baby needs help! purple stalk and bending

nadvida2007

It has been almost 7 days since i first planted the seeds. I can now see the first set of leaves fully and the second set of leaves are starting to develop on some of my plants. From what i read, it seems like my plants are growing too slow and some of the main stalks are weaving and waving and look like they are bout to tumble but they are still being held up somehow. Some of them also have purple stalks whereas others are green. Can anyone tell me what is going on with my baby plants?
I'm using "Perfect Mix" all purpose plotting soils in a small 2 inch cup as starter. I water them whwnever the soil feels dry. They areabout 3 inches tall and i have them under constant "Daylight" Flo lamps at a constant temperature of about 72-75. :cool: :smokin3:

Sounds like they're stretching for light. Purple stalks in seedlings is normal, and nothing to worry about. Do you have a fan blowing on them to help strengthen the stalk? if no, then you need to get one as soon as you are able.

Seedlings don't need to be watered very much - if you've done it more than once in 7 days you've really been giving them too much.

Back off a bit on the water, put them closer to the lights, and put a fan on them. Should see some improvement pretty quickly...

Peace
MC

Yup, ^^ exactly.

What wattage is the light? It sounds like they are growing pretty damn well for being 1 week old. If you ask me they are growing too fast!! Just sounds like the light was maybe to far away?

Good luck!

MC said:
Seedlings don't need to be watered very much - if you've done it more than once in 7 days you've really been giving them too much.
I agree 100% that seedlings don't need a lot of water. But...how often to water really depends on so many variables that it's not realistic to put a time limit on how often one should do it. If the seedling is in a 1inch rockwool cube you would have to water daily or risk the cube drying up. In a 5 gallon container and you might not need to water for 2 weeks. A 2" cup holds very little medium and wouldn't make it 7 days between waterings IMO. Especially once a fan is introduced and the wind evaporates the moisture out faster.

^^ True enough Racefan - with a fan on them a 2" cup would dry out every 2-3 days. Without one, and using a peat-based medium, watering 1 time in 7 days should be enough for a seedling unless the temps are above 90 degrees and low low humidity.

My experience anyway... your mileage may vary...

Peace
MC

Back
Top Bottom