Autoflower Question

Herbinatah

420 Member
I currently am in the final week or two of a photo period grow. I have autoflower seeds that i would like to start. The question is would it stunt the growth real bad to put it in the window and then in the flower room every night during the 12 hours until harvest?

No, but there's really no point in doing so unless you're seriously shorting your flowering plants on light. Think about it... Which set of plants do you think requires more light, lol, seedlings or ones that are in late flower that are (presumably) either in the process of putting on that final bit of weight or just about to?

I was under the impression a seedling needed less light then the plant in flower. The flower light is on a 12-12 cycle at night, just wanted to give it window sil light in the day and throw it in the tent at night under good light.

I was under the impression a seedling needed less light then the plant in flower. The flower light is on a 12-12 cycle at night, just wanted to give it window sil light in the day and throw it in the tent at night under good light.
Yes, they can get by with less light while they are seedlings. By the time they have the second set of true leaves they are not really seedlings anymore. They are young small plants past the seedling state.

My thinking is that unless your window is large, a double or triple size the plants on the window sill will not be getting as much true sunlight as many of us might have thought at one time. That window has to be facing south (here in North America) to take advantage of every possible bit of sunlight. There cannot be any trees or shrubs or other buildings blocking the light during the day. I have grown plants of many types in windows facing every direction of the compass but nothing, absolutely nothing, beats the natural light that hits the plants. No window panes, no plastic sheets, no shadows, nothing that gets in the way.

It can be done. People have grown photo period and auto period under medium base (household screw in bulb) CFL bulbs and LEDs with success. But, it takes time and the results are almost always less than what they would have gotten with larger more intense lighting or growing outside.

If it was me, I would put the plants in the flower room and just turn the lights on for 14 or more hours in a 24 hour day. Then once they start to flower the lights could be dropped down to a 12 hour cycle if desired.

It is an interesting scenario, none the less.

Cant that mess up the 12-12 light cycle the flowering plant is on? Just to be clear the window gets about 5-6 hours of light.I was thinking that 12 in the flower room and the 6 would equal 18 hours. Just wanted to know if it would do ok for a week or two til the flowering plant is chopped down. Not sure how else to explain it any more clear. thanks for the input.

I know exactly what your sayin.
I put my auto plant "seedling" in the window all damm day, then at night under my leds for 12/12. In the morning I put it back in the window till night. Did this for 2 weeks. It was fine.

So yes, auto window plant my day, in tent at night during 12/12 while your other plant is finishing up.

I know exactly what your sayin.
I put my auto plant "seedling" in the window all damm day, then at night under my leds for 12/12. In the morning I put it back in the window till night. Did this for 2 weeks. It was fine.

So yes, auto window plant my day, in tent at night during 12/12 while your other plant is finishing up.
lol ok so you understand thank you. I thought it might be fine but didn't want to waste my seeds. I will only be doing this with the one because i am going to be starting autos. Just wasn't sure about the changing spectrum of light like that, take care. :)

Are you talking about putting the auto flowering plant or plants on the window sill after you have sprouted them? If so, then it should not matter. They will continue to flower no matter how long the lights are on.

Or, are you mentioning the already flowering photo period plant that you have under lights now? If it is that plant, then yes, the general consensus is that it could cause a photo period plant to try to go back into a vegetative state.

These autos should be fine don't worry. I m currently growing 3 autos started inside then moved outdoor after 2 weeks from sprout. With only 8 hours of direct sunlight they are my best plants so far! Only 8 hours . One of them is amnesia XXL auto with the biggest buds I could grow so far with many tries of different light schedule. They made me feel like the statement about 20/4 being perfect for autos may depends a lot on different factors. Fabric pot + coco or hydro are the best for roots so for fast growing (compared to soil). I tested both and will never come back to soil again. Things happen way too slowly and considering the short lifetime of an auto IMO soil is not the best choice to get the best out of them in terms of growth. Just ensure when they get the 12 hours of lights they get it well and they should be more than OK. Be careful not to shock them when you move them and they should be more than OK.

lol ok so you understand thank you. I thought it might be fine but didn't want to waste my seeds. I will only be doing this with the one because i am going to be starting autos. Just wasn't sure about the changing spectrum of light like that, take care. :)

I also have a spare 100 watts led light to start my seedling and handle them for 2 weeks before harvesting the previous grow. It allows to gain some good time

These autos should be fine don't worry. I m currently growing 3 autos started inside then moved outdoor after 2 weeks from sprout. With only 8 hours of direct sunlight they are my best plants so far! Only 8 hours . One of them is amnesia XXL auto with the biggest buds I could grow so far with many tries of different light schedule. They made me feel like the statement about 20/4 being perfect for autos may depends a lot on different factors. Fabric pot + coco or hydro are the best for roots so for fast growing (compared to soil). I tested both and will never come back to soil again. Things happen way too slowly and considering the short lifetime of an auto IMO soil is not the best choice to get the best out of them in terms of growth. Just ensure when they get the 12 hours of lights they get it well and they should be more than OK. Be careful not to shock them when you move them and they should be more than OK.
haha ok cool, I will try and see how it goes.

I believe the OP is saying he already has some photoperiod plants in flower in the tent under 12/12 lighting. But also wants to start a new auto seed. So starting seed in window during day and in tent at night when lights come on. In order to get the auto seedling to gain extra hours of lighting only untill the harvest of the photoperiod plants.

I also have a spare 100 watts led light to start my seedling and handle them for 2 weeks before harvesting the previous grow. It allows to gain some good time
Nice my project on the go is a space bucket. I have a 100 w led for that just need some more materials. I will need it in the winter probably. I am using it in the flower tent along with a 600w led.

I was under the impression a seedling needed less light then the plant in flower.

Exactly. So... Why is it that you think the light in your flowering room is insufficient for some newborn seedlings :hmmmm:?

Sorry about the confusion.

I believe the OP is saying he already has some photoperiod plants in flower in the tent under 12/12 lighting. But also wants to start a new auto seed. So starting seed in window during day and in tent at night when lights come on. In order to get the auto seedling to gain extra hours of lighting only untill the harvest of the photoperiod plants.
I read it as he had a photo period plant in the tent. He wanted to start some auto periods seeds. Then he was going to move it to the window sill and I figured that there was only one photo in the tent and a bunch of seedlings on the way.

Back
Top Bottom