Automotive Radiator Aluminium/Brass-Copper

Chuckle

420 Member
I've recently changed my system from a simple recirculating system to a DWC system. I've just gone through my first summer and had basically a disaster with heat (air and water). We can get weeks of 40+ degree heat (not sure on F but over 100F). Pumping more air through is easy but I'm finding water temp control to be a little more difficult.

There is alot of stuff for DIY coolers and chillers. Its all good but I was considering mounting externally an automotive radiator with a thermo fan or 2 on it.

My question really is that most of the cheaper radiators are made of aluminum and I'm curious if anyone knows if this is a safe to use with plants? If it is even an issue to be thinking of?
My other option is a more expensive Brass-Copper radiator but the same question remains on what is safe or better to use?

Maybe just using an aquarium chiller is best though I'm really trying to watch my power draw?
Any advice on extreme heat control (water) is appreciated :)

BTW frozen ice bottles is not an option as I work nights and sleep during most of the day. I have solar panels so lighting up at night is not a sensible option for me. Getting up during the day to reliably put ice bottles in is not really something that is going to reliably happen.

one last quick Q, Has anyone any experience in making a DIY chiller like this
and can provide any feedback on how well it works?

tia Chuckles :)

Maybe try an auxiliary transmission/oil cooler from oreilly, same thing but smaller and cheaper...they also have aux trans/oil coolers on amazon w fans mounted on them.

i would think a cheap universal trans/oil cooler put inline and placed in a good quality cooler full of ice would act as a chiller for a couple days, but i could be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom