Bag seeds a waste of time

vintner

Just a thought for all you out there who are considering growing w/seeds you gleaned out of a bag. Especially if you don't know the grower. I tried to germ 6 bag seeds this week, and not one of them has even cracked open after nearly 5 days between wet paper towels. I did get the seeds pretty warm for a few hours once, but I dought it was hot enough to cook them. They never got too hot to handel. It's my opinion that most commercial weed is probably treated in one of several ways to steralize the seeds. Commercial growers probably do all they can to make sure we keep buying weed from them instead of growing it ourselves. (OK, call me a conspiracy theorist.) They can subject the seeds to very high heat during curring (most southern growers do this by cutting the entire plants and stacking them in huge piles in the sun, cellular decomposition creats huge amounts of heat). They can also nuke, or even irradiate them. All of these will destroy the seeds. Take my advice, spend a little money for some good quality seeds. Thats what I'm going to do first thing in the morning. LowRyders for me.:headbanger:
Vin

You are certainly right. Even the normal curring process will make fertile seeds sometimes un-growable. Five days is long enough to wait and if they have not germed by the 6th day I would say they are no good. Also, the seeds that you get from a bag, because they have been put through undo stress, will never produce as stong a plant as seeds that were harvested for the purpose of growing.

I've had seeds take over a week to germinate a couple times. Give it some time. Most likely you're right and they are dead seeds but, I still say give them a chance. Try maybe taking a little sand paper to the seeds. As long as you don't wear all the way through the shell you won't damage the seeds and you will weaken the shell making it easier for it to absorb water and eventually pop.

Yeah, all true. I'm on my first grow and I had about 15 baggie weed seeds germinate, but one by one, all but three died. As of now, 1 month later, I have three plants growing, and they're all stunted. Four inches tall and scraggly lookin things, mostly due to bad growing methods by me. I thought I was doin OK for just tossing them into some soil, but damn, some people's grow is unreal on these forums. So anyway, point is I just spent some good money for the good seeds to perfect my grow in the next try. Any advice on how I can save these three plants? Are they even salvageable at this point?

stikeegrnlf said:
mostly due to bad growing methods by me. Any advice on how I can save these three plants? Are they even salvageable at this point?
I'm sure they're salvageable. Improve their growing conditions, and you should see a world of improvement. Lots of light. More light. Bigger pots. Even more light. Good quality soil. A little fertalizer. And of course more lights. LOL
Vin

alot of lights wont cure your problem if it gets too hot, now u guys have to realize one thing, 90% chance that the seeds you got the plants from were clones, that were cloned, because i would do the same thing, this will make a plant sterile as well, but also realize one thing guys, a plant can be asexual true, but a plant cannot fertalize itself all the way it can only produce a few seeds without the increased male pharmones i.e pollen. there are many factors that will stunt your plants, keeping them in a pot thats too small when the roots are trying to grow, this is how they make plugs in the horticulture industry. plugs, for those that are not up on horticulture, a plug is a clone that was left in a 2--4 inch pots by the wholesaler/grower, they make plugs so you can send them through the mail to retailers. heat will stunt your plants, not enough light will cause the plant to not make enough glucose to feed the plant. i started with 4 bag seed plants and not one died on me, in fact i kept one from certain death, now you are right by the generation lowering the thc count. and my plants are healthy as shit. they call the stacking of the plants, cooking, and yes its thermal, way to hot for seeds to maintain. if your weed was irradiated you will know.

Dankcloset: Most of what you wrote didn't make a whole lot of sence, and the parts about "plugs" and "lowering the thc count" don't even appear to be pertinent to the conversation.
I'm glad you had luck w/your bag seed, and in bringing your plant back from certain death. My original point still stands, I wont bother w/bag seed again unless I know the grower and how he cured/dryed his grow.
Vin

ok, lets put it like this. its like a dollar tree grab bag. you take a chance in getting crap and jipped but you could end up with some phenominal plants! i really much prefer bag seed. im cheap and flat broke. if i juss use bag seed then that is no skin off my back if they are duds but if you spend $10-$100 on seeds and they are duds or you kill them then that sucks! thats juss me. im not really having problems with mine so dont get discouraged. and besides, i dont trust buying shit online. well, hope this helps. take care.

We know Teg, You want to rub it in any harder? LOL Just kidding. I guess I was also a little pissed cause these were the only seeds I had, w/no prospects of getting more any time soon. I did break down order some lowryder seeds from seedbotique.com Hope they get here soon.
Vin

Hey all-
Yeah, you all make good points, but I gotta agree with partime- For my first grow I definitely ain't wastin perfectly good viable seeds from a seed bank, just to fuck'em up.
Vin-thanks for the advice, i'll keep you posted on how these plants turn out, and when I get my good seeds, i'll hopefully have better results.

Peace

stikeegrnlf said:
Vin-thanks for the advice, i'll keep you posted on how these plants turn out, and when I get my good seeds, i'll hopefully have better results.

Peace
Stikeetgrnlf: You're very welcome. Glad I could be of some help. I was serious about more lights, even though I was also being silly about it. More lights is never a bad thing as long as you have decent ventilation. Deffinately do keep us posted on how your grow is going. There are lots of helpful folks here, and even the vetrans love to check out new grow pics.
Vin

vintner said:
Just a thought for all you out there who are considering growing w/seeds you gleaned out of a bag. Especially if you don't know the grower. I tried to germ 6 bag seeds this week, and not one of them has even cracked open after nearly 5 days between wet paper towels. I did get the seeds pretty warm for a few hours once, but I dought it was hot enough to cook them. They never got too hot to handel. It's my opinion that most commercial weed is probably treated in one of several ways to steralize the seeds. Commercial growers probably do all they can to make sure we keep buying weed from them instead of growing it ourselves. (OK, call me a conspiracy theorist.) They can subject the seeds to very high heat during curring (most southern growers do this by cutting the entire plants and stacking them in huge piles in the sun, cellular decomposition creats huge amounts of heat). They can also nuke, or even irradiate them. All of these will destroy the seeds. Take my advice, spend a little money for some good quality seeds. Thats what I'm going to do first thing in the morning. LowRyders for me.:headbanger:
Vin
:hmmmm: I'm curious as to your germination and growing methods . Could you explain your choice in the bagseed selection you tried to grow ? How did you choose your seeds ? And would you please tell us some of your growing methods ? Maybe some of us experienced growers could tell you what you did wrong or right . I can tell from what I've read already that you probably don't even know how to germinate properly . Now I'm not trying to be mean , but your little speel about heat and radiation from growers sounds to me like an excuse for the failure . I personnally (sp) have never bought any seeds at all .........I've never had bad bud .......Even seeds from schwag can be grown very well ........ You only have to take care of it ........pay attention to it .........give it what it needs .....And give it in the right amounts , of what it needs ............And do you really think that a commercial grower would spend more money to irradiate seeds on females , that wasn't taken care of to begin with ? ?

Bag seed is not bad just f2 or higher so its growth is not as stimulated like the f1. I grew bag seed for two years and now I am doing f1 seeds just because I want to try different strains.

woah, whats all this about f1 and f2? can somebody explain please?

I got my seed's out of bag's and they seem to grow great. I got them out of good green bud so i hope they will be killer. I got 12 plant's goin good from bag seed.

i grew with baggie seeds and got some good ass weed of 1 plant about 2 onces of light green sweet smelling potent weed....just cause its baggie seeds dont mean it cant be better'd then what you got out of it...i made mine 5 times stronger.

Back
Top Bottom