Autos Under A Mars Hydro FC 4800: Soilless & FN Fertilizer, By Farside05

My new equipment arrived today! It's like Christmas for stoners. For those that worry about packaging,. The @Mars Hydro equipment comes in non-descript boxes that don't tip off the contents.

The tent

The FC 4800

Unboxing the FC 4800

Holy shit this thing is big. Is it going to fit in the 39 x 39?

The 39 x 39 set up waiting for the giant ass light.

This is the nicest quality tent I've had. The overlap around the zippers is substantial. Nice thick canvas. The Mars name is almost like a hologram, stamped in the diamond mylar.

Any time your changing equipment, you wonder if it's worth it. My goal was to get more even light across my canopy. With my other two lights, I get significantly higher readings in the center of the tent and it drops drastically in the corners, as much as a 50% reduction. I broke out the lux meter and checked 9 different spots around the tent, less than a 10% difference! 55k lux in the center and 51k, lux dead in the corner. If I can get dense bud throughout the entire tent, this light will definitely be worth it. @Mars Hydro, you got my attention. So far it's living up to the claim "FC4800 utilizes a uniform photon distribution to acquire an even PPID and optimal PPF across the plant canopy."

In for the bloom nutes... :ciao:

And man is that tent lit up!

LOL

I was in the front when the son unexpectedly plugged her up. I went Ray Charles for a minute. At least give me a chance to put on the Ray Bans boy!

Whoa. Amazing work man. Does Original Glue always form buds like this? Shape wise I mean, and the way they fill in so far top to bottom? What breeder are these from?

Whoa. Amazing work man. Does Original Glue always form buds like this? Shape wise I mean, and the way they fill in so far top to bottom? What breeder are these from?

At least the Original Glue autos from Nirvana all seem to grow this way. They also seem to require minimal training. Mainly just have to top them around node 5 or 6. Currently, Nirvana doesn't even have these on their site. Hope they bring them back since it's been a stable stain and the high is damn fine too, although not as long lasting as some other strains.

I wanted to copy some of this info from my last thread over to this one. It was buried some 144 pages in and I want an easier place to find it.

For anyone not familiar, I make my own fertilizer from a bunch of raw salts. I formulated my blend specifically for soilless growing, with tap water that is in the range of 75-150 ppm. I call it Farside Nutrients Fertilizer, or FN Fertilizer© as a bit of a goof. There are four products the make up the complete system, FN Silica©, FN Micros©, FN Part A©, and FN Part B©. Below is a table showing how much of each salt is required to make a gallon of concentrated fertilizer. Included is a cost analysis showing where I bought the salts and how many gallons of concentrate the bag of salts will make. Overall, it costs me about $32 to make a batch (a gallon of each product).

So how do you make FN Part A©

Measure out 189.3g Potassium Nitrate
PXL_20220106_172509654.jpg

PXL_20220106_172509654.jpg

Measure out 189.3g Ammonium Calcium Nitrate
PXL_20220106_172208181.jpg

PXL_20220106_172208181.jpg

Measure out 378.5g Magnesium Nitrate
PXL_20220106_172830108.jpg

PXL_20220106_172830108.jpg

Add all 3 to a pot, add 1 gal distilled water. Heat and stir until dissolved. Wait for it to cool and transfer back into the gallon container. You'll have a bit more than a gallons worth. The extra I'll pour into my smaller containers for feeding then top those off with the gallon.

*Part A is the hardest to dissolve and I think it has to do with my Ammonium Calcium Nitrate. I think the prills have a slight plastic coating that likes to cling to the edge of the pot. Eventually it all dissolves with enough heat and stirring. A different brand may not have this issue.

Lastly today we'll make some FN Silica©. I won't be making FN Micros© today since I still have about 1/3 gallons left. While the others you can make in quarts like I had previously, you have to make Micros by the gallon. Why? The amount used of some of the chelated metals are so minute, even in a gallon, my scale couldn't come close to measuring it since the lowest it goes is one tenth of a gram.

I measure out 280g of AgSil 16h (Potassium Silicate).
PXL_20220106_192752396.jpg

PXL_20220106_192752396.jpg

Here's where its a bit different. Empty your distilled water into the pot 1st and heat it some. Now slowly sprinkle in your powder while stirring.
PXL_20220106_193903737.MP.jpg

PXL_20220106_193903737.MP.jpg

Why the change? If you put the powder in 1st and then add the water, the powder turns into a clumpy gelatinized goo. It will eventually all dissolve with heat, stirring, and breaking up clumps, but this way saves you that headache. How do I know? I've done it the powder then water way before, and it sucks.

I might have to make some FN Micros© in a month and a half since they are out of sync, but the batches today should last me a good 3 months.
PXL_20220106_200756922.jpg

PXL_20220106_200756922.jpg

Hope you've enjoyed today's FN© Tutorials.

I was going to make a batch of FN Micros© today and do the tutorial for it. Then I realized I never bought the Muriate of Potash. I tried to, but the store was sold out and I never went back or went to a different location. So my dumb ass drives up to the store today forgetting it's Easter Sunday. Doh! That was a waste of 40 minutes and probably $6 worth of gas.

When I got my shipment of all the chelated elements, I never really checked the package contents. Turns out they threw in a 1lb bag of 11-11-40 Pepper and Herb Fertilizer (contains all the micros too). It has no Calcium, Magnesium, or Sulfur, and too little N, but you could add some Calcium Nitrate and Epsom Salts and be in business.

Thanks for all that farside! How much does it cost to make a gallon of flower strength nutes for the missiles you're growing?

Ironically, the same as it does for a gallon of full strength vegging nutes. lol. A gallon of full strength feed, containing all 4 parts, is 8.46 cents.

Forgot to mention...Saturday night, after 8 hours redoing the tents, I ended up buying a new fan and filter combo from @Mars Hydro . Figured I came this far, why not go the rest of the way.

The Original Glues we're wilted when I checked them this evening. Didn't have time for a full watering so they all got a "tide em over" gallon until I can get to them in the AM.

Looked at new digital scales on Amazon that go out to more than .1 g. Problem is, the ones that go out to .001 g have a max weight capacity of 50 g. My current one can weigh up to 1000 g. Since I need something that can weigh up to 400 g when making FN Fertilizer©, I decided not to buy another scale.

I was in the front when the son unexpectedly plugged her up. I went Ray Charles for a minute. At least give me a chance to put on the Ray Bans boy!
Ha! I plugged my Nextlight 420h in in the living room when I first got it, (aimed right at the wife) almost blew Mrs.C. right off the couch! (not really, but it was sure bright- I'll hear about that one for years to come:oops:)
Hope you've enjoyed today's FN© Tutorials
I have enjoyed them- Thank You!
And Thanks for the tag!

I have enjoyed them- Thank You!
And Thanks for the tag!

Glad to see you could make it. I hope to acquire the missing component for the FN Micros© tomorrow AM. Maybe I'll get that tutorial done then too. I have to make a run to the dump to rid myself of junk that was in the lab plus feed 8 hungry ladies. Finally convinced myself to throw out the bottles of pH Up and pH Down that haven't been used in years. Also have a jug of Roots XS and Terpinator that were taking up real estate. Depends on how much stamina I have after that after working a shift on 3rds on if I decide to make Micros.

Yeah, I've got about 5 gallons of Terpinator that I've got to do something with... I've used 10ml of it in 3 years, so I don't think I'll miss it much when it's gone...

Yeah, I've got about 5 gallons of Terpinator that I've got to do something with... I've used 10ml of it in 3 years, so I don't think I'll miss it much when it's gone...

I gave away 2.5 gal of Terpinator and 2 Remo Supercharged kits to a new grower a year or so ago. Still had this 2.5 gallon container that I opened and used maybe 40 ml of. Probably used about 40 ml of the Roots XS too. Gave away the last of my Mega Crop too, probably less than 200 g. I've still got some Jack's 15-5-20 and some MSU fertilizer. Other than that, I'm all in on salts and making my own.

Back
Top Bottom