plm898

I am currently growing a auto anesthesia plant outdoors in the UK. I grew it indoors for about 4 weeks and then moved it outside. It has been outside for 2weeks now.
Disaster struck about 4 days after moving outside when half of one of the leaves was eaten off. Another leaf was then eaten off fully so I bought some big spray. This did not do anything and since then all the leaves but two have been eaten or fallen off. I have no put some slug/snail repellent down and the two leaves have not been eaten yet.
I am wondering if the plant will still grow at all, and if so how much will this effect the yield.
Appreciate any feedback back or tips. Also should I buy some fertiliser to boost growth?

I am currently growing a auto anesthesia plant outdoors in the UK. I grew it indoors for about 4 weeks and then moved it outside. It has been outside for 2weeks now.
Disaster struck about 4 days after moving outside when half of one of the leaves was eaten off. Another leaf was then eaten off fully so I bought some big spray. This did not do anything and since then all the leaves but two have been eaten or fallen off. I have no put some slug/snail repellent down and the two leaves have not been eaten yet.
I am wondering if the plant will still grow at all, and if so how much will this effect the yield.
Appreciate any feedback back or tips. Also should I buy some fertiliser to boost growth?

Hello mate, I've not grown outdoors, probably because I'm where you are! You need leaves mate, they are the bits that get light food to your plant.
Have you got any pics?

Outdoors in the uk is brutal, slugs and snails ruin crops. A few slug pellets won't help much as the rain will wash them away and the plant will absorb them, yuk. Get creative, a small trench, 4 inches wide and about a foot accross around the base of the plant, line with plastic guttering and fill half way with beer. Slugs n snails get pissed n drown before they reach the plant. Caterpillars are a menace. Horses ate mine last year.

Outdoors in the uk is brutal, slugs and snails ruin crops. A few slug pellets won't help much as the rain will wash them away and the plant will absorb them, yuk. Get creative, a small trench, 4 inches wide and about a foot accross around the base of the plant, line with plastic guttering and fill half way with beer. Slugs n snails get pissed n drown before they reach the plant. Caterpillars are a menace. Horses ate mine last year.

I've also heard slugs can't.climb copper which is why some people have copper strips on the door step ..

420-magazine-mobile884419012.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1796612488.jpg

I tried the beer trap, but all I caught was four-toothed Eddie (now sadly misnamed) trying to sneak off with my bait, lol.

Seriously, though, while the traps work and Cu does form an effective barrier (if used properly), did you know that some critters actually find slugs palatable? Yeah, surprised me too - but I've seen women eat canned tuna and, to me, it just stinks/looks like cheap canned cat food (the expensive canned cat food looks like something a person might actually eat). So... different strokes for different folks, I suppose. Anyway, hedgehogs, newts, toads and some birds - such as song thrushes - love to eat slugs and snails. Maybe you could do some web searching to get a list of such animals, narrow it down to the ones naturally found in your region, and then do whatever you can to attract and keep them nearby? That would help keep your slug population under control in the first place.

Thanks for the all the advice. I'll be sure to give them all a go. Will the plant likely survive if no more is eaten and if so how much will the yield be effected?

Back
Top Bottom