Barney’s Farm With The Mars Hydro

I recently won a Mars FC 3000 in a drawing here. As part of the win, I agreed to feature the light in a journal. This is that journal.
Barneys Farm are 420.Magazine Sponsors. Pairing the two for this grow should produce some :circle-of-love:.

The lighting: I am impressed with the FC 3000 specifications and look forward to seeing what we can do. The light is being sent from China; until it arrives I will be using my Mars, TS 1000
The specs on the FC 3000 show that the Commercial flower footprint is 60 cm and the Personal footprint is 90 cm. We should see great results in my 70 x 70 cm (27”x 27”).

The Genetics: All Barney's Farm. We start with the RUNTZ MUFFIN™ a strain I have wanted to grow out for awhile. We also have a couple of the newer releases. A LEMON TREE™ and the MIMOSA X ORANGE PUNCH™. With these new genetics we have a tasty trio from Barney’s Farm.

The Medium: I use local organic soil that I amend with worm castings, glacial rock dust, and pearlite. I regularly up-pot until I get to a final 5 gal grow bag, therefore I don't need much as far as added nutrients in veg. I will continue with my usual 3 part bottled nutrients for later veg and flowering. Someday soon I hope to be in hydro indoors and a living soil outdoors.

The Grower: Me, a mostly retired 61 year old socially awkward male. This will be my 3rd indoor grow and 2nd, photo-period indoor grow. As a teen, I grew a few outdoor gorilla grows in the SFV, CA. This was the 1970’s. I stopped smoking for awhile in my mid 20’s and started again in my early 50’s. I love it! Always did.

The Grow: It’s early, there’s not much to show yet. After being sandwiched between wet paper towels, all three were showing tails at 30 hours, I then moved them to soil. Overnight, the Lemon Tree (LT) and The Mimosa (MXOP) broke soil. I’m confident the Runtz (RM) will show herself by tonight.
I’m thinking we should see some fine cannabis from this grow with this light and these genetics. There's not much to see yet, so I included a shot of my outdoor Barney’s Farm, Dos Si Dos 33.

I would be grateful to anyone that wants to follow along. I’m not comfortable tagging anyone. If I were to do so, it would show how few people I actually interact with here. I’m hoping with this grow I can change that and I learn to be more interactive with others.

Happy grows :peace:

DSC01100.JPG

DSC01106.JPG

DSC01107.JPG

DSC01103.JPG
Can I come visit and grow with you. I'll bring my family, Ryan is an electrician he can do any work you need and in return, you let me hang out on your balcony and talk to your plants

Good morning, its 15 days since popping, and 1 week in the .5 gallon pots. I’ll top tomorrow or Monday. They will go into the 5 gal bags next weekend. Would 11 liter / 3 gal bags be enough for a 35 day veg? I have some square ones I could use.

I saw a few baby fungus gnats this morning. Nasty little fkers . After seeing a video of what they do in the root zone, I really don’t like them. I will treat tomorrow with watering.

The .5 g. pots get watered every 2nd day, that’s faster than usual. I add enzymes, micro nutes and a fermented alfalfa based stimulator to the water. This combo has worked well for me the last few runs in early growth. This time I kept it just a bit wetter than usual. It shows with the thicker heavy leaves. It doesn’t seem to have slowed growth at all. I find I am now starting to cut the water back.

On the Lemon Tree, the tips of a couple fans are dry. When I was prepping soil for these pots I mixed soil and amendments in a bucket, the lemon tree pot was the last filled and came up short on soil, back in the 5 and a scoop of fresh soil. Only, I inadvertently scooped up a 50/50% mix of old soil, strong compost and an activator. This slightly burned the tips of the lemon tree. I realized what happened the next morning when I noticed a few clay beads in the pot. I was/am attempting to revamp some old soil with a strong store bought compost and time. I think it’ll work out okay if mixed with fresh soil. We will see with the next run.

The Lemon Tree and the Mimosa X are full and squat where the Runtz is more lanky. All are thriving and vigorously growing.

IMG_0250.JPG

IMG_0251.JPG

IMG_0252.JPG

IMG_0254.JPG

IMG_0255.JPG

Good morning, its 15 days since popping, and 1 week in the .5 gallon pots. I’ll top tomorrow or Monday. They will go into the 5 gal bags next weekend. Would 11 liter / 3 gal bags be enough for a 35 day veg? I have some square ones I could use.

I saw a few baby fungus gnats this morning. Nasty little fkers . After seeing a video of what they do in the root zone, I really don’t like them. I will treat tomorrow with watering.

The .5 g. pots get watered every 2nd day, that’s faster than usual. I add enzymes, micro nutes and a fermented alfalfa based stimulator to the water. This combo has worked well for me the last few runs in early growth. This time I kept it just a bit wetter than usual. It shows with the thicker heavy leaves. It doesn’t seem to have slowed growth at all. I find I am now starting to cut the water back.

On the Lemon Tree, the tips of a couple fans are dry. When I was prepping soil for these pots I mixed soil and amendments in a bucket, the lemon tree pot was the last filled and came up short on soil, back in the 5 and a scoop of fresh soil. Only, I inadvertently scooped up a 50/50% mix of old soil, strong compost and an activator. This slightly burned the tips of the lemon tree. I realized what happened the next morning when I noticed a few clay beads in the pot. I was/am attempting to revamp some old soil with a strong store bought compost and time. I think it’ll work out okay if mixed with fresh soil. We will see with the next run.

The Lemon Tree and the Mimosa X are full and squat where the Runtz is more lanky. All are thriving and vigorously growing.

IMG_0250.JPG

IMG_0251.JPG

IMG_0252.JPG

IMG_0254.JPG

These fungus gnats must be what's iaround my Brohmelia plant...luckily in another room from my tents. How do you treat for them?

Krissi, I use
Solbac tabs - "This highly specific, biological preparation based on Bacillus thuringiensis (var. Israelensis ) is beneficial to beneficial organisms and harmless to fish, pets and plants" -
they usually work with two applications. Dissolve in water and water to run off. There are other brands and/or products, someone will recommend something stateside. I'm just waiting until I can next water to runoff. Its BT, and usually works well. They multiply and grow fast. :peace:

IMG_0271.JPG

I FIM'd the Mimosa X this morning, the Lemon Tree and the Runtz Muffin were topped. All procedures were done at the 5th existing node, technically the 6th. The first nodes on all three were previously removed.
I also took some of the bottom leaves, they were touching the soil. It shouldn't be a big deal, the lower nodal growth has been rapid. All should be in their final 5 Gal bags by the weekend
Can I come visit and grow with you. I'll bring my family, Ryan is an electrician he can do any work you need and in return, you let me hang out on your balcony and talk to your plants
Anytime! If you want to talk to the plants, we will need to set some boundaries. So far, they only know my voice and reasoning. We cant be confusing them, especially on gender issues.

I FIM'd the Mimosa X this morning, the Lemon Tree and the Runtz Muffin were topped. All procedures were done at the 5th existing node, technically the 6th. The first nodes on all three were previously removed.
I also took some of the bottom leaves, they were touching the soil. It shouldn't be a big deal, the lower nodal growth has been rapid. All should be in their final 5 Gal bags by the weekend

Anytime! If you want to talk to the plants, we will need to set some boundaries. So far, they only know my voice and reasoning. We cant be confusing them, especially on gender issues.
Understood. I'll pick up a voice changer on my way over....can't have the girls all twisted up

Good morning, yesterday I topped and removed some lower fans on the lemon tree. They were heavy and hanging low with the tips touching the soil.

With all three, I have struggled to find a balance for watering. All water seems to go straight into the leaves making them heavy. Growth is vigorous but the look of the plants is that of being over watered. I’ve been carefully watching and there is not much I would have done different. These girls are a bit odd with their water retention. Usually I like to add humidity during the first few weeks of growth, last week I removed the humidifier, humidity dropped into low 40’s and they slowly perked up. As soon as we uppot to the 5 gal grow bags the humidity will be more stable and easier to regulate in the tent.

IMG_0272.JPG

IMG_0273.JPG

IMG_0274.JPG

IMG_0275.JPG

Good morning, yesterday I topped and removed some lower fans on the lemon tree. They were heavy and hanging low with the tips touching the soil.

With all three, I have struggled to find a balance for watering. All water seems to go straight into the leaves making them heavy. Growth is vigorous but the look of the plants is that of being over watered. I’ve been carefully watching and there is not much I would have done different. These girls are a bit odd with their water retention. Usually I like to add humidity during the first few weeks of growth, last week I removed the humidifier, humidity dropped into low 40’s and they slowly perked up. As soon as we uppot to the 5 gal grow bags the humidity will be more stable and easier to regulate in the tent.

IMG_0272.JPG

IMG_0273.JPG

IMG_0274.JPG

IMG_0275.JPG
Weed on wheels...this is a first for me. I dig it.

Good morning . Its day 20 above ground, and just 1 day short of two weeks in the .5 gal containers. I didn’t like the way the leaves were touching the soil. Yesterday I prepped the 5 gal bags and uppotted to the 5’s this morning. Rather than cut more leaves, I propped them on the bag handles. I lightly watered today and will water more thoroughly tomorrow.

The pots were nicely filled with roots and the roots are looking strong and healthy. The way the leaves were drooping I thought there could be a problem down below. I sprayed the new holes with water and added a small scoop of mycorrhiza. I’m really not sure if it makes a difference or not. It can’t hurt.

I’m still not sure how I will train and/or top/fim. My tent is short, I’m thinking of only topping from here. We’ll see. I think the plants are healthy, even though they have these heavy waterlogged leaves. It almost seems more genetic than water retention.

I have set the @Mars Hydro , FC 3000 at 19” and 80% power. With growth, the distance to light had shrunk to 15”.

IMG_0299.JPG

IMG_0304.JPG

IMG_0305.JPG

IMG_0306.JPG

IMG_0307.JPG

IMG_0308.JPG

I must have had a nanner in my last grow. 1st indoor photo grow. I looked and looked but never found the culprit. Twice I took every plant out and inspected for nanners or male parts, nothing. As a result, I have a few, to 2/18 seeds per, from 4 strains so far. I'm pleased. It appears only lower buds were polinated. The big mains are clear. I couldn't have planned it better. I suspect it was the Peyote that threw a nanner. The peyote was a self from last summers outdoor. Peyote pics from indoor.

DSC01028.JPG

DSC01029.JPG
Trying the manual button on the camera. Here is that bud, peyote mostly cured no flash. A banger too. getting high, showing my bud. ;) :smokin:

IMG_0311.JPG

IMG_0322.JPG

Hey guys if ya want something for those fungus flying bastards. Get beneficial nematodes. They will sort out those buggers in no time and has no bad effects on plants. Natural and works great. Comes as a powder you keep in fridge. Just stick them in plain correct pH water for a week and boom problem solved. Not expensive and will defo work

Good morning . Its day 20 above ground, and just 1 day short of two weeks in the .5 gal containers. I didn’t like the way the leaves were touching the soil. Yesterday I prepped the 5 gal bags and uppotted to the 5’s this morning. Rather than cut more leaves, I propped them on the bag handles. I lightly watered today and will water more thoroughly tomorrow.

The pots were nicely filled with roots and the roots are looking strong and healthy. The way the leaves were drooping I thought there could be a problem down below. I sprayed the new holes with water and added a small scoop of mycorrhiza. I’m really not sure if it makes a difference or not. It can’t hurt.

I’m still not sure how I will train and/or top/fim. My tent is short, I’m thinking of only topping from here. We’ll see. I think the plants are healthy, even though they have these heavy waterlogged leaves. It almost seems more genetic than water retention.

I have set the @Mars Hydro , FC 3000 at 19” and 80% power. With growth, the distance to light had shrunk to 15”.

IMG_0299.JPG

IMG_0304.JPG

IMG_0305.JPG

IMG_0306.JPG

IMG_0307.JPG

IMG_0308.JPG
Way to "handle" those drooping leaves! :Rasta:

Its day 23 days and the lower growth is picking up. I topped the first (lowest) node growth points at their 4th node. There is a lot of growth going on under those fans. The uppermost tops and The FIM that were done earlier took well and are nice and clean. Young FIM’s look so nicely crowded up top when coming in. These first FIM’s and toppings will mean so much later on. I have decided I will top once, each of nodal branches or growth points. The uppermost new growth will be topped again after they grow a couple new nodes. The plan is still to flip at 35 days, 5 weeks, that's 12 more days. I am super impressed with both the Barney’s Farm genetics and the fast growth under the @Mars Hydro FC 3000 light.

IMG_0335.JPG

IMG_0336.JPG

IMG_0337.JPG

IMG_0338.JPG

IMG_0339.JPG

IMG_0340.JPG

IMG_0341.JPG

Hey @stinker looking nice those ladies. Just wondered how do you germinate seeds. I'll be doing my first 2 grows from seed starting in few weeks and I've seen different ideas. I've seen people using paper towels using your hands to open etc. I've seen people who soak in water for 24 hours. And I've seen people who just stick I some decent soil under a 18 hour light in propogator.

I don't fancy the paper towel idea. Seems like too much I could mess up.

I know soaking in water works but do you leave in dark? What temp should water be? When the seed has sprouted a tiny root do you just pour it in or does the root need to be facing down etc.

Putting seed in soil seems too easy but also makes sense. Can keep it humid with propogator and light and also soil is what seeds are made for.

I dunno any advice would be great. I'm planning on getting at least 1 spare of each seed just incase so have a backup incase 2 fail but I'd like to learn how to do it right.

Thanks in advance :passitleft:

Hey @Moony , I use paper towels. and it has seldom failed me. It the only way I germinate.
I use two medium sized plates, take a double thickness of paper towels, line the bottom and place seeds, then cover again with double towels, slowly cover with water let sit a moment, tilt and drain excess then cover with 2nd plate turned upside down. If using multiple seed varieties, I mark the plate @ 6:30 and then make a diagram of where various seeds are placed. If its a cold season, I put in a drawer and close, this I think keeps the temp more stable. Good luck. :peace:

Back
Top Bottom