BarnacleBill - Dirt - Unknown - 2015

BarnacleBill

Okay a little history here before I get down to the "Nitty-Gritty" of it all. Once upon a time (1982) in a place far ,far away (Texas) things were a lot different. And it was during these times that a desperate much younger man made his first, and last, grow before moving onto what society would consider a respectable occupation.
The grow itself took that young man into what was local legend at the time (after a brief geographical relocation) and thankfully quickly forgotten thereafter. But to be honest, it was nothing like it is now. Strains?...Ha!. The concept of cloning?... What? Our planting medium was an open patch of sand in the middle of some pines. We poured cow barn slop from the pond via an old septic truck we had on the farm. The strain, christ all we knew, it was "Redbud" seed we pulled from a bale via Mexico in route to a college town in the north east corner of the state (FYI, back then, it all had seed! And shake!). But it grew, damn it grew. Just like a weed...lol!
Now upon a new era in my life and an occupation which no longer will require random urine tests I celebrate the concept of being able to burn again. It has been over five years since I risked my career and partook in some smoke and I greatly anticipate it again. To finally be off the psychotic medications I require to battle my anxiety, stress and the pain in the compacted disks in my back... to return to something more natural with less side effects.
Witch brings me to a funny story ... remember that five year ago quote? Well after my wife left me and the divorce went through and I was moving (throwing away) all my crap I came upon a little cellophane cigarette baggie with some seeds rolled up in it, from five plus years ago...lol. I mean honestly, who on earth would believe that these seeds that have been in the bottom of a wicker basket open to the air for over five years would possibly grow.... surprise! Seven out thirteen will prove you wrong! Out of those only four developed cotyledons and primary leaves.

Medium- 50/50 garden compost and pearlite.
Containers - 5.gal buckets
Sprouted- April
Currently growing outside, not showing sex yet. I am currently still moving. I intentionally stunted the growth due to space and concealment considerations. I pruned the heck out of them...lol. They are also potted in pairs. I realize that this is far from an ideal situation, they kind of caught me off guard by growing at all... Considering the length of time its been since my last grow I enact a "mulligan" to entitle this as my first yet again....lol. But rest assured it won't be my last. Maybe I will even find some decent seed next time! And then clone the hell out of it. Im currently working on a grow chamber but that's still a fall project at this point. Well here are the pics of an unknown strain being grown all wrong but what else would you expect for five year old seed!!!
16519.jpg
15825.jpg
16321.jpg
16422.jpg
15619.jpg
15723.jpg

Here's the latest photos (July). It looks like sativa (Correct me if Im wrong). Im open to comments and ideas.... Its been awahile....lol
038132.jpg
037138.jpg
036141.jpg
036141.jpg
035149.jpg
035149.jpg
034150.jpg
033173.jpg
033173.jpg

Okay I've been rather negligent keeping up with this journal (and the plants while I was on Holiday), so I am going to bring you up to speed:
First off I was showing classic signs of Nitrogen deficiency. The PH is good but the leaves were yellowing from the bottom and working the way up. The bottom leaves were yellow and wilted. Here is the point where I observed the problem...
d109.jpg
c159.jpg

Although I was showing signs of nutrient deficiency there is a good number of cola's, between the four plants there is 20 major and 6 minor.... Not too bad this early in the game with so little attention:
b163.jpg
a205.jpg

So with what I am figuring as at least another month in the vegetative state I figured it was time (and well past due) to jump into a fertilizing schedule. I am using a 10-10-10 cut back about 25-30% on an 8 day schedule. The plants are responding very nicely at this point. I took it one step further. I didn't like the vertical dominance of the plants, they seemed leggy at best so I got a little creative and threw on some screening. Kind of a micro SCROG. This has opened the plants up dramatically and they seem to be responding very well to this training. Here are some pics of it in the early stage a week after the first round of fert...
6836.jpg
5940.jpg
21732.jpg
41182.jpg
31536.jpg
6836.jpg
12575.jpg

Suggestions and comments are welcome. I will try and keep this up to speed. I am really not happy with the way I've done this journal out, especially after seeing the great job others have done. I promise the next round to be spectacular! But like an unplanned pregnancy, I ended up with these and Im gonna try and make the best of it for now. We will just have to wait and see if I can nurture these into something rather than a disappointment.

Subbed. Your right you shade a nitrogen deficiency. Also it looks like you could use some cal/mag. I believe I seen a purple stem. Also a teaspoon of Epsom salt with a gal of water should help this. I do not recommend that you use this every time. So far so good though. LST looks great.

Thanks for the advice, I will give it a shot. Your right the one stem is purple. I will try the Epsom salt and let you know how it goes. ;)

I'm growing in a natural compost comprised mostly of two year old horse manure. That stuff has to age, very acidic. I added 25% pearlite because it also compacts very easily. It seems to be doing fine as far as that's concerned. I was using a triple ten fertilizer and cutting it back to about 50%, I've recently switched to a natural 4-4-4 on an 8 day rotation. I'm running the new feet at recommended strength. The water ph is 6.5 at the last test (last year, I'm on natural well water).

Okay, so I said I was going to be a little more attentive to my darlings. Well that didn't work out for the best. I my darlings in the care of a responsible adult! Responsible adult? Well maybe not so responsible.
After getting in around 10 pm last night I grabbed the flashlight to say hello and was in sheer shock at what I found! The leaves where all drooping and curled. The lower canopy was was totally yellow and the leaves dried adecided to spend the last eleven days sunning myself on the beach (what a hard life...lol). But I left my place and nd crispy. The buckets? No weight at all. It was like lifting a block of foam. Absolutely no water. My heart sank but the top growth is still green. I watered the hell of of them.
Well come morning light it is a little better but not much. The leaves though still a little wilted but regaining their vigor. Two plants are somehow managing to show signs of flowering. Here is a sample of some of the damage I found. I am leaning towards total dehydration but take a gander and let me know if I'm missing something.
on2.jpg
on1.jpg

10445.jpg
103103.jpg
101122.jpg
09430.jpg
09826.JPG
09430.jpg

Well after my harrowing weekend return the plants for the most part rebounded rather well all things considered. One of the cola on one plant still shows excessive signs of heat stress but the rest of that plant and the other three have perked right back up. As you can see they are starting to flower. Three of the four are showing that they are female, one refuses to show at this point. I've still got my fingers crossed for a fourth female :).

My water pH is at 6.5. For the vegetative cycle I ran Dr. Earth Premium Gold Organic 4-4-4 at recommended strength. Although I was a little late getting started. Not to mention I have neglected them rather slightly, summer is never a good time for me. I'm always off somewhere! Since I'm coming into flower now I'm gonna try Rain Grow Bloom-A-Long which is 0-12-0 but at 75% strength. I didn't use any micro neuts or mag which shows in the red stems. Honestly this grow was unexpected, I didn't believe the seeds were still viable as old as they were!

All I can do is think of that cartoon, Penguins of Madagascar. Chief turns to the other penguins and says "Just smile and wave boys, just smile and wave.". Oh yes Im smiling!
029215.JPG
025276.JPG
024269.JPG
023299.JPG
022323.JPG
019388.JPG

... and then that song keeps playing in my head. "How Do You Like Me Now". Not a bad grow from old bag seed. All were females of the four. The yeild looks like its gonna be decent. I will post more before I harvest :)

Were getting close, I just wonder whats gonna give first. The end of the flowering cycle or the weather forcing me to harvest. Still flowering along very happy. The buds are responding very well and gaining impressive girth. A couple are as long as my forearm. I had a little taste the other night. It is surprising strong yet mellow and cerebral, most likely from harvesting early but I still have a ways to go. Im thinking possibly as much as three weeks to go. I just hope the weather holds. My corner of the garden is getting less and less direct sun.
09726.JPG
09623.JPG
09527.JPG
09431.jpg
08924.jpg

Back
Top Bottom