BakedArea's 1st Grow! 2019 Outdoor/Greenhouse: StrawDiesel x Critical+

I haven't been able to find my magnifying glass. Going later today to pickup a loupe at the grow store. I looked under all the plants and I have not been able to see any bugs with the naked eye.

The plant that was showing the most signs of magnesium deficiency, will it have the brownish leaves the rest of the way through? Or do those recover and turn green again?

Also, the leaves seem a little crispy if that makes sense. Not so much that they will crumble in my hands but not luscious and soft. I hope I'm describing that well enough. Is this something to do with my watering cycle? I also, don't want to spray the leaves much. I imagine it will make things possibly more susceptible to mold (like tomato or squash plants).

I have seen some videos online of people spraying their plants with pressurized fine misting. Thoughts?

I haven't been able to find my magnifying glass. Going later today to pickup a loupe at the grow store. I looked under all the plants and I have not been able to see any bugs with the naked eye.

The plant that was showing the most signs of magnesium deficiency, will it have the brownish leaves the rest of the way through? Or do those recover and turn green again?

Also, the leaves seem a little crispy if that makes sense. Not so much that they will crumble in my hands but not luscious and soft. I hope I'm describing that well enough. Is this something to do with my watering cycle? I also, don't want to spray the leaves much. I imagine it will make things possibly more susceptible to mold (like tomato or squash plants).

I have seen some videos online of people spraying their plants with pressurized fine misting. Thoughts?
Once the leaves are burned, they will stay that way. But any new growth should look green and healthy.

Once the leaves are burned, they will stay that way. But any new growth should look green and healthy.
Looks like the plants have already reacted well with the CalMag treatment. Here are some quick pics. Thoughts?
15660661359324269481148561300029.jpg
15660661493825909350415180423295.jpg
15660659829641039308084599845762.jpg

check the underside of that splotch leaf very carefully under magnification... I am thinking its a bug.

I was not able to see any bugs. I got a new loupe in the mail today. I have seen whiteflies lately. I put up one of those yellow sticky traps and it has been working. They all got a neem oil treatment this afternoon. I hope that helps keep them away.

Here are a couple update pics. The big girl is looking great. At least I think so. The CalMag really helped a lot. I included a couple pics of early buds. Is she flowering or still just developing the buds? My light hours are upward of 16+ so they should still be in veg right?

I would like opinions on the last pics to confirm/determine sex. The one with a red circle appears female to me. Those are pistils right?! The other is not showing me any pistils unfortunately. We shall see.

Great looking plants, look at all that space!! Nice job @BakedARea !! Pulling up a chair for the duration!
Thanks! And thanks for joining me. Still learning and asking lots of questions. LOL

As for space...yeah, next year will be planned better for sure. Plus, I should have an indoor tent space figured out by winter. I would like to be able to grow throughout the year if possible. I am also thinking about trying to grow an outdoor in-ground monster in my backyard! We'll see though. That little greenhouse is mainly to hide them should my kids have some of their friends over. I would prefer they don't see them in the first place. Thankfully my neighbors mind their own business. I may chat with them in the future about it. Inside that greenhouse, I am thinking I should be able to fit a few more plants comfortably. I went with fabric pots that were too big right off the bat. I am thinking that 5 gallon containers should be plenty. 10 gallon are probably the largest I would want to go with at this point.

It's still a little too early to determine the sex right now. It kind of looks female, but you'll need a bit more time to know for sure. The pic with the red circle shows what might be a pistil and I don;t see any signs of pollen sacs forming. So cross your fingers and you'll know soon.

This little girl here is from an accidental bump when I was transplanting. Seems like so long ago. I snapped her clean off so I figured I would trim up the branch a little, add some cloning gel, and see what happens. Well, she never died and perked up in the propogater. I've had her in there for the past few weeks. Decided to pull her out today after a week of slowly opening the ports. So far so good it seems. After a few more days I'm going to put her into something larger. I was thinking at least 3 gallon. Too big?

20190822_162639.jpg
20190822_162654.jpg
20190822_162709.jpg

Thanks!

So I know many don't worry too much about pH with soil grows. I recently picked up a meter. Slowly building my arsenal of tools for my indoor setup! Anyway, did a 1 point and 2 point calibration to check the difference. Here are the results for my tap water 7.64 (1 point calibration) and 7.55 (2 point calibration). Water is running through an inline hose filter. Thoughts on this range please? Should I start adjusting this when doing my feedings and watering?

20190822_183556.jpg
20190822_184506.jpg

Thanks!

So I know many don't worry too much about pH with soil grows. I recently picked up a meter. Slowly building my arsenal of tools for my indoor setup! Anyway, did a 1 point and 2 point calibration to check the difference. Here are the results for my tap water 7.64 (1 point calibration) and 7.55 (2 point calibration). Water is running through an inline hose filter. Thoughts on this range please? Should I start adjusting this when doing my feedings and watering?

20190822_183556.jpg
20190822_184506.jpg
Yes, despite what you may hear, if you are feeding out of a bottle you have a bare minimum requirement to at least be in the range that the manufacturers have designed the nutes to work within. When you really start trying to get through a grow without losing a leaf, without having even the slightest deficiencies, you will find that being able to adjust the pH accurately and move around a bit is of great benefit.
You have made a good decision. Now learn how to get your fluids all adjusted to 6.3 pH each time they hit the soil.

if you are feeding out of a bottle you have a bare minimum requirement to at least be in the range that the manufacturers have designed the nutes to work within.
I used granular fertilizer during transplant and have been using liquid fertilizers that do not designate a specific pH for use. I will research that with more detail though to make sure I am not speaking lies.

Now learn how to get your fluids all adjusted to 6.3 pH each time they hit the soil.
Yes ma'am!!! Thank you for the guidance.

Whew...what a whirlwind it has been with family stuff the past couple weeks. Had a bit of a brake this afternoon before we head out for the fair...urgh!

I decided to uppot the branch that I broke off early on when I first got the girls. Put some cloning gel and stuck her in a solo cup to see if she would make it. Stoked she did! Will she flower at the same time as mom?

The big girl is looking happy it seems. She's put on a lot of growth recently. Should I defoliate her at this point?

The other girl is recovering nicely. Seemed to bounce back quick after the calmag treatment and new growth was obvious within a few days.

The other younger plants are not looking as happy. Not sure if it's too much water or if they want a larger pot. Any ideas?

Nice! You can grow that clone how ever you want, keep it in veg how ever long you want as well, can let it veg until the others are harvested and keep the cycle going.

:morenutes:

Nice! You can grow that clone how ever you want, keep it in veg how ever long you want as well, can let it veg until the others are harvested and keep the cycle going.

:morenutes:

So just keep lights on her for 12+ and she'll stay in veg? For how long? Is that how growers create mother plants? Just pick a solid clone and keep her in light? Indefinitely?

So just keep lights on her for 12+ and she'll stay in veg? For how long? Is that how growers create mother plants? Just pick a solid clone and keep her in light? Indefinitely?
Yes just keep it on a 18/6 and she'll stay in veg until you want to flip her.

Create a perpetual grow.

Hey folks...my apologies for not coming back sooner. Life has been...well a challenge. I'll leave it at that. A couple times since my last posts, I have neglected the ladies but they stayed faithful and just hung on waiting for me. We had a few nutty super hot days. The excessive heat and cold cycles has been my enemy thus far in this little greenhouse. But I think they are doing ok. Please let me know what you think.

By my ignorant observations and estimation, these are in week 3 or 4 of flower. I switched the lights off about 2.5 weeks ago as they were looking like they wanted to go into flower (if that makes sense). I have a couple younger plants that you may see in the overall pic. One made the switch and is catching up. They other...not so much. I wanted to mention the white spots are from watering with cal-mag that dried on the leaves and a combination of my hard water.

Last week I top dressed with Earth Juice "Rainbow Mix Pro Bloom" that is 2-14-2. The last few waterings I have introduced Botanicare Pure Blend Pro Bloom Soil Formula that is 1-4-5.

If I need to get better pics, let me know.

I also just wanted to say thank you to everyone that has liked and/or commented early on to help me along. It is truly appreciated. Sitting here typing this with a heavy heart but also hopeful with the progress of my ladies. They are trudging along with me!

I wasn't sure if I should or should not but I decided to trim some of the small branches with tiny buds. I also did some defoliation. The logic was to remove the small stuff that was below the main canopy since it was unlikely to produce anything substantial. It supposed to focus more energy into the main colas right? Hopefully, it is early enough into flower that they will be ok. Any thoughts would be appreciate please.

Attachments

• 20191013_154618.jpg
    20191013_154618.jpg
    730.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 20191013_152510.jpg
    20191013_152510.jpg
    685.6 KB · Views: 71
Back
Top Bottom