Autoflower Early Bud Development: When To Harvest?

Seniorweeder

Ok, I must say, fast growing is an understatement when growing "Auto's". At least it is for my first grow. I have 2 "Tangerine Dream" and "2 Blueberry". All are the exact same age from seed, I topped and did LST on 1 of each for a comparison. To my surprise, one of the topped TD's started flowering about 10 days before the other 3 did. She is at 6 1/2 weeks old and 3 or so weeks into flower.

Everything I read claims they mature at about 70/75 days from seed. The buds are stacked nicely and starting to brown a bit but she's only maybe 48 days old. Is that very odd? I want to flush as always but wonder how much time before she is fully mature? Please advise. Let me know if more pix are needed. In the picture of both, the right one is a topped Blueberry! Thanks a ton guys as always!

Tan Dream 6 Weeks 5-7-21.jpg

Tan Deam Bud 6 Weeks..5-7-21.jpg

Tan:Blue 6 Weeks 5-7-21.jpg

Well, im in the no flush team, so i would suggest no flushing.

To me, it appears to be a long way until harvest.

Altough a little bit of the pistils are brown, most of them are white.
Also, Pistils are not a good way to knowing when to harvest.

Buy a pocket microscope. 40 to 60x...
Then look at the trichomes.

There are plenty of info in the forum on checking harvest time by trichome status.
Usually, when plants are ready to harvest, almost all pistils are brown, but you should definitely look at the trichomes status for harvest time.

Well, im in the no flush team, so i would suggest no flushing.

To me, it appears to be a long way until harvest.

Altough a little bit of the pistils are brown, most of them are white.
Also, Pistils are not a good way to knowing when to harvest.

Buy a pocket microscope. 40 to 60x...
Then look at the trichomes.

There are plenty of info in the forum on checking harvest time by trichome status.
Usually, when plants are ready to harvest, almost all pistils are brown, but you should definitely look at the trichomes status for harvest time.
Thanks Bruno, I did recently buy a lighted loop, but not sure what I'm looking for, I will be doing more studies on that subject as U advise. I am actually not in a hurry and was hoping they may get even taller if possible before harvest. Very good input Grow friend!

Also I have been watering with tap water and Cal-mag every other watering which is now about every 2 days as they are drinking heavily, the every other water I'm using Advanced Nutrients Micro, Grow, and Bloom at 3 ml each , and 2 ml of A.N.'s Big Bud, with 2 ml of Cal mag. As all plants are now 2 weeks or more into flower should I still alternate the full nutes or use them at each watering?

Thanks Bruno, I did recently buy a lighted loop, but not sure what I'm looking for, I will be doing more studies on that subject as U advise. I am actually not in a hurry and was hoping they may get even taller if possible before harvest. Very good input Grow friend!
Well the basic is:
Transparent trichome = immature, still has a lot to pack in cannabinoids
Cloudy trichome = thats what you are aiming for when you are looking for uplifting cannabis
Amber trichome = it is said to give that couchlock high

So you can actually decide how you want its effects.
Looking for uplifting cannabis? 80-90% cloudy and 10-20% amber
Looking for a more body relaxing high, try more amber trichomes.

I think thats the logic.

Of course plant genetics affects the high too.

Remember that the plant will present a lot of different trichomes stages, because they mature in different periods, so you should give your plant a general look, annd decide when you think the trichomes are approximating what you want.

Maybe a loop you wont see them clearly, i would suggest a 60x microscope, they are cheap and good.
But try it with what you have. Plenty of info on it in the internet.

Well the basic is:
Transparent trichome = immature, still has a lot to pack in cannabinoids
Cloudy trichome = thats what you are aiming for when you are looking for uplifting cannabis
Amber trichome = it is said to give that couchlock high

So you can actually decide how you want its effects.
Looking for uplifting cannabis? 80-90% cloudy and 10-20% amber
Looking for a more body relaxing high, try more amber trichomes.

I think thats the logic.

Of course plant genetics affects the high too.

Remember that the plant will present a lot of different trichomes stages, because they mature in different periods, so you should give your plant a general look, annd decide when you think the trichomes are approximating what you want.

Maybe a loop you wont see them clearly, i would suggest a 60x microscope, they are cheap and good.
But try it with what you have. Plenty of info on it in the internet.
Thanks again friend, I ordered a Microscope a few days ago,, I hope I can tell what I'm looking at!

Thanks again friend, I ordered a Microscope a few days ago,, I hope I can tell what I'm looking at!
also worth notingnrjat the trichromes will look like globes on top of spires. They come into real focus with a scope and you can see the globes transparency. I just harvested a 2oz plant that only flowered for 39 days. it had some amber trichromes and the majority odntjenpistilnjairs were also orange across the plant. it dried andncured perfectly and then other I had of the same strain went the full 63 days. only difference was in yield but was also a close race with the smaller of the 3 others. odd pheno of the same plant can do this occasionally. if you let the plant tell you "when" then you can't go wrong. often the write ups are more of a selling pint than true record of grow times ect. Good luck

also worth notingnrjat the trichromes will look like globes on top of spires. They come into real focus with a scope and you can see the globes transparency. I just harvested a 2oz plant that only flowered for 39 days. it had some amber trichromes and the majority odntjenpistilnjairs were also orange across the plant. it dried andncured perfectly and then other I had of the same strain went the full 63 days. only difference was in yield but was also a close race with the smaller of the 3 others. odd pheno of the same plant can do this occasionally. if you let the plant tell you "when" then you can't go wrong. often the write ups are more of a selling pint than true record of grow times ect. Good luck
Thanks so much for your input friend, it is encouraging. Just waiting for Microscope to get here now!

Thanks so much for your input friend, it is encouraging. Just waiting for Microscope to get here now!
it gets easier once you use the scope. The scope can seem confusing at first as a slight movement when looking down it , moves lots under scoping so you need a steady hand and check sugar leaf around the buds too. tourbillon see the difference between clear/cloudy/ amber very easily too. its line a new world opening up when you see the globes on stalks for the 1st time . dont be disheartened if you can't find much straight away. it takes a little exploration of the magnifications to find the one for each bit your observing. Good luck and here if you need any help.

Man,,,, U guys rock on here, such good help/info, and reassurance. I had been using my judgment on how the Pistils color in the past and was leery of my stupid ability to use a microscope for any determination. But I must say I just got my scope today and it's really cool to use.

As "Ganjagrandaddy" commented it is VERY touchy with any movement but once it's dialed in it's and exciting new world down there. Such a learning process and what a blast for this old guy! So far on my Tangerine Dream Auto girl in the first picture up top, which is 4 weeks into flowering, I have maybe 75% orange/brown Pistils on the buds but mostly clear "Trich's", I'm guessing I have a ways to go still. Does this sound about right for the flower timing/development?

Tan dream,,, at 7.5 weeks.jpg

Oooooops, I forgot to add the bigger pic of the same plant. I am VERY happy for my first "Auto" grow! Whatcha think?

Tan Dream,,5-17-21 .. 7.5 Weeks.JPG
looking damn good for 1st one too. Like you i have only been using autos recently and am finding my feet after decades of photoperiod growing.lpl .1st one went tits up alongside a normal grow on 12/12 light a few years back so avoided them since but last year I did a run and loved them for their simplicity of left alone. This perpetual run in my sweet seeds diary has been amazing and really boosted the indoor growing yield over the time periods. managed nearly 4 harvests so far in the time I would have had 2 photoperiod with far less overall yield. A little lst and setting up preflower and your away. brilliant. about to harvest the next six now too with new beans in soil ( x9 and 3 different strains) Love the speed and potential.

knew seeing the globes would pull you in too. lol. wait till you explore how they really grow and use the world around them too. rabbit hole time. lol . It is a whole new world with rules and logic beneath that soil and in those plants. heehee. your going great and looks like you will be rewarded well .

The globes will steadily start to all go milky and a few days after that the amber ones will start showing up. The sweet spot is 30% amber but that's hard to judge and for me, when I pull them . The next bit is the drying. essential to the success or failure of the whole time/money invested. Too fast and the buds will lose their terpenes at an alarming rate and the chlorophyll in the leaves will not have chance to be used and dissipate before being smoked. This can lead to harsh "hay" tasting weed that has very little potency. ideally a low and slow dry in total dark to avoid the terpenes being evaporated so fast amd allow the chlorophyll to be converted as she dries into more goodness for us at the end and no harsh hit. Lower (50%-30%) Rh is vital to the drying and to avoid molds , the lower temp ( below 18°c) dry can avoid the conditions that bud rot loves . with the density of your buds , you will have to watch for it like a hawk . it is spottable but usually AFTER it has begun in the bids at stem level. keep airflow exchanging but not blowing directly on the plant as it dries. I don't cut any stems at all until completely dried and ready. this allows her final days attempt at life can be supported by the system in the stems that transports food/oils ect.. around . If cut before , all pathways are no longer able to transport chlorophyll ect so it gets dried withing the cut section and lingers after the drying. Harsh hits are the main reason for this Hope that is not too much waffle lol.

Back
Top Bottom