Bard's Second Grow: Outdoor, In-Ground, Dr. Seeds Fast Genetics

The Bard

Happy 420 Day!

Still pretty much a novice, but I've enjoyed my first grow so far - still in progress. With the nicer weather approaching, I am planning to do an outdoor grow this summer. The season is relatively short here in Ontario, and so I considered some different options, including autos. Got some good advice from the "Outdoor Growing" forum here on 420. I decided that the best compromise was to use "fast" flowering photo period hybrids. I ordered from @DrSeeds again for these. It seems that they almost always have a 3-for-2 deal and since I am only a few towns away, the seeds arrive overnight - literally.

The "fast" genetics are supposed to have a flowering period of less than eight weeks, which works perfect for the day-length and typical first-frost date for me. @Old Salt found some data that he shared with me showing that early/mid-August day-length should trigger blooming, and typically first frost is mid-October. Fingers-crossed we don't get an early frost!

Descriptions/data from the @DrSeeds website:

Cinderella 99:
Cinderella 99 is known by many names including C99, Cindy 99 or just plain Cindy, but there’s no doubt that this is one of the most popular Dutch strains ever created. It’s a robust mix of Jack Herer and Shiva Skunk made popular by massive yields, short finishes, high potency levels and a light, fruity flavor. With solid Sativa-dominant genetics, feminized Cinderella 99 produces a mostly cerebral high that lifts the spirit and eliminates all stress.

Critical Mass:
6-8% THC, 6-8% CBD. Large yield. Earthy, sweet, floral notes. This should be a nice 1:1 strain for sleepy meds.

I got my seeds on Monday, April 15, and set three of each strain (six seeds total), in a damp paper towel that night. 24 hours later, five of six had tap roots, and by 30 hours, six for six. Moved them to Solo cups with pure, buffered coir, domed lid, warming mat, on Wednesday morning. When I checked last night (Friday) they were all above ground. So 4/19/19 is Day 1. Removed the dome and heating mat just now. Cinderella is on the left.

My plan is to keep them under old-fashioned fluorescent tubes for the next several weeks. They will be moved temporarily into 1-gallon pots when needed. Once the weather forecast looks good, they will go outside into the ground (corner of the veggie patch that has good soil and lots of sun). That will probably be somewhere around May 25-June 1. I wanted them to get a jump on the season so I am starting them indoors. But I am hoping the light set-up will be adequate to keep them going until then - might add some CFLs if they start to look too leggy. I have only one small indoor grow tent, and it is full with my current girls, who will be flipping to flower mode in the next week, so that is not an option. I'll be picking the best two seedlings of the three (total of four plants) to put outdoors - legal limit here, and what I have for space.

Will post here only infrequently, until I do the outdoor transplant. Hope that you will come along for the ride!

Good afternoon, everyone!

Just a quick update to - it has been a while, as not too much to report. Today is DAY 10 of veg for these gals. One of the Cinderellas is way behind the rest. I had dropped six seeds with the plan to only move four forward to the transplanting stage. I will keep the little one going until the last minute, in case she decides to catch up:

They are currently getting a very diluted mix of Cal/Mag, Flora Micro and Bloom, Voodoo Juice and Vit B, pH'd to 5.8. Tomorrow I hope to get started on working the ground area where they will ultimately reside for the summer. The soil is already pretty good (veggie patch), but will be amending with kelp meal, rock dust, lime, sand, microbes, and some other goodies and then I'll let that sit for about a month. The move outdoor into the ground is targeted for late May/early June, depending on the temps at that time.

The gals will be upsized to slightly larger pots in a week or two. Any comments or suggestions?

Hope that all is well!

Just did a similar post in the big outdoor growing thread, so hope that this isn't too repetitious to those of you following there as well. Did some soil amending today. I had been looking at different "living organic soil" threads and recipes for ideas. I am not intentionally/solely going to do organic, but I though the logic behind the ingredients made a lot of sense. I didn't want to add too much nitrogen-based stuff, so went light on ingredients that had that. Instead, was trying to beef up the mineral content, inspired by some of the high-brix methodology I've read about. The ground will "cook" (if we ever get a little warmer weather here) for about four weeks, until the girls get transplanted in late May. Here's a photo of all the goodies added....

Definitely going to follow this one out if you don’t mind .

I see what you are using and am very interested to see how you use this and your in Ontario like Myself .

I can get all those ingredients there really easily . I’ve seen them all around .

Last year I tried my first attempt outdoor in holes started inside then gone out .

Had my challenges but the most was lack of sun in flower time .

Still hit 6-7’8 inches or so tall lol

I tried act never got a cycle really going do to work but tried to aim for once a week or two. Damn shield bugs lol

Caterpillars a bit on one but never hit severe up Ed my neem oil sprays . ( Veg )

Learned a ton about my environment and where I am growing .

I hope maybe to try to share few things I’ve learned and hope to learn a thing or too.

My names joe btw.

Oh you hear malted barley un Miller 2nd row used accordingly can shorten your flower time ?

Or horse tail fern tea ?

Great silica source and more. Literally once I boil it and put in mason jar . The aroma is to dye for.

Literally smells like a herbal tea.

All the best to you this summer man.

Definitely going to follow this one out if you don’t mind .

I see what you are using and am very interested to see how you use this and your in Ontario like Myself .

I can get all those ingredients there really easily . I’ve seen them all around .

Last year I tried my first attempt outdoor in holes started inside then gone out .

Had my challenges but the most was lack of sun in flower time .

Still hit 6-7’8 inches or so tall lol

I tried act never got a cycle really going do to work but tried to aim for once a week or two. Damn shield bugs lol

Caterpillars a bit on one but never hit severe up Ed my neem oil sprays . ( Veg )

Learned a ton about my environment and where I am growing .

I hope maybe to try to share few things I’ve learned and hope to learn a thing or too.

My names joe btw.

Oh you hear malted barley un Miller 2nd row used accordingly can shorten your flower time ?

Or horse tail fern tea ?

Great silica source and more. Literally once I boil it and put in mason jar . The aroma is to dye for.

Literally smells like a herbal tea.

All the best to you this summer man.

Hey Joe!

Glad to have you join in - great that you are in a similar climate, and have more experience than me with growing - indoors and out. Please share any advice or suggestions you have, as well as pics etc. Like you said, I am currently starting the seedlings inside, and they will get moved outdoors in late May or so, as soon as the weather looks good, and the ground has warmed up a bit. Cold and nasty out there today!

No, I hadn't heard that about malted barley. I am not sure what Miller 2nd row is. Can you say more about them? I am using "fast" seeds, so I think that means that they have just a touch of ruderalis genetics in them. Not enough to make them an auto, but it is supposed to hustle the flowering along to less than 8 weeks. Fingers crossed. Yes, I had heard that about horsetail fern being a good source for silica. Not sure where to find it though. For my current indoor grow I have just been using Armor Si. I think that outdoors there might be enough silica in the ground naturally, but not sure. I like what silica has done for my indoor grow - stems and branches definitely got thicker/stronger. It is supposed to also help with pest resistance, which will be a big help outdoors this summer.

The stuff in my pic was pretty easy to get. Some came from Cdn Tire, and the others items from either a plant nursery or a grow shop. I also have some fish emulsion (stinks!!) and desalinized sea water, which I'll be using for foliar applications or teas during the summer.

Good luck to you with your summer grow as well - stop by here any time!

Today is DAY13 of veg...and up-potting day! Five of the six girls are doing great. There was one mutant/poor performer (one of the Criticals) that never developed beyond her first set of true leaves. Since my goal is to end up with four plants total in the ground (two x Critical, two x Cinderella), I took this opportunity to ditch her.

They are still in pure coco - I baked (to kill any bugs), washed, and buffered a couple of weeks ago. Added some more myco as I transplanted. They'll continue to get RO water with cal/mag, a 1:blushsmile:1 ratio of nutes, Voodoo juice, and Rapid Start, all with the goal of root development. EC is about 0.3, so very diluted. Will increase cal/mag the most over the next week or two. Will hold pH steady in the 5.8-6.0 range, letting it bounce around those numbers, rather than the exact same pH each watering. They get fed at least once a day, often twice a day. Can't really over-water in coco, and the fresh nutes and oxygen are good for them.

Girls back under the lights, in their new pots. I am using inexpensive LED bulbs, as my goal is just to get a good root system and some leaves in the next month before they go outside. Lights are on timers for 15 hours per day, as that is what the day-length will be when they go in the ground. The one "droopy girl" in the white circular pot is the largest, and had some root-circling in the old solo cup. Hopefully she will bounce back quick now that she has some more room.

ROOTS! I probably should have transplanted a day or two ago, especially droopy girl (not photo'd - I forgot).

Have a great night!

There was one mutant/poor performer (one of the Criticals) that never developed beyond her first set of true leaves.
I had to ditch my WW for the same reason. I started a new seed so we'll see what happens.
The rest of yours look great Bard!

I had to ditch my WW for the same reason. I started a new seed so we'll see what happens.
The rest of yours look great Bard!

Sorry about your loss as well, Mr.S. Mine didn't look like that, but was still not growing right. Oh well, the other five gals all doing well.

Easy on the watering game maybe want that soil to dry out enough.

Besides that looking great bard.

Thanks Joe, I am happy with them. I think I am ok on watering at this stage, since I am growing in coco. But I will keep an eye on them, for sure. Appreciate you keeping an eye out for me!

Thanks Joe, I am happy with them. I think I am ok on watering at this stage, since I am growing in coco. But I will keep an eye on them, for sure. Appreciate you keeping an eye out for me!
I grow in coco too

You can over water in it . You can’t drown the seedlings but you can over water in my experience.

Or make sure you let it dry a tad bit more .

Or even just be self aware is all I am
Saying bro.

Just you showed those roots in the cup you had and the medium looks damp still . I let is dry out a tad longer .

Again just from what I see in picture man.

Now I’ll shut up and take notes lol

I grow in coco too

You can over water in it . You can’t drown the seedlings but you can over water in my experience.

Or make sure you let it dry a tad bit more .

Or even just be self aware is all I am
Saying bro.

Just you showed those roots in the cup you had and the medium looks damp still . I let is dry out a tad longer .

Again just from what I see in picture man.

Now I’ll shut up and take notes lol

Please don't shut up, and definitely don't take notes! :) Like I said, I really appreciate the advice, and will definitely keep an eye out for over watering.

Coco we don’t want it to dry out like soil but still have to find that sweet spot specially at seedling age. I find this is a very sensitive area for growing and keeping a good start one would say?

I could be wrong just an observation bud.

Have a wicked good day man.:passitleft:

Love my coco !

Coco we don’t want it to dry out like soil but still have to find that sweet spot specially at seedling age. I find this is a very sensitive area for growing and keeping a good start one would say?

I could be wrong just an observation bud.

Have a wicked good day man.:passitleft:

Love my coco !

Happy Thursday to you! Hope it is a great one.

Back
Top Bottom