Auto Jack 2: A Re-Veg Story

This is one of the best thread for autos. I wonder how long you could extend the same plants for multiple harvest? Taking root space into consideration?

From what I can see in the photos....there were no small shoots left on the stem at all. Do you think it would be more rapid and reveg with leaving a few tiny bottom shoots?

Do you think leaving in the garage to dry out a couple of days contributed in a major way to it's reveg? Maybe no need for that part at all?

Maybe prompted it into producing more flowers and fulfill it's genetic programmed need to produce seed for reproduction?

I know my tomato plants are like that. Since the plant's genetics are programed to make seed (the tomato itself is just it's seed pods), picking them off before the fruits get ripe to make viable seeds causes the plants to get desperate to make more flowers, in the attempt to complete it's genetic need to make seeds. I like fried green tomatoes and my neighbors too as well...lol

Is there a reason you did not prune the dead parts?

This is one of the best thread for autos.

Thanks Gato! :high-five: I appreciate your interest! You asked some thoughtful and interesting questions:

I wonder how long you could extend the same plants for multiple harvest? Taking root space into consideration?

This is certainly worth exploring! I think some careful root pruning and a repot into fresh perlite takes care of the root space issue. For this exercise, I really believe that hempy is the way to go. Even with the soil portion packed with roots from the first grow, there was explosive growth once the roots got into the new perlite wicking water/nutrients up from the reservoir.

From what I can see in the photos....there were no small shoots left on the stem at all. Do you think it would be more rapid and reveg with leaving a few tiny bottom shoots?

Actually, if ya zoom in on the photo taken 8 days after harvest, you may see 3 small spots of green. They essentially looked the same immediately after harvest. Had I expected re-veg, I would have left more of the lower growth. Not sure if it would have been more rapid though. Next time!

Do you think leaving in the garage to dry out a couple of days contributed in a major way to it's reveg? Maybe no need for that part at all?

Looking at my notes, the final (light) fertigation was 3 days before harvest. And then it sat in the garage (semi-dark and cool) for an additional 2 days. Don’t know why I decided to put it out in the greenhouse and start fertigating it again, but it started showing new growth after the first fertigation. Not sure if the drying step is actually needed. Something else to test next time!

Maybe prompted it into producing more flowers and fulfill it's genetic programmed need to produce seed for reproduction?

Perhaps:hmmmm:

Is there a reason you did not prune the dead parts?

There were two reasons:
1. I was holding out for the possibility of even more shoots sprouting out of the remaining nodes.
Maybe after this harvest? :green_heart:

2. The dead(?) stems are hollow and may provide habitat for pests or bacteria. So I figured to keep the cut ends as far away from the new growth as possible. Probably doesn’t matter - the outdoors is so full of pests anyway! o_O

Thanks again for your interest!
:passitleft:

I was just noticing that you said the garage was dark and cool. That may be a factor as well, instead of a warm garage (or very warm for some). The cooler environment was less stressing to the plant and the dark period may have triggered some sort of a survival/make seed reaction.

I have some Northern Lights and a Sugar Black Rose growing and may try them. By the time they would be harvested? There may be some more answers to best initiating it.

Thanks

Hi folks! After my last post, I realized that you were probably figuring that I had forgotten that I was actually growing a plant. Let’s see, what day are we at now.. :p

Post-harvest day 87
Outdoor Photo Session!

Looks like she’s probably going to go as long as JHa1 (112 days).

She came back well!

Thanks Penny! :high-five:

Ya know, I love this strain, and sativa-doms in general, but if I’m gonna start growing Autos outdoors, then they are really going to have to be faster!

Taking 13 weeks to mature is just too much exposure to the myriad of summer pests we have here. This one has had thrips, white flies, spider mites, and an occasional caterpillar. The lady bugs can hardly keep up!

Looking at another 30 days before harvest, I think another spinosad treatment is in order after sundown tonight.

Give me a great 8-9 week flowering Auto Sativa, and I’ll grow it outdoors here. Otherwise, I’m liking the indoor growing environment.

It just occurred to me..

The extremely wide difference in flowering time between the two plants in my last grow should enable me to determine whether the volunteer is actually a self-pollinated Auto Kryptonite (59 days flowering), or a cross with the Auto Jack, which should be significantly longer flowering (sometime between 59 and 92 days).

Best I can figure, the volunteer is around 6-7 weeks. So we shall see..

Back
Top Bottom