Back To The Old School? An Outdoor Grow Of Selected Haze Hybrids & Thoughts On Back-Crossing With Original Genetics

Emeraldo

This year I'd like to grow a variety of haze hybrids and explore back-crossing possibilities with 420 enthusiasts curious about the old school haze genetics and what makes a haze a haze. The "hazes" I've selected run from one 45%/55% indica/sativa hybrid on down to one 100% pure sativa haze. I'd also like to get more first-hand experience growing some of the non-haze strains that have been game-changers when crossed with haze: Shiva Skunk, Northern Lights, and Master Kush. Please join me on my learning curve here in the Old School, all noobs and pros are welcome!

After 4 weeks, the seedlings seem about to push into vigorous growth. I had a setback from overwatering, which was for me a new experience.

In the past 7 years or so, since I used the mesh cylinders for seedlings (it's impossible to overwater in those things), I haven't experienced the doldrums of overwatering! This year there were too many plants and I didn't have time to make 35 mesh cylinders, and I used a 50/50 mix of perlite and germination soil instead. The plastic cups have drainage on the bottom, but do not "breathing" holes in the sides. So I forgot how easy it is to overwater!

My 4 Super Malawi Haze fared the worst from overwatering, but three recovered. Going into veg now, below are 4 Malawi, 3 Super Malawi Haze, 4 Purple Haze x Malawi.

Malawi

Super Malawi Haze

Purple Haze x Malawi

Greetings 420 members! Welcome to my 2022 grow journal, which I hope will interest you and is now finally underway. Thank you, 420magazine, for hosting and allowing journals on non-sponsoring breeders' plants. I did order my beans from a 420magazine sponsor, fwiw.

In a few days I will also post photos of the other kids on the block. This grow includes 7 "haze" strains of varying genetics, only one of which I've grown before, plus Shiva Skunk. I researched the strains for my own education, so if my ramblings don't keep you riveted to your chair, or if it's just old hat for you, just scroll down to the next photo, which will be posted in due time. I'll start with the three ACE strains in the photos posted yesterday.

ACE's Malawi aka "Malawi Killer" is a 100% sativa landrace from Africa. There are reportedly several phenos in the ACE release, the most common having woody, oily, rotten-smelling terpenes, and also a "fast & fruity" pheno with a sweet floral, vanilla-cream bouquet. The wood-oil-rot pheno is said to produce the most devastating psychoactive effects, long-lasting and mind-blowing, coming with a warning for the inexperienced user. It also needs longer to finish than "fast & fruity", which is less devastating but said to be very good anyway. So, win-win.

Ready soonest late October north of the equator, my Malawi will likely finish before the two "Malawi" crosses -- Super Malawi Haze (SMH) and Purple Haze x Malawi (PHxM) -- which I am including for comparison with the straight Malawi. SMH and PHxM are also ACE releases, and will go into late November and December, respectively. Grown at 46-47 N, all 3 strains will be finished in a heated greenhouse, without which the latter two would likely not have much chance of finishing properly, given the cold climate, wind, rain and snow that late November can bring.

PHxM is the strain that first attracted my attention. And lately things don't seem the same. The idea to grow out Malawi alongside PHxM in one comparative grow (sub-grow) came later, after SMH was included. Not knowing any of these related strains, I hope to identify the differing terpenes, traits and expressions among their Malawi and non-Malawi genetics.

PHxM is reported to be a more uniform strain, with one unique phenotypical expression and less variation than SMH or Malawi Killer. A cross of Oldtimer's Haze (purple pheno) x Malawi, PHxM is the longest flowering strain in the grow.

SMH is described as a polyhybrid, a cross of Malawi x Nevil's Haze, and expresses itself in several different phenos: a Malawi pheno, a Nevil's Haze pheno, and a rare pure haze pheno. The small % of indica genetics from Nevil's Haze makes for a hungrier faster flowering than PHxM.

Dubi writes: "While both Super Malawi Haze and Purple Haze x Malawi offer the most cerebral, energetic and least narcotic effects within the Haze/Malawi genotypes, Purple Haze x Malawi is a true F1 hybrid and therefore is much more uniform, producing a unique main phenotype, with much wilder and tropical behaviour, but with Super Malawi Haze, while still retaining that pure sativa personality, we have focused on producing a much more powerful, tamed and productive hybrid, more resinous, with higher THC and terpene levels, better adaptability to indoor cultivation and with a shorter flowering time than Purple Haze x Malawi. Although, because Super Malawi Haze is a polyhybrid, it is more variable, and we can find 3 main phenotypes...".

Cheers all, enjoy your gardening

Emeraldo

:yahoo:

NL#5xHaze was bred to grow well in cold climates, so I am hopeful this one will give its full potential even if none of the other strains in this grow finished well. Flowering for 9-16 weeks, depending on pheno, I would harvest probably in November or early December. Here are my 5-week old seedlings of Mr Nice NL#5xHaze. Grown in a 50/50 mix of perlite and nutrient-free seedling soil, they've recently been signalling a need for nitrogen.

NL#5xHaze genetics are 50% Afghani, 50% Haze (or "Original Haze"). The genealogy of NL#5xHaze below also contains the supposed genetic background of haze as a "super sativa", a cross of tropical sativa landraces from Mexico, Colombia, Thailand and India.

As with the many, even hundreds of "haze hybrids" available today, the two-fold psychoactive effect of NL#5xHaze couples a relaxing body stone with a cerebral head high. NL#5xHaze was developed in the 1980s (before indoor growing was widespread) to give pot growers in Europe north of the Alps (in Holland and other cooler climates) a "haze" that can finish outdoors in that climate. However, there are trade-offs, and it goes without saying that neither effect is as intense or spectacular as the original pure sativa or pure indica effect.

The downside risk is that pure tropical sativa landraces are not adequately preserved and/or are potentially lost in the genetic mix resulting from hybridisation. Cannabis preservationists warn that hybridisation has, over the last decades, become so common in the gene pool that pure original traits are diluted. By crossing sativa landraces again and again with indica genetics in an effort to produce earlier-flowering hybrids, and hybrid strains that can be cultivated in cooler non-tropical climates, pure sativa genetic variation, potency, and vigor are lost, potentially forever.

Michka regular (3) and Super Lemon Haze feminized (2). All 3 Michka are vigorous and healthy, a beautiful light green color. If one Michka is male, I would like to reproduce this strain as well as pollinate one of the SLH girls when and if they flower, as those are the last two of my SLH seeds from 2020. SLH is the only strain here that I've grown before, but in 2020 my SLH just exploded upward and was the tallest and fastest plant in the grow. The two little SLH this year have been slow and scrawny, but they continue to grow and their color is good. Hope springs eternal...

NL#5xHaze Phenos. I read somewhere that Mr Nice's NL#5xHaze (reg) would produce numerous and variegated phenotypes, and I think I have found at least three so far. In the top photo, the plant seemed almost sickly yellowish to me a few days ago, although the plant's shape and upward reach to the sun told me it is healthy and growing well. Apart from the lighter color, it looked pretty much just like the other three (see 2d photo below). So... not sick, after all? I decided, despite it's light-green look, to treat it as though it was normally healthy and responded with a topdressing of organic supersoil containing a good shot of Nitrogen. The added N did bring a greener hue to the leaves, but even with twice the amount of N as the other three NL#5xHaze, this one still has a much lighter green leaf color. I've noticed the leaves turn a bit greener, then fade again to a lighter color as in the photo. It may be that this plant is a particularly sativa-leaning pheno (the "haze" in NL#5xHaze), as sativas typically are lighter green than indica. The darker green plant directly below the light-green one is probably a more Afghani-influenced indica-leaner, and her leaves are deep green, a bit wider, and have a rougher, uneven surface texture that none of the others have. The other two (lower-middle and left below) are in between these two "extremes" and look much more "normal" in leaf shape and color.

Super Malawi Haze. All three of my SMH seedlings went all droopy from the overwatering episode, and are slower to recover and seem to go droopy again easily. They have been slow to move into veg. I have not given them a deep watering because of that, just drizzles around the edge of the pots. Am wondering if SMH is just generally sensitive to that and prone to droop. They do seem to be coming back, and the new top growth seems healthy, but they have yet to move into vigorous veg. More later.

I am still growing Golden Tiger I give her a couple more weeks hopefully.

I have been growing her since early December, but I did play with light manipulation with her.
If you grow her only veg her for about three weeks, because she can be over whelming if she is vegged to long.

Also, believe it or not she loves defoliation and can be very branchy.
Let me know when you start and I will follow along, and help if I can.

Just so you know ahead of time; she can be a difficult strain to grow.

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,
Tok..

I am still growing Golden Tiger I give her a couple more weeks hopefully.

I have been growing her since early December, but I did play with light manipulation with her.
If you grow her only veg her for about three weeks, because she can be over whelming if she is vegged to long.

Also, believe it or not she loves defoliation and can be very branchy.
Let me know when you start and I will follow along, and help if I can.

Just so you know ahead of time; she can be a difficult strain to grow.

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,
Tok..
I would like to grow Golden Tiger some day. I did consider Golden Tiger for this grow. GT would compare well to Malawi, PHxM, and SMH, bringing out the Thai side. I have different African-Thai "haze" growing now, it's just not an ACE strain. It's Durban x Thai Highflyer, breeder is Fleur du Mal. I haven't posted about them yet, they are still quite small, only 3 weeks old.

Thanks, E

Fleur du Mal.
I have heard that name in a while.
Some of the UK growers I know use this seed company and from my understanding, is they have very good genetics.

Is this it?

About Durban-Thai Highflyer

A legendary 1991 Durban-Thai cross by Super Sativa Seed Club, bred with the original pre-2000 Cinderella 99 by Soul.
We crossed a selected male to a beautiful 1999 Thaitannic mother by Flying Dutchman to lock down the soaring sativa head and tropical terp profiles. The Durban and Cindy heritages keeps it sane, short and productive indoors or out.
For serious sativa lovers, a manageable indoor sativa hybrid with the psychedelic head of outdoor tropical sativas.

Sativa/Indica mix: 80/20
Lineage: (Durban X Thai) x C99) x Thaitannic
Maturation period: 8 weeks

I have heard that name in a while.
Some of the UK growers I know use this seed company and from my understanding, is they have very good genetics.

Is this it?

About Durban-Thai Highflyer

A legendary 1991 Durban-Thai cross by Super Sativa Seed Club, bred with the original pre-2000 Cinderella 99 by Soul.
We crossed a selected male to a beautiful 1999 Thaitannic mother by Flying Dutchman to lock down the soaring sativa head and tropical terp profiles. The Durban and Cindy heritages keeps it sane, short and productive indoors or out.
For serious sativa lovers, a manageable indoor sativa hybrid with the psychedelic head of outdoor tropical sativas.

Sativa/Indica mix: 80/20
Lineage: (Durban X Thai) x C99) x Thaitannic
Maturation period: 8 weeks
Yes, that's the one.

My guess (from reading up a bit) was the original Durban-Thai cross didn't stabilise as well as desired. C99, being 50% Jack Herer, would inherit at least 20% stable indica genetics. We don't know C99's father's ID, but a cross with Jack might well have been done to shorten the long Thai and Durban finishing times and to help make her grow-able north of the Alps. The final back-cross to Thai-tanic ought to re-emphasize the Thai background.

Here's a photo of a seedling DTHF. No, that's not a mirror image, it's two plants. The photo looks paler than they actually do, there's a good shot of green in them to my eye. But hazey looking already! (Or was that just my imagination, running away with me?)

I've never grown a Thai sativa before, so am on a steep learning curve here in the Old School. Ha ha. Anyway, was wondering if the very light green color (with a dash of creamy yellow) of my three DTHF (above) is actually a normal healthy color for a Thai strain or hybrid with Thai genetics. So I looked for photos on the web and I found the below photo on Canna Connection. This is a photo of Thai landrace, and the color is almost identical to my DTHF. So, no worries about the health of my DTHF plants, at least for now. I guess.
:green_heart:

I've never grown a Thai sativa before, so am on a steep learning curve here in the Old School. Ha ha. Anyway, was wondering if the very light green color (with a dash of creamy yellow) of my three DTHF (above) is actually a normal healthy color for a Thai strain or hybrid with Thai genetics. So I looked for photos on the web and I found the below photo on Canna Connection. This is a photo of Thai landrace, and the color is almost identical to my DTHF. So, no worries about the health of my DTHF plants, at least for now. I guess.
:green_heart:

I grew a Strawberry Cough a couple of years ago which was said to be 80% sativa and also looked very much like your Thai sativa, very pale colour. I chose to give it a feed which didn't help and only gave her a bit of leaf tip burn. Once she got full sized, her colour changed to a normal shade of green which left me somewhat mystified.

Back
Top Bottom