Australia: Geelong Cat Zack Tuohy Wants Medicinal Cannabis For Sufferers Like His Dad

Ron Strider

CATS defender Zach Tuohy is taking up the fight of his Parkinson's sufferer father to fast-track patient access to medical cannabis. The star recruit has opened up for the first time about his Irish dad's health battle and his own strong stance on the contentious issue of patient access to the illegal drug.

Zach's father Noel, a prison warden turned politician, was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease about three years ago.

Like his dad, the 27-year-old – who was traded to Geelong from Carlton at the end of 2016 – believes it makes sense for governments in Australia and Ireland to liberalize access to cannabis for medical reasons.

"I can't understand how anybody would be against any form of well tested, well understood medicine being available if it can help people," Zach told the Geelong Advertiser.

"The name of the drug is irrelevant I just think it's a really good cause my father is pushing and he's doing it for a very good reason and I'm happy to support it as well."

In April 2016, Victoria became the first state in Australia to legalize access to medicinal cannabis for patients with chronic illnesses, but the conditions and age rules vary from state to state.

Patients wanting access to the drug, which is still classed as 'unapproved' by the Therapeutic Goods Administration, need a letter from their GP or an approved prescriber. The special consideration process has been criticized for taking too long, and the conditions of use slammed as too narrow.

At this stage, Noel, 60, experiences a slight tremor in his right arm caused by the incurable central nervous system disorder.

He currently manages to control further symptoms with medication and while he is not yet in need of medicinal cannabis, his condition has solidified his belief in making the drug readily accessible to those who do.

Zach said the stigma around the use of marijuana to treat illness needs to be broken down to ensure those who could benefit don't feel judged for campaigning for, or taking up, an option that could improve their quality of life.

"I don't think anybody for a long time considered cannabis for anything except for a recreational drug and it's been illegal in most places so that's going to, over time, build up your view on it," he said.

"I think largely the issue might be people struggling to separate cannabis the drug from cannabis the medication.

"I'd imagine if you just educate people more on the benefits it can have that would very quickly knock down those stereotypes."

In a recent social media post, Noel urged all political parties to support the "progressive piece of legislation".

"I always considered my health to be my business, but I feel so strongly that we shouldn't let this opportunity to assist people with medicinal cannabis pass us by," he said.

"From Parkinson's to MS to depression, from epilepsy to strokes, and many other illnesses, reports say symptoms and pain can be greatly reduced (by cannabis).

"Of course this isn't the cure for everything, but if it improves health and controls pain, it can only be good."

Zach, the youngest of four children, re-posted his father's words with the caption: "He's one impressive man!"

The government has issued nine licenses for Australian-grown cannabis crops and about 2000 units of cannabis oil are being stored in secret warehouses across the country after being cleared by customs in recent weeks.

Zach said as a father he'd like to see children, particularly those with epilepsy who research suggests could significantly benefit, have timely access to the medication.

"I just can't understand why, if there is a drug out there that's positives far outweigh its negatives why you wouldn't allow people, under prescription and through the right pipelines, to access it," he said.

WHERE IS IT COMING FROM?

The Federal Government has given the green light for approved companies to legally import, store and sell the drug until domestic production meets local needs.

Nine licenses for Australian-grown cannabis crops have been issued – four in Victoria, two in Queensland, and one each in WA, NSW and an unannounced location.

WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?

Cannabis has been found to alleviate pain, relieve nausea and vomiting and induce hunger among other things.

HOW DO YOU GET IT?

Parliament legalized medicinal cannabis use in Australia for patients with painful and chronic illnesses, including those with cancer and HIV, and people with severe epilepsy, motor neuron disease and multiple sclerosis. Patients wanting access to the drug for relief presently require a letter from their GP or an approved prescriber.

HOW IS IT TAKEN?

It's likely to be taken in an oil or vaporizer form.

Zach_Tuohy_-_Glenn_Ferguson.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: No Cookies | Gold Coast Bulletin
Author: Jemma Ryan
Photo Credit: Glenn Ferguson

Back
Top Bottom