Attorney General Bill Schuette: No Medical Marijuana for Drivers

Jacob Bell

Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette asserted again Monday that driving under the influence of marijuana is illegal, even if prescribed by a doctor.

Schuette restated his position as the Court of Appeals was set to take up the case of Rodney Koon, a registered medical marijuana user who was pulled over for speeding and cited for driving under the influence in February of last year.

In an interview with the Michigan Public Radio Network's Rick Pluta, Schuette spokesperson John Sellek said the law is full of loopholes that put people at risk.

"I don't think anyone out there would agree that you should be on a Schedule I drug and be able to operate a motor vehicle, but unfortunately what the law has put into place is in complete conflict with other parts of the law that protect people from those who are driving under the influence of drugs," Sellek told Pluta.

At the time, Schuette told The Petoskey News that having marijuana in a driver's body is a crime.

Medical marijuana advocates like Steven Thompson disagree. Thompson is the head of the Michigan chapter of NORML, the National Organization for Rational Marijuana Laws.

"It's a very simplified law the way that it's stated, and I've been pointing out to these people all along that, technically, yes, marijuana is legal in the state of Michigan," Thompson said on WKAR-FM.

rsz_mich.jpg

News Hawk- Jacob Ebel 420 MAGAZINE
Source: mlive.com
Author: Angela Wittrock
Copyright: Michigan Live LLC.
Website: Attorney General Bill Schuette: No medical marijuana for drivers

"....protect people from those who are driving under the influence of drugs"

Really? Who's protecting people from those who are driving under the influence of valium, Xanax, oxycontin, percocet, and any number of drugs from a long list that are over-prescribed in this country every day? All of which warn about operating machinery, etc., on their labels. Employers are not testing for these drugs either.

The hypocrisy goes on and on and on.......

This may be controversial but has anyone actually had any problem driving while stoned? Apart from being a little over cautious I dont see any problem with it.
Your call of duty skills arent harmed at all, why should your driving skills be?

Back
Top Bottom