Aurora Indica - Indoor - Soil - LED - Grow

sweedish chef

Hi All!

Been wanting to do a journal to share my experience and get valuable input from the community.

A quick summary of what we're looking at:

Strain: Aurora Indica feminized.
Bonus strain: Freebee seeds, unknown variety/gender.

Medium: Soil. Smart pots, 3 or 2 gallon (I don't need them to get huge)

Nutes: Fox farm trio

Lights Veg: Galaxy Hydro 300W LED (This light sits high up and is how I start many other seedlings, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers etc.

Lights Flower: Advanced Platinum P300 (PlatinumLED)

Location: (Flower) Indoor 4x4x6 tent. Passive intakes, inline duct fan, and carbon filter.

What else? The strain is a heavy indica which was picked to help my wife's insomnia. She's had good results with similar strains, and this seemed to be a good match.
The strain also tends to be short which suits my limited grow space.

I'll grab a camera and snap some pics to go with this description.

Lets get this show on the road!

Day 1 pictures:

Day 1 for the aurora, bean has just popped up
IMG_69055.JPG

This Unknown strain (#1) has been above ground for about 3 weeks. Just fimmed yesterday.
IMG_69064.JPG

This little thing is actually also 3 weeks old. Thought it was dead, but so far it's just incredibly slow. :yikes:
IMG_69085.JPG

Trio of plants
IMG_69079.JPG

This is the inside of the tent. Duh.
IMG_69094.JPG

Happy that Unknown #2 started coming along. Hoping one of the unknowns turn out to be a lady.

The journal is really only meant for the Aurora plant. The other ones are just along for the ride. If anyone has any suggestions for experimentation, I can certainly entertain it for Unknown 1 and 2.

Notes:
Watered unknown #1 today.

Thanks for checking in guambomb80 and Frostbourne!
No picture update, but just for the sake of jotting it down: Unknown 1 and Unknown 2 were transplanted into 2 gallon smartpots today.
Unknown 1 was really root bound and needed it badly. It should take off in the next couple days I hope.

The AI is working hard on establishing its root system. I'll snap a picture tomorrow and post it. Not a ton of change, just a little taller.

Couple pictures from this morning.

For whatever reason the AI pic uploaded sideways. :straightface:

IMG_69137.JPG

The 2 unknowns are in their new 2 gallon homes. Maybe early for the smaller one but it seemed to have made it just fine.
Unknown 2 had some yellowing on its first fan leaves. Thinking it's because it was clearly root bound.

IMG_69155.JPG

Should I start giving the 2 unknowns nutes already?

Thanks gb80. When the soil dries out, i'll get some nutes prepared.

Still not a ton of action with the AI. It's doing alright but as you can see we're still waiting for the real growth to kick in.
IMG_69202.JPG

Now, Unknown 1 is looking pretty good. It's been above ground for close to a month, so I'm thinking about flowering it. Thoughts? I don't care about a big harvest since i have no idea about the strain. (That's if it even turns out female....)
Also, i'm happy about the FIM with this one. Looks like I got the right spot!

IMG_69186.JPG

Unknown 2 is crawling along as well. Looks healthy to me, but perhaps it's just a short slow growing strain.
At any rate, I think it needs to grow a bit bigger to be considered for the flowering tent.

IMG_69195.JPG

Thanks man. Do you think it's about the right size to flower though? I know what you mean by taking clones, but i'm more inclined to clone off the AI when time comes. ...plus i'm itching to get something in the tent.

I checked out your journals btw, that scrog is looking awesome! :thumb:

Your tent looks very similar to mine. What do you do for intake? I opened up one of the rectangular bottom vents and made a cardboard contraption to block out light. Hopefully you found a more effective way. If you have any pics I'd love to see.
-Chef

You could flower now if you wanted. Most people wait till they get the ammount of tops they think will produce the ammount of flower they want. I flower some plants from rooted clone and others I take a month or two for veg. Depends on my mood that particular day I guess...:)
As far as the intake goes, I use a passive intake from the bottom of my tent. I cut a piece of the duct about a foot long, open the duct vent in the bottom and just run it through. Creates good negative pressure and dosent make for a whole lot of dust on those mesh rectangular intakes. Last thing I want to do is sit there cleaning dust off those when I clean out my tent.. haha. I'll get a pic sometime tomorrow and post one up here for you..

Oh crap, if you are talking about my 2x2 tent I do the same but run the hose at the top since I don't have a bottom intake. I'll take a pic of the mesh one also and show you why I don't like using those:thumb:

Been almost a week, but now growth is starting to pick up!
Watered the AI earlier in the week, but the 2 unknowns are still sipping on last weeks watering.
Oddly U2 seems thirstier than U1 even though it's quite a bit smaller. Maybe most the growth is in the roots?
Topped U1 again on 8/27 to get it even bushier.

AI
IMG_69214.JPG

U1
Soon as pot dries out, this guy is getting nutes and put into flower.
IMG_69227.JPG

U2
Looking better every day. Probably attempting a FIM during the week.
IMG_69235.JPG

Thanks gb80. Looking forward to seeing the tent setup. I tried the 4" passive intake, but the negative pressure looked quite severe. The tent looked like some high school chicks duck-face selfie, and so i decided on opening the bigger flap.
I have a 4" on the bottom and a 6" round up top that I could potentially use. Seems airflow would be better with the intake on the bottom though. Thoughts?

On my small tent I intake from the top. Was using a duct fan but shut it off when I bought a small fan to blow on the plants. Seems to be fine in my tent as the temps stay about 75*f in there. I vented the rectangular vent and it just clogged with dust after about a month. If you think there is too much negative pressure on your tent then turn the exhaust fan down a notch. If don't already, I recommend getting a fan speed controller. Give me 15 mins and I'll post the pic to my Scrogco journal.

Back
Top Bottom