Bandaid Haze #7 And Other Goodies

It’ll deter them for a day or 2 but their curiosity will get the best of them. We used to hang sweaty tshirts in the woods to get deer to move into a pre planned kill zone. It only worked for a couple of days though and deer would ignore the scent

my uncle and cousins used to throw corn seed and a couple other things to get them to move in to some hunt zones our family had on private farm land. there are a lot of tree bluffs out here and piles of deer, antelope not so far off, and more and more moose. we used to prep the bluff hunts.

don't have access anymore, times changed and they were all sold off, but was great when there was. there is an active bow only hunt club that works with some farmers for minimal impact, and they have been allowed to access private hunts and prep the same.

I started bow hunting back in the mid 80’s. Lots of land I had written permission to hunt on. Now days it’s hard to get permission on private property so everyone hunts State lands. It’s an absolute shit show now.

I started bow hunting back in the mid 80’s. Lots of land I had written permission to hunt on. Now days it’s hard to get permission on private property so everyone hunts State lands. It’s an absolute shit show now.

it's sliding the same way here too ...

too many rubber tire hunters shooting out the window from lifted ford pick-ups rolling 80 klick across a farmers fresh swathed 1/2 section ... :rolleyes:

real hunters apply skill, craft, and have class.

I’ve spent countless hours in tree stands watching whitetails up close. I used to live in my stands. Lol

two friends spent a day and half up a bear stand, after one they didn't need tried coming up the tree it was built on. they were after a specific nuisance, but had a bear stand for a couple seasons. the pics and texts were pretty funny.

Thanks for the recipes, maybe the Cayenne will work I may try that out next spring.
I'd try the shredded soap, also, since it will probably take several rains before it breaks down entirely. ;)

I’ve used a combination of hot AF peppers and Irish Spring, in an insecticidal soap mix. It was on my outside garden and worked. Veggie crop, but still. It did need refreshed every couple of weeks, but not bad.

Obviously a gorilla grow isn’t optimal for this, but fencing works a treat. If they leave it alone after a certain size, maybe some cages or something (non-reflective that blends in from view) would do the trick?

I’ve used a combination of hot AF peppers and Irish Spring,

classic combo ! love the peppers and totally forgot about irish spring...
is it still made ? haven't seen it in a loooong time here

irish spring was big in car circles.. i stored cars over the winter with it so rodents would not invade.
have had to use moth balls now for a bit instead.

irish spring will keep the devil away. kind of the way axe repels all humans... :p

Irish Spring soap shavings around the grow site for the win. I'm telling you, it will last in between your month or two long trips to the grow site. Just bring some more shavings out with you each time to help refresh it and it will keep almost any critter away.

You can always tell the people that still use it to shower with, you smell them before you see them and it lasts. There's no way you could ever get accustomed to it. Haha My grandfather used to shower with it and my grandma, who was a nurse, had the Dial antibacterial soap. Those are two smells growing up I will never forget.

two friends spent a day and half up a bear stand, after one they didn't need tried coming up the tree it was built on. they were after a specific nuisance, but had a bear stand for a couple seasons. the pics and texts were pretty funny.
I had similar experience sitting in a tree stand filming a black bear. He came right under my stand then decided to sharpen his claws on the tree I was in. That's when I put down the camera and picked up my bow. Then he went about 20 yards and layed up against a tree with his back and proceeded to give him self a good cleaning. I was wanting to leave and check out a different bait I was throwing sticks at him when I stood up and started talking to him and waving my arms in the air he bolted then. Pretty exciting at the time.

I had similar experience sitting in a tree stand filming a black bear. He came right under my stand then decided to sharpen his claws on the tree I was in. That's when I put down the camera and picked up my bow. Then he went about 20 yards and layed up against a tree with his back and proceeded to give him self a good cleaning. I was wanting to leave and check out a different bait I was throwing sticks at him when I stood up and started talking to him and waving my arms in the air he bolted then. Pretty exciting at the time.

they tossed a couple empty cans at it and pissed on it's face lol .. they didn't have much of weight to throw .. :laughtwo:

I had a blackbear under my stand in Ontario in the 80’s. Never got a shot but I watched him for a good while. Was maybe my most exciting bow hunt ever.

this was a little blackie. i've walked out the same bluff back to back with my friend with both of us drawn, and a few active ones in the bluff. it was a pretty cool place. there was a deer seed in close too, so the bluff pulled all sorts.

it was maintained in winter with skidoo runs out too.

I’ve only been on one Bear hunt back in 85’. My buddy stuck a nice cinnamon bear on that trip but I came up empty.

they are not really pc - even here.
i know a few folk who are really into super responsible hunting and wildlife management.

the stand in question harvested two nuisance and one trophy licensed animal. perhaps questionable by some. all bow.
one of the nuisance was frankly a mercy, with a trapping injury. really sad. :(

The guide in Ontario was also the game warden in that area.

not directly related but the best snowboard riding i ever did was with the patrol in out of bounds .. :p

Also had a grizzly claim a moose I shoot with a arrow. Went to look for the moose the next morning as it was shot late in the day. Following the moose tracks then there are grizzly tracks following the moose. Then we come across a big pile of brush and logs with a hind leg of a moose sticking out of it. That's when we got the f##k out of there. The bear was not far away he can keep the moose. Thing is never filled that tag that year.

Also had a grizzly claim a moose I shoot with a arrow. Went to look for the moose the next morning as it was shot late in the day. Following the moose tracks then there are grizzly tracks following the moose. Then we come across a big pile of brush and logs with a hind leg of a moose sticking out of it. That's when we got the f##k out of there. The bear was not far away he can keep the moose. Thing is never filled that tag that year.

i got clocked by a mountain cat once just walking to my car ... only heard the growl .. thank god i was at the car. after work at a hotel in the mountains. never forgot that sound, it was close. pretty certain i had to do laundry after.

Back
Top Bottom