to have.

The larger the bucket the less the pumps will cycle and the faster it can accept and return water.

I also have airstones in the bucket so that takes up some space as well, and you dont want them right next to your pump because it will burn it up from sucking air all the time.

Those were the reasons I went for the larger res... and it looks larger in pics than it does in person, it person it seems much more manageable.lol:tokin:

Thank you for all your input, I will see if maybe I can carry two different sizes for those that dont want such a large bucket, or for those that arent running more than say a 24 site.

Love the feedback!, thanks again guys. pics and video of it in action tonight...maybe tomorrow depending on how long it takes me to put together.

Stay high!
GI

Yeah, a half sized one that handles about the same amount of sites as the CAP system and then this one as the XL model that can handle larger grows. Easy maintenance is key and your design hits that mark. :goodluck: with your venture.

Its about 12- 15 gallons.,...Ill look into a smaller one for sure.

I took the vid last night and should have it uploaded to you tube by the end of today, it looks pretty cool running and all with the air-stones in it.

Thanks again for all input!

Stay High,
GI

They should be for sale by xmas.

Have you thought about putting an indicating device of some sort inline with the top float? At least some kind of indication to the owner that the top float has been engaged in the past ... maybe a resettable light or something. In use, once the first float fails and the bucket now depends on the second float for every cycle, the operating user will not be alerted to the initial float's failure and need of replacement.

Nice video, GI!

EDIT: If the top float just turns off the pump, then I guess the indication to the user is that the bucket stays flooded? Would you be worried that all the buckets could stay flooded for an extended period of time in that scenario?

Back
Top Bottom