Bad Fan? Or Bad Filter?

Ghostfadekillah

420 Member
I bought a cheap tent/fan/filter combo of amazon. I’ve replaced everything it came with except the fan/filter. The filter is leas than 2 weeks old. I took it apart and the fan has suction and plenty of exhaust without the filter. When I attach the filter back to the fan is has hardly any exhaust. I’m gonna start with trying a new quality filter. I just wonder what caused the filter to die out so fast? I have a humidifier in a 4x4 tent. Running a 315 LeC sunlight

The rh may have killed it. Around 70% humidity and they get clogged by absorbing too much moisture.
I try not to run my humidi when I'm in flower. That is the only time I run my carbon. I don't use it for veg. I store it away.

That and/or the fan and filter a different cfm rating as the old "you get what you pay for" saying applies and they didn't match them up or even close, as if the fan putting out more cfm than the filter can deal with it then it puts strain on both of them and neither works "correctly".

the old "you get what you pay for" saying applies

I can relate to this. I had to replace my fan as I bought a cheap one online that sounded like a jet engine when running.

I'm using the rhino hobby filters with great results

The rh may have killed it. Around 70% humidity and they get clogged by absorbing too much moisture.

That, plus many cheap exhaust fans are axial type - the wrong type of fan to begin with. The appropriate type of exhaust fan when there's a restriction (IOW, a carbon filter) in the air path is a centrifugal fan.

For identification purposes, those box-style fans that people stick in windows to move air into/through their houses in Summer are axial type. They're fine for moving air if there is no pressure involved. The fans used in forced-air furnaces and central / whole house air conditioners, such as Dayton blowers, are centrifugal type. They're also known as "squirrel cage" fans. They can work even when facing a restriction (up to a point, of course, lol). That's why you can find a 40-year old furnace that's being scrapped because of a major problem like a cracked heat exchanger, pull the fan - which might not have had any maintenance to speak of during its life - out of it, clean it, lubricate it... and get another decade or three of use out of the thing.

Best Uses of Centrifugal Fans

Any time you need to move air through ductwork, you will want to consider a centrifugal fan.

When ductwork is involved, the ducts increase pressure due to increased airflow resistance. To overcome this higher pressure, you need a fan that can produce high-pressure flow. You need a centrifugal fan.

Back
Top Bottom