Auto Growers Unite: A Community Thread

For my first post in this thread for the new year — DEFOLIATION.

Many, if not most, growers have practiced defoliation, just as I have done. As I have also done topping and what's called LST, although with standard strains, not autos. It is a common way to open up a plant so more light reaches the lower branches. And this seems to make a lot of sense.

A technique that I, and many others in our group, used more than 3 decades ago and I see others on these forums are doing today — removing 1 leaf per node in a spiral pattern. This results in in 1 branch per node growing very well, but the other barely growing. This is often combined with topping and maybe LST to produce multiple growing tips, sites for good sized buds.

I'm also sure that many of you have heard different numbers thrown out about defoliation. Some say 50, or 40, or 42. But is this leaves or percent? Do you take this many or leave this amount? How was this determined?

But there was always something that bothered me about this. If you owned a factory, would you fire half the workers? Yes, I know cannabis is a weed and loses leaves in the wild. This is normal. But should we be taking healthy fan leaves off the plant?

These leaves, among other things, are the source of energy production. They are the solar cells of the plant, so to speak. And I realize that the plant has a surplus of them to deal with loss from various sources. Older fan leaves have another purpose. Think of them as spare parts. In times of need, the plant will sacrifice older fan leaves for newer growth. But it doesn't just drop the leave; it uses everything inside it first, which is why they'll turn yellow, or develop brown spots, etc.

If we've taken many of the fan leaves off of the plant, this reserve is gone. And we can't put the leaves back if a problem develops and the reserve could help. It's too late then. So there has to be a better idea than defoliation.

Cheers from the darkside
I leave the fan leaves as long as I possibly can because I agree they are needed for healthy growth. Once they start to turn yellow I will remove them as they change to yellow. I'll let the plant grow a while longer. Then my LST training begins for a few more weeks. I'll clean the bottom of the plants really good and see where I'm at. Once I'm ready for flower I'll trim and clean the plants good to make sure the sites will get plenty of light. On week 3 of flower I'll do another good defoil. Usually it works out for me and I have noticed a great deal of bud growth after the third week. It's preference for me really but I have had great success in doing it so I'll stick with it.

Can someone comment whether I have to have odor control for Fast Buds Pineapple Express Auto?

I grew some C-99 and got both Grapefruit and a Pineapple from them. The C-99 Pineapple was really funky smelling, though not an odor problem. I had to disturb the plant or put nose close to smell it. Was wanting a nice Auto Pineapple, but cannot have an odor problem.

I've a small grow box of cardboard and balcony light to use and had decent results with the C-99 and Bubblegum Autos (produced more than I had thought on Bubblegum and no odor problems)

Also...I used LST for those plants, but was considering topping this time. Is the recommendations for best results at 2nd nodes? Or would 3rd be better?

Thanks for helping an ignorant person?
Always good practice to have odor control. I really see no point as I have permits and a licence to grow in my area, however if you don't it would be healthy and recommended. For topping I top at 3rd or 4th node depending on growth rate. I hope this helps you some. Please feel free to ask any more questions you may have

Hello All, I'm getting ready to slip on into the world of Auto's and just found this group. Figured there had to be a common group thread. Finishing a photo in the moment. I'm looking towards doing a tight 6-8 SOG in a 2x2.5 - 6'7 tent. Planning on using 1.5 gallon Hempy buckets and have two PSMini's for Light! Nutes will be DynaGro. Looking for some fast growing (6-7)wks and mix in some slower growing 8-10weeks. Any suggestions and recommendations especially with regards to seed selection would be really nice.

Hello All, I'm getting ready to slip on into the world of Auto's and just found this group. Figured there had to be a common group thread. Finishing a photo in the moment. I'm looking towards doing a tight 6-8 SOG in a 2x2.5 - 6'7 tent. Planning on using 1.5 gallon Hempy buckets and have two PSMini's for Light! Nutes will be DynaGro. Looking for some fast growing (6-7)wks and mix in some slower growing 8-10weeks. Any suggestions and recommendations especially with regards to seed selection would be really nice.
Would you be looking for more of a cbc strain or a thc strain?

Would you be looking for more of a cbc strain or a thc strain?
Certainly a THC strain. Was looking at a strain called Big Bang as one idea. Brother @FelipeBlu has some White Widow and Jack Herer. Would like to get a Lemon Haze.

Certainly a THC strain. Was looking at a strain called Big Bang as one idea. Brother @FelipeBlu has some White Widow and Jack Herer. Would like to get a Lemon Haze.
WW is an awesome strain. You could also try some dark devil. They are really fine smoke. There is so many awesome auto strains out there right now and it's too damn hard to choose lol

WW is an awesome strain. You could also try some dark devil. They are really fine smoke. There is so many awesome auto strains out there right now and it's too damn hard to choose lol
Couldn't have said it better. I know there are so many auto strains to choose from, so looking to read some journals of folks with experience. Research before Acton

Couldn't have said it better. I know there are so many auto strains to choose from, so looking to read some journals of folks with experience. Research before Acton
That is about the beat advice anyone could give you. I did well with the early miss and northern lights auto by CKS check out my journal when you get a chance you might like them

Always good practice to have odor control. I really see no point as I have permits and a licence to grow in my area, however if you don't it would be healthy and recommended. For topping I top at 3rd or 4th node depending on growth rate. I hope this helps you some. Please feel free to ask any more questions you may have

No license here..and apartment living needs either odor control or low odor. Reassessing decided to LST only. The Bubblegum performed very well with LST and the others I've grown...the idea of cutting top makes me uncomfortable.

Decisions made and expect c-99 x blueberry order tracking in mail delivery today. Sounds like an interesting hybrid.

Thanks

Here's a shot of my critical purple auto flower prod 3 week of flower
I know the discription says tangerine but it's wrong lol

High fellow Auto growers! :high-five:

Thanks for the recommended strains Angel. I am looking forward to the WW. It seems that there are several phenos out there. This one is from Spliff seeds.

60% Indica. Genotype: Brazilian Sativa x South Indian x NL Special x Afghan Lowryder. Incense aroma. Earthy, hashlike taste (Kush). Super early finisher for outdoor. Short and compact covered in trichomes. Strong bodystoned and psycho-active high. THC percentage medium-high.

To refine the search parameters, in particular, we are looking for a Sativa-dom that will grow without too much width, primarily producing a thick main cola. I myself am partial to Super Lemon Haze, and would love to hear about anyone growing an Auto version.

Thanks, and keep it growing! :yummy:

To refine the search parameters, in particular, we are looking for a Sativa-dom that will grow without too much width, primarily producing a thick main cola. I myself am partial to Super Lemon Haze, and would love to hear about anyone growing an Auto version.

Try the search feature on Seedsman, that should pull up tons of sativa dominant autos. Plus, the 4/20 sale started today - the site is slow due to high traffic right now though.

High fellow Auto growers! :high-five:

Thanks for the recommended strains Angel. I am looking forward to the WW. It seems that there are several phenos out there. This one is from Spliff seeds.

60% Indica. Genotype: Brazilian Sativa x South Indian x NL Special x Afghan Lowryder. Incense aroma. Earthy, hashlike taste (Kush). Super early finisher for outdoor. Short and compact covered in trichomes. Strong bodystoned and psycho-active high. THC percentage medium-high.

Thanks, and keep it growing! :yummy:
No problem at all. So many pheno types in that strain that would really make it worth while

No license here..and apartment living needs either odor control or low odor. Reassessing decided to LST only. The Bubblegum performed very well with LST and the others I've grown...the idea of cutting top makes me uncomfortable.

Decisions made and expect c-99 x blueberry order tracking in mail delivery today. Sounds like an interesting hybrid.

Thanks
If you catch the tops at 3rd or 4th node you can top and you'll be pleasantly surprised at how well your ladies will grow.

If you catch the tops at 3rd or 4th node you can top and you'll be pleasantly surprised at how well your ladies will grow.
So you Top above the 3rd or even 4th node once? FelipeBlu and I were discussing privately and wondering if one could have time to top a second time to create a set of four colas. How do you feel about a second topping after say the 1st or second nodes of the secondary branches. Kind of like this -
My thought if it's possible to complete to this point is to have several smaller 1 gallon hempy pots and let them bean stalk from this point.

So you Top above the 3rd or even 4th node once? FelipeBlu and I were discussing privately and wondering if one could have time to top a second time to create a set of four colas. How do you feel about a second topping after say the 1st or second nodes of the secondary branches. Kind of like this -
My thought if it's possible to complete to this point is to have several smaller 1 gallon hempy pots and let them bean stalk from this point.
That I'm not sure of I had topped twice on some candy cane autos but it didn't matter they were actually turned out to be male so I honestly couldnt tell you. My guess is its probably possible but again i would hate to say i successfully done it when i in fact didnt. I would hate to give people the wrong info and screw their grows up. I know i wouldn't appreciate it if it were to happen to me so lol

Thx Chris ... do you actually know what it is ?? i was thinking genetic but the spots look also like mosaic virus
Yea all mine look the same way and when i first started out i thought is was tabacoo virus also but i dnt think it is now since all my plants grow out of it lol so not fully sure but ur girl is looking very good bro good job

Back
Top Bottom