auto flowering genes

BarnacleBill

I'm the case of auto flowering strains. Is auto flowering a dominant or recessive trait? I'm just trying to get a grasp on this whole genetics part. I realize that they are a cross with rudder tail but how does that effect the genes?

the auto flowering gene is recessive and comes from the ruderalis species. I have not heard of rudder tail before, but I'm sure a Google search on the question would correct any inaccuracies with my statement.

how come you want to know?

Your right, its ruderalis. (Rudder tail was an auto correct from my phone....lol). I've got a degree in horticulture and a little mad scientist in me. Auto flowering strains are something that I'm not familer with. I've been away from growing for over 25 years due to my previous occupation and they were simply not around then. Thanks a lot for your input theengineer!

Okay, next question . If its a recessive gene and I cross polinate with a similar plant with similar characteristics that is not auto flowering , all progeny will be non auto flowering . A second crossing with these offspring I hould yeild approximately 25% auto flowering offspring wich should show without changing the light cycle from 16 hours . All seed gathered from that should be auto flowering offspring. Am I correct?

Can anyone answer this? I will use a Punnet Square to demonstrate:

Crossing a auto flowering female with a photoperiod flowering male
Auto flowering plant (assuming that the gene for auto flowering is recessive ) will be : aa
Photoperiod flowering plant will be : AA

a a
A Aa Aa
A Aa Aa

All progeny will be photoperiod dominant with a recessive auto flowering gene . None will show the auto flowering trait but will posses the gene as recessive . Now we polinate these offspring:

Progeny with both photoperiod dominant gene and auto flowering recessive gene : Aa

A a
A AA Aa
a Aa aa

This should yeild 50% photoperiod flowering dominant with a recessive auto flowering gene . 25% homogeneous photoperiod flowering plant. 25% homogeneous auto flowering plants.These should show by running a 16/16 hour light cycle continuously until they come into flower while the photoperiod dominant plants stay in a vegative state. Am I correct?

Can anyone answer this? I will use a Punnet Square to demonstrate:

Crossing a auto flowering female with a photoperiod flowering male
Auto flowering plant (assuming that the gene for auto flowering is recessive ) will be : aa
Photoperiod flowering plant will be : AA

a a
A Aa Aa
A Aa Aa

All progeny will be photoperiod dominant with a recessive auto flowering gene . None will show the auto flowering trait but will posses the gene as recessive . Now we polinate these offspring:

Progeny with both photoperiod dominant gene and auto flowering recessive gene : Aa

A a
A AA Aa
a Aa aa

This should yeild 50% photoperiod flowering dominant with a recessive auto flowering gene . 25% homogeneous photoperiod flowering plant. 25% homogeneous auto flowering plants.These should show by running a 16/16 hour light cycle continuously until they come into flower while the photoperiod dominant plants stay in a vegative state. Am I correct?

Wish I could give you the answer or someone could.

I crossed a Candy Kush auto with male pollen from a Afghan Kush from White Label Seed co. Hoping for autos in my seeds but if you are correct I should get none.

These will be harvested in another week or so and I am going to see what I get.

They should all have the gene in them. Of course it will be recessive. You should have auto flowering on the second run from the seed if I'm correct! Please, let me know how it turns out!

I will post my results here.

Here are a couple of pics of the seed producing Candy Kush Auto.

Need about 10
Auto_with_hand.jpg
Auto_close_up.jpg
Auto_front.jpg
to get to 15-30 days in to see if they flower on their own.

personally, I would not use autos again. I ran them 12/12 from seed and pulled some good weight, and some quite nice product. however, they just call short on both counts when compared to a regular photo plant. the fact their made up from 30% ruderallis, which produces less than 1% THC, means they're never going to be able to compete with plants containing 100% THC producing plants :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom