Auto flower: Why?

I read one grower said he likes the quicker turn over and get to sample more strains in a shorter time and to find some favorite strains to go back to.

I'm a first time grower and I chose to grow autos. First off I grow outdoors. I didn't start until the end of July. Since that was past the summer solstice, I wasn't sure how well a photo would do, since the days are getting shorter. With autos, it's all time related. I live where we only average about 5 days a year below freezing. Even during the winter, it is rare to see more that 3-4 days in a row where the daytime highs stay below 60*F. So I can basically grow autos outside year round. I do plan on growing a photo next year. Since we have such a long growing season, I can start planting outside in mid to late February. The only thing that would concern me would be how big a photo would get, since in theory, it could be growing for perhaps 7-8 months. I know, first world problems.

I been doing autos outdoor last few years in a row now . I Kinda liking them fast , short , and fire. They also use half the nutes. Few pics of autos I just harvest this weekend.

White widow auto
20190813_172128_Signature.jpg
20190813_172231_Signature.jpg
20190813_172210_Signature.jpg

Uk cheese
20190825_120721_Signature.jpg
20190825_120710_Signature.jpg
20190825_132852_Signature.jpg
20190825_125300_Signature.jpg

Autos tend to grow shorter than a photo-period.. also they grow quicker essentially and flower automatically/ early..

That's my knowledge of it anyhow, I hope this helps

I’ve grown three autos. I grew the first one because it was a free seed with some photos. I grew the other two because the strain isn’t available in a photo version.

:passitleft:

Autos for stealth growing foremost. Easy to hide in damn near anything, they even grow them in old PC cases. If you can't grow outdoors, live in cities or apartments, or it's still illegal where you are, autos are the only way to go. With the right treatment the yields can be pretty amazing. And yes you can sample a lot of strains and have them curing within 90 days or so. The fact you don't have to flip the lights, ever, is also great for first time growers.

One more thing about autos outdoors - those of us that live in the Northern latitudes don't have a heck of a lot of time to grow outdoors. I'm in the middle of Michigan and the logistics of getting a tomato/pepper/onion salsa garden planted from seed timing to setting out are intense. Any plant requiring 100+ days really needs to be started indoors under lights or in greenhouses, and any harvest of tropical fruits like peppers and tomatoes really needs to be done by late August early September. Long season onions up here are generally under the snow by the time they are ready, and if I grew a sativa up here the same thing would occur. With the weather changing in these past few years, our spring was far longer than usual, too, and predicting the weather ahead into the next season is getting a lot more difficult than it used to be. If we can grow the autos in large pots, move them out and in according to the frosts, etc. we can at least get a couple harvests in during the summer since their light schedule isn't as crucial as photos.

I grow both indoors auto & photo; when I want a quick crop I go auto; when I want to train plants and vegetate for extended period of time and burn less energy I go photo. Of course there are many more factors affecting one's decision to choose one or the other, Yields and cloning come to mind. @ the end of the day for me is about the next adventure in growing, as like to keep my growing endeavors interesting :thumb:

Previous Auto Grow NL... Amazing taste and effects

IMG_0711.JPG

Current Photo Grow Jack Herer ... will be ready in about two weeks.

10.jpg

I grow both indoors auto & photo; when I want a quick crop I go auto; when I want to train plants and vegetate for extended period of time and burn less energy I go photo. Of course there are many more factors affecting one's decision to choose one or the other, Yields and cloning come to mind. @ the end of the day for me is about the next adventure in growing, as like to keep my growing endeavors interesting :thumb:

Previous Auto Grow NL... Amazing taste and effects

IMG_0711.JPG

Current Photo Grow Jack Herer ... will be ready in about two weeks.

10.jpg
How was the NL auto? Those are the seeds I have coming next.

I have only grown an auto once. I put it outside and liked it because it didn't get to big so nice for a stealth backyard grow. Another good thing about auto's is you could run a perpetual grow all in the same space you could have plants finishing flower and smaller plants in the veg stage because you don't need to change light cycles to get them to flower.

How was the NL auto? Those are the seeds I have coming next.

The NL Auto final product... Phenomenal; great taste & the high is second to none. As a plant very easy to work with I had no issues at all. Time wise it took a little longer than calculated but no complaints at all.

The NL Auto final product... Phenomenal; great taste & the high is second to none. As a plant very easy to work with I had no issues at all. Time wise it took a little longer than calculated but no complaints at all.
That's great, I can't wait! I'm going to try it in my first dwc, I'll have 5 seeds so if I mess up I have back up. I'd like to try colloidal silver on one too, then pollinate another and get some auto seeds!

Back
Top Bottom