Auto seed questions

superflow30

Some questions;
1) Do auto seeds mature faster than photos?
2) I have an auto Bruce Banner that was pollinated a while back. Its ready to harvest but the seeds will take a few more weeks to mature. Is it ok to harvest what I can off of the plant and keep the seeds “cooking” or will the plant be too stressed out to mature the seeds?
3) What would happen if I put a pollinated plant with maturing seeds back into an 18/6 schedule? Would it stop maturing the seeds and go into veg? I’d like to finish some of the pollinated plants outside but we have 15 - 16 hours of light up here.
4) I sprayed one branch of an auto a couple of times and then stopped (decided I wanted the product instead) but it ended up generating pollen sacs. Have you ever consumed any of the plants that you’ve sprayed with STS or CS?

Thanks!

4) I sprayed one branch of an auto a couple of times and then stopped (decided I wanted the product instead) but it ended up generating pollen sacs. Have you ever consumed any of the plants that you’ve sprayed with STS or CS?

Thanks!
Don’t EVER consume plants treated with Silver.

Can you expand? I'm curious. Lots of great autoflower varieties in my opinion.
Ya I’m kind of interested in hearing the current arguments against autos.
I’ve been growing them for a little over a year and all I have to show for it is a filing cabinet full of amazing weed.
What I don’t have:
Worries about power outages, light leaks, a huge power bill, a huge water bill, a huge nutrient bill.
I love autos- and they get better all the time.
To each their own, some people don’t feel that way and they are entitled to that opinion. It just likely won’t be real popular here.

Can you expand? I'm curious. Lots of great autoflower varieties in my opinion.
I dunno, I guess it's just a pride thing.

1619914171789.png

I don't need training wheels. I have gained the experience needed to ride without. It's more challenging, but much more rewarding.

Output weight is poor, quality is poor, price of seeds is high -- and why? Because you can't grow?

Well, you can grow.
Start with an easy genetic and learn to grow weed.

Leave the Ruderalis alone ... it's not real.
Start with a Blue Dream girl, or a Northern Lights.
Great smoke, easy to grow.

Don't be afraid.
Grow MJ.

Please consider growing cannabis instead.
Don't grow autos.

Waste of water and nutes and light.

Please.
Don't do it.
Why would you tell someone this? I grow autos and just got 4 quart jars packed full to the top in buds and that didn’t include the 60 grams I used off my gorilla glue auto to make gummies and cookies. Its a weed plant just like any other and will give you buds to smoke.

Ya I’m kind of interested in hearing the current arguments against autos.
I’ve been growing them for a little over a year and all I have to show for it is a filing cabinet full of amazing weed.
What I don’t have:
Worries about power outages, light leaks, a huge power bill, a huge water bill, a huge nutrient bill.
I love autos- and they get better all the time.
To each their own, some people don’t feel that way and they are entitled to that opinion. It just likely won’t be real popular here.
I’m with you 100%. It must be an ego thing people have that want to say your not growing REAL weed unless its a photo plant. Thats bull.

Why would you tell someone this? I grow autos and just got 4 quart jars packed full to the top in buds and that didn’t include the 60 grams I used off my gorilla glue auto to make gummies and cookies. Its a weed plant just like any other and will give you buds to smoke.
Meh.
Yea, ok.

What ever.
But don't you ever wonder, if you HAD to grow MJ, could you?

Four quart jars? A gallon?
What is that dried ... two, maybe three ounces?
And how many plants did you grow for those three oz?

Wanna grow something to be proud of? Grow marijuana.
Outside you can get up to three pounds PER PLANT.
And it will have MUCH more flavor, and smell ...

Know why?
Because it will be MARIJUANA.

Try it.
You'll like it.

I dunno, I guess it's just a pride thing.

1619914171789.png

I don't need training wheels. I have gained the experience needed to ride without. It's more challenging, but much more rewarding.

Output weight is poor, quality is poor, price of seeds is high -- and why? Because you can't grow?

Well, you can grow.
Start with an easy genetic and learn to grow weed.

Leave the Ruderalis alone ... it's not real.
Start with a Blue Dream girl, or a Northern Lights.
Great smoke, easy to grow.

Don't be afraid.
Grow MJ.
Well I've grown both, and if anything, it's more difficult to grow autos. A bump in the road can have a bigger impact on the final yield. People are pulling great numbers (7-16+oz) off auto plants and the quality is right up there with any photoperiod. Yes you aren't going to grow monster auto plants most of the time but not everybody needs to. They can be a great option for some people and it certainly doesn't mean they can't grow cannabis or MARIJUANA as you keep calling it. What a load of pish! I don't like to argue with people on here, but saying that is a load of rubbish. Probably stuck in the past when autos weren't good.

From what I have seen and experienced the breeders have done a great job over the years breeding out the undesirable ruderalis traits apart from the autoflowering trait, so the quality has become excellent. Give one a try you might be surprised.

Well I've grown both, and if anything, it's more difficult to grow autos. A bump in the road can have a bigger impact on the final yield. People are pulling great numbers (7-16+oz) off auto plants and the quality is right up there with any photoperiod. Yes you aren't going to grow monster auto plants most of the time but not everybody needs to. They can be a great option for some people and it certainly doesn't mean they can't grow cannabis or MARIJUANA as you keep calling it. What a load of pish! I don't like to argue with people on here, but saying that is a load of rubbish. Probably stuck in the past when autos weren't good.

From what I have seen and experienced the breeders have done a great job over the years breeding out the undesirable ruderalis traits apart from the autoflowering trait, so the quality has become excellent. Give one a try you might be surprised.
I've been growing "real cannabis" for 30 years. I can grow whatever, whenever I want to, and I choose autos because I like them...and like I said, impervious to power outages and light leaks.
They are only easier if you know WTF you're doing. If you don't, they're a fast road to frustration and can die in a few days.
They are fast turnaround when done correctly, and with MegaCrop (which probably isn't real, either) I can get about 6-7 oz (dried and cured) from every plant at a cost of something ridiculous like $.02 per gram. How much more are they per seed, like $1? Who cares?
With only about 700w total between all my tents, I pull about 35-45 oz every 80-100 days. good luck doing that outside in Washington winter. So my THC is 23% instead of 26%. Again, who cares?
Ruderalis is real, I'm afraid. Saying it's not real is like saying hemp isn't real, or sativa isn't real. Our weed today wouldn't be the same if other varieties didn't exist to breed with.
Times are changing and so are autos. If they were that easy, everyone here would be growing them with success.
On the other hand, If photos were that much better, autos wouldn't be taking over the market right now.

If a person wants to sit back and trash talk autos on someone else's thread, they should probably expect some push back on the subject.
Telling someone Northern lights is real weed and Autos are crap...kind of invites an argument you'll likely never win here.
I'll go back and tend to my imposter "marijuana" garden where nothing is real and envy of photo growers is my only comfort....

:cough::rofl:

I've been growing "real cannabis" for 30 years. I can grow whatever, whenever I want to, and I choose autos because I like them...and like I said, impervious to power outages and light leaks.
They are only easier if you know WTF you're doing. If you don't, they're a fast road to frustration and can die in a few days.
They are fast turnaround when done correctly, and with MegaCrop (which probably isn't real, either) I can get about 6-7 oz (dried and cured) from every plant at a cost of something ridiculous like $.02 per gram. How much more are they per seed, like $1? Who cares?
With only about 700w total between all my tents, I pull about 35-45 oz every 80-100 days. good luck doing that outside in Washington winter. So my THC is 23% instead of 26%. Again, who cares?
Ruderalis is real, I'm afraid. Saying it's not real is like saying hemp isn't real, or sativa isn't real. Our weed today wouldn't be the same if other varieties didn't exist to breed with.
Times are changing and so are autos. If they were that easy, everyone here would be growing them with success.
On the other hand, If photos were that much better, autos wouldn't be taking over the market right now.

If a person wants to sit back and trash talk autos on someone else's thread, they should probably expect some push back on the subject.
Telling someone Northern lights is real weed and Autos are crap...kind of invites an argument you'll likely never win here.
I'll go back and tend to my imposter "marijuana" garden where nothing is real and envy of photo growers is my only comfort....

:cough::rofl:
Well said mate.

Fun thread. Kinda went off the rails though.

In an attempt to answer OP's questions:
1) Pretty sure they mature at the same rate. 4 - 6 weeks give or take.
2) You should be fine. I've had to do it a few times with no problems. Pollenating the lowest buds on the branch makes it pretty easy too.
3) An auto wouldn't be affected by that. It'd mature normally. Not sure about photo though. My guess is the seeds would still be able to mature before/while revegging.
4) Some say to not consume any part of a plant thats been sprayed, some say just the parts that haven't been sprayed, some say it's bro science... Haven't seen anything that convinces me of either. I wouldn't consume it just in case. Maybe make hash or edibles if I'm in a real pinch.

Fun thread. Kinda went off the rails though.

In an attempt to answer OP's questions:
1) Pretty sure they mature at the same rate. 4 - 6 weeks give or take.
2) You should be fine. I've had to do it a few times with no problems. Pollenating the lowest buds on the branch makes it pretty easy too.
3) An auto wouldn't be affected by that. It'd mature normally. Not sure about photo though. My guess is the seeds would still be able to mature before/while revegging.
4) Some say to not consume any part of a plant thats been sprayed, some say just the parts that haven't been sprayed, some say it's bro science... Haven't seen anything that convinces me of either. I wouldn't consume it just in case. Maybe make hash or edibles if I'm in a real pinch.
Thank You S!
4 - 6 weeks! A lot less than Photos then? - 3rd question Got it. It was meant for photos (sorry I didn't clarify).
4th question - I heard from some who have consumed sprayed bits but ... yeah ... I think I'll not.

Thanks again!

So Auto seeds take less time to mature than photos?

the trade off is you have less control over the grow.

if it's a first time out i would strongly suggest going with a photo period plant. auto's will trigger early on any induced stress. problems can arise that the grower can't fix in time for flower, and a problem in flower can be the end of it.

it's best to have a little experience before jumping in to autos.

as for the controversy ..

the big debate around autos has to do with ruderalis, which is a cannabis (like hemp) family plant that produces no thc. ruderalis flowers automatically as it matures. it developed naturally that way as a result of the climate it originates in. it also comes from the same place all cannabis is thought to have originated.

ruderalis is bred in to a photo plant to create the auto flower plant with thc. this is considered a weakening of the gene pool by many purists, resulting in a plant with less capability of producing thc.

in reality, decent breeding programs negate the issue entirely. novice breeders and back yarders banging their own seed out becomes the problem, as that can find it's way in to the 'wild', with the potential of weakening the collective gene pool over time.

I grow both and have 2 autos in my tent right now that are going to yield 1/2 pound each or more when they are done in a few weeks. I also grew autos on my first and only soil grow, they didn't yield as much (2oz per plant) but in all fairness I messed the grow right from the start. 1 of the plants in my tent is the same strain that I grew on my first grow, world of difference from soil to dwc.

I think I got mixed up lol. Seeds take about 4 - 6 weeks to mature. I'd day flowering time is about the same with photos and autos. Autos I've grown have taken 3 1/2 - 4 months to fully mature from seed.

About that 3rd question. I'm not sure that's how it works. It's a conjecture at best.
There aren't many autos that take longer than 100 days beginning to end. 6-8 weeks is pretty standard flower time, with veg being anywhere from 20-35 days.
Some Sativa autos will take longer, and some growers do defoliation at the proper stages keeping theirs growing a bit longer as well.

the trade off is you have less control over the grow.

if it's a first time out i would strongly suggest going with a photo period plant. auto's will trigger early on any induced stress. problems can arise that the grower can't fix in time for flower, and a problem in flower can be the end of it.

it's best to have a little experience before jumping in to autos.

as for the controversy ..

the big debate around autos has to do with ruderalis, which is a cannabis (like hemp) family plant that produces no thc. ruderalis flowers automatically as it matures. it developed naturally that way as a result of the climate it originates in. it also comes from the same place all cannabis is thought to have originated.

ruderalis is bred in to a photo plant to create the auto flower plant with thc. this is considered a weakening of the gene pool by many purists, resulting in a plant with less capability of producing thc.

in reality, decent breeding programs negate the issue entirely. novice breeders and back yarders banging their own seed out becomes the problem, as that can find it's way in to the 'wild', with the potential of weakening the collective gene pool over time.
And that's why I won't share my seeds until I've bred them properly for several generations.
I could see the draw in people wanting to sell seeds if they had made a ton of them, but improper breeding will muddy the genepool, no doubt. As much as every grower throwing a bagseed into their mix this year lol

Breeding is another thing that if it were easy, everyone would do it and wouldn't need to spend $10-20 per seed.

Thanks!
I realize you still haven't gotten a real answer here-
STS and CS will cause extreme lung irritation, and other health problems if smoked. Read about it ANYWHERE on the internet. DO NOT CONSUME!
And if you sprayed it, it's not just on one branch, it's on that whole section.
On the other hand, if it's creating pollen sacs, you will need to either get rid of it QUICKLY or it will pollinate and seed the rest of the plant(s), and that plant won't make anymore THC where it's been pollinated.

Yes you can pick some of the buds off the BB plant and leave the rest of the plant to develop its seeds. If it's auto you can put it in 24 hours of light and it won't care.

This sounds like a complicated project for someone who isn't familiar with autos. Be careful, pollen is like cockroaches and it will be everywhere before you know it's there.

Back
Top Bottom