Attorney to Speak on Medical Marijuana Wednesday in Highland

Jacob Bell

An attorney whose specialities include medical marijuana rights will discuss Michigan's Medical Marihuana Act and related federal regulations this Wednesday at the Hydro Vision store in Highland.

The free event is open to the public, and runs 7-9 p.m.

"I hope people who are growers come, and caregivers and (medical marijuana) patients come," said Denise Pollicella, a Howell-based attorney.

"I also want people who are 100 percent against the (medical marijuana) law to come. I've met very few who are against it and those who are can't give a reason why except that 'it's against the law' – which just doesn't cut it," she said.

Pollicella has been a practicing attorney for 15 years, specializing in corporate and business transactions law as well as commercial real estate law. She said she added medical marijuana law to her practice in 2010 due to the legislative and administrative backlash that followed the 2008 voter approved constitutional referendum for medical marijuana use.

"I didn't get into it because it's marijuana. I got into it because 63 percent of voters in the state of Michigan voted for (medical marijuana) – and then a very few people in power said they don't think we should have that right," she said.

Among her talking points Wednesday will be discussion of a recent state Appellate Court decision on a civil case involving an Isabella County medical marijuana dispensary and patient-to-patient sales of medical marijuana. The decision has some people mistakenly believing medical marijuana dispensaries are illegal, she said.

"The court did not address patient-to-patient uncompensated transfer and it did not address patient-to-caregiver transactions," Pollicella said.

People are mistaken to believe the decision outlaws medical marijuana dispensaries, she said, adding, "there are some business models – ways to operate – that don't violate the existing law."

news40.jpg

News Hawk- Jacob Ebel 420 MAGAZINE
Source: hometownlife.com
Author: Aileen Wingblad
Copyright: hometownlife.com
Website: Attorney to speak on medical marijuana Wednesday in Highland

Back
Top Bottom