AVB Tincture? Waste of time

BAM55448

So, I started Vaping my herbs with a Fenix Pro set to 180c. I was keeping it in a Mason jar I had about 30g in there, I was at the head shop and talking to the guy about Decarboxylation. I am having a few problems and will be getting the nova in Dec. He told me basically I am decarbing in my Fenix so 1/10g at a time So I am still filling it up, but a couple of weeks ago I filled it up with 96.4% alcohol for Tinctures. I will leave it until around Christmas I suppose. Everywhere is very vague about how long to soak. Most places say “a few weeks” the dazed and infused lady says “ the best Tincture I ever had was a year soaking”. I will try this when I get the Nova, I will mix one up and label it and forget it. I will “cook” it down then I filter it in Dec it it looks mighty green. I have a bowl that I put my AVB in after I am done. Every day or two I open it up dump it in and shake the hell out of it. What say you guys?

6A638E8D-40E5-4E85-B20C-A833655AF784.jpeg

4638487D-0AC1-4986-91B9-D89CAC242385.jpeg

041F1D87-9985-4DB4-B0F5-D680BC99F1A7.jpeg

I'm doing a natural decarb-water cured flower in ever clear 190 proof
It will take 4 months, I'm A little over a month in
IMG_20201123_150727.jpg

I also wanted to do an ethanol wash on vaped flower
IMG_20201123_142137.jpg

My plan is to put both the etoh and vaped flower in the freezer for 24 hours and do a cold ethanol extraction
Cover vape in cold etoh shake 5 minutes back in the freezer for 2 hours and then another 5 minute shake
This is a cold ethanol extraction from psychedelic Sam that I use on regular oven decarbed flower

My understanding is that the etoh extraction is quick and the longer you leave it the more undesirables are pulled out
Filter immediately after second shake, contemplate a second wash/rinse and wonder what I have
Then use it to practice filtering with A buchner funnel and celite 545 and activated charcoal to clean it up a little
I'm brand new to this and trying to catch up, but folks move fast!

so I heard of decamping with a long soak. I tried it last night. 8ml was the Dose does not seem rite to me. I probably got 35-40g in there. I will wait until around Christmas and than cook it down a touch.

I'm not sure leaving the vape in the alcohol is doing anything
I would filter and reduce in a double boiler set up
Still unsure of what you get, maybe cbn/cbd

I'm not sure leaving the vape in the alcohol is doing anything
I would filter and reduce in a double boiler set up
Still unsure of what you get, maybe cbn/cbd
Thanks for the comment. I am going to do that this I just want it sit a bit longer. I will cook it down soon, I tried it tonight 8ml I’m not sure what I got either. I will say it is defiantly something!

Cooking it down now I filtered it twice but only the first filter was “dirty” I am using the double boiler technique to build it down it is working well I went from 8oz to 6oz in 1 hour. So it seems to be working well and not fluctuating in temperature, I got the stove on 3 and it is not going above 70c.

2D0AB538-2E3C-4D43-8D45-64D1B8460EAE.jpeg

49FC4FFA-2CC4-49A8-9BA3-A4DC64733029.jpeg

FED3179F-AE00-490B-9A13-55A456B9FB81.jpeg

You're vaping at 180C, so there is no reason for further decarb. What would help is higher proof ETOH to completely strip any remaining trichomes. Here's a tinc tip. Use the freezer method and double bag your ABV in rosin press bags to contain and filter.

DSCN0859 (2).JPG

DSCN0860.JPG

DSCN0861.JPG

DSCN0872 (2).JPG

I have to try those filter bags, I use a stainless steel filter in a ceramic dripper
IMG_20201110_220337.jpg
IMG_20201110_220329.jpg
IMG_20201110_220318.jpg
IMG_20201110_124018.jpg

Here is my filter set up and my " double boiler" set up, A trivet at the bottom of a small pot works well for my reductions
Those filter bags are a great idea skirk, thanks for all the info you folks provide to this newbie

How many grams can you squeeze into a filter, I work in 14 and 28 gram amounts?

I have to try those filter bags, I use a stainless steel filter in a ceramic dripper
IMG_20201110_220337.jpg
IMG_20201110_220329.jpg
IMG_20201110_220318.jpg
IMG_20201110_124018.jpg

Here is my filter set up and my " double boiler" set up, A trivet at the bottom of a small pot works well for my reductions
Those filter bags are a great idea skirk, thanks for all the info you folks provide to this newbie

How many grams can you squeeze into a filter, I work in 14 and 28 gram amounts?

Those MaxLooms (no longer in business) are 1.75" x 4.5" and easily hold 12-15 grams. I soak in 8oz. Everclear, use a Source Turbo to reduce to 4oz. and reclaim. Cost effective because I make a lot of tincture.

Get denatured from shopBVV. I only soak in frozen alcohol in the freezer for a few hours. Then I filter, and distill off the alcohol with a stove top still. I get about 60% of the alcohol back for reuse. I decarb the thick extract @220F in the oven. It is done decarbing when it stops frothing.

What exactly is being extracted from the vape.
Ill run it through a buchner after the filter through the stainless steel
A little obsessed with filtering right now, looking at celite 545 and carbon powder
Just started looking at PES filtering

Looked at the extract craft for etoh reclaim but decided on a chemistry and organic chemistry refresher and a possible rotovap
Nice 2L set up for 1500-2000 are available on amazon

heya friends,,

ya know,, i don't know if i read anywhere what y'all are doing with your tinctures. i can make assumptions for sure,, but would rather know for sure

i have been using my avb from my volcano for a cpl years now to make tinctures. my situation a bit dif cuz i cannot get grain alcohol here in canada,, or perhaps just in my province,, no extra strong alcohol that i know of

so i make my tincture with iso alcohol,, and no, silly, i don't drink it.

because i use iso i make my tincture as a external rub, for sore body parts. it works oh so well. but that is another story,, i know yours is for internal use

tho we have different goals, the procedure is the same for both,, so i wanted to mention a cpl things i have learned along the way,, rightly or wrongly

the extraction process happens very fast,, my research said a very few minutes,

i know myself i vape my bud quite well,, i even crush it in my palm and vape it one more time, so i know there is not much goodness left in there,, certainly no trichomes or similar,,

the oils inside the material is about all that;s left,, and the alcohol gets it all

even with iso i can reduce this stuff to simpsons oil. i have and it is disgusting,, but still cannabis oil,, every bit of it

i also make an internal tincture with vodka,, not strong at all but can be used for oral maintenance or whatever,, this does not extract near enuf oils or anything in my opinion,, but i swear this has actually fot off a abscess tooth

me and the missus use the volcano a lot and i just cant throw the avb away without some attempt at reclamation

cheers friends,,

So... whatever I got here tastes very strong. I was at 300ml all filtered and now I am just under 100ml boiled down. The alcohol I am using is 96%, that helps I am sure, but it still took hours to cook down. I did not raise the temperature above 70c it was around 68 / 69c for 4 1/2 hours in the double boiler shown above.
my dose is 3ml with a strong soothing effect.

When doing my reductions I add a fan and cover the top of the beaker with a mesh strainer or gauze to keep out debris
You have to monitor it closely because the bigger the fan the faster the reduction

So there is something in there, I made an infused honey with some vape a while back, it looked and tasted like roofing tar
I had consumed too many edibles at the time to give an honest opinion on the honey's potency

Back
Top Bottom