Barneys Farm Blue Cheese 250W HPS 1st Time Grow

freetheweedni

Hi I've seemed to use this forum quite a lot for advice and info on how to grow so I thought I would give a bit back to the helpful 420 family and share my 1st grow with you. This is my very 1st attempt at growing my reasons for this are simply that I am sick and tired of paying over the odds for sub standard smoke. Btw cannabis is prohibited in my country. I am growing Barneys Farm Blue Cheese under a 250w hps lamp in a built in wardrobe so im limited for space. I am using 7.5 litre pots and using Bio Bizz All mix soil. I purchased a complete grow kit so thats why everything is Bio Bizz. These are pics after 3 weeks of veg.
20120703_181607.jpg
20120703_181532.jpg
20120703_181459.jpg

as this is my 1st grow any advice from you guys will be greatly appreicated plus I will be happy to answer any questions.

Cheers
F.T.W

hey dude, :welcome:

mmm everybody loves some stinky blue cheese:tokin: ive grown with biobizz nutes and was really happy with the results... subbed and happy growing brother :thumb:

another UK grower, welcome my friend, we are few and far between on here but we are here, subd mate, great start, everything looks good to me.

here is a few tips to improve your grow,
1, in the grow space you are using either paint the walls with white emulsion paint, doing this will reflect the light and get the plant growing quicker, or get hold of some mylar rescue blankets from the well know rain forest sounding site, dont use tin foil it absorbs light and reflects heat, so go with the flat white paint not gloss or get some mylar and use that, i got 5 blankets for less than £3, i only used 2 in my room and its 3ft by 3ft and floor to ceiling high.

2, dont over water, i did this at first and it badly stunted growth, make sure the pot is dry before you give the next water, poke your fingers about 2 inches down the pot and if its wet and sticks to your fingers then it dont need water, if it is dry then give it some water, over watering is a problem a lot of new growers come across

3, check your temps, the best temp range for these plants is 78f, or slightly higher, no higher than 85f, if you go below say 75 then it will stunt growth, if its higher than 85 then this will stress the plants and the end of the leaves will curl up as they try to cool down. so get a temp gauge if you not got one and hang it in the room at the same height as the top of the plant, this will give you the correct temp,

4, try and get a temp and humidity gauge, i got mine from the pound shop and its an alarm clock with temp and humidity gauge on it, you want the humidity around 55 for veg which isnt a problem where we are that should be ok so you wont have any problems with that, when it comes to flower you want it lower to stop bud rot so below 45ish would be ideal, its not easy to lower it that much without spending money where we are but all we can do is try and make sure everything else is right and then it should be ok.

5 i read you purchased a grow kit, did this come with nutrients, if it did then your pretty much sorted, if not then you will need something for the veg stage and something for the flower stage. this will make the plant grow fast and vigorous in veg and in flower it will produce dense and big buds,

feel free to ask any questions, im by no way an expert on these plants but i can tell you what i have learned and give you some advice on how to improve the growing conditions so you can get the best from these plants.

but looking at the pictures of your plant it dont look like its needing nutes and it looks really healthy, so great start to your journal, looks good so far mate

Hi guys thanks for all the support. Didnt really explain myself in the beginning them pics are taken outside my grow room as the camera on my phone dosent seem to work when lights are on as you can see.
20120704_225039.jpg

but thats their home.
Paul cheers for all the great advice. I am going to have to keep an eye on temps because I think that could be my downfall.
As regards of nutes im using bio bizz root juice along with miracle grow pour and feed bought from a local diy store £3 for a litre. For flowering I have bio bizz bio bloom and a thing called beastie bloomz. I got 10 meters of total blackout sheeting in my grow kit so i used it to section off my grow room.
Cheers again lads.
FTW

no probs, sounds like you got most of it covered then mate, you got the nutes so thats all good, you got the grow room and that also looks good, all i can say is try and keep the temps no higher than 85. im trying something with my plants at the moment, the guide is 78f for these plants, but i have had my temps go as high as 90f and my plants seemed to grow like crazy with the hotter temps so im going to do some testing to find out why some plants will grow at higher temps and others get stressed out, im growing different strains so should get some stress but as of yet im not getting none, i keep the temps around 80 to 85f when im in but if i have someone round and i shut the grow room door then temps get up to the 90's and i open the door expecting to find stressed plants only to find that they have grown like crazy in very short time, ill let you know what i find out.

im just putting some pics up of my grow if you want to come over and check it out, also dont forget about the contests, some great prizes, check out the link below in my signature,

Hi guys yes the grow is still well alive. Ive just been feeling under the weather for a few weeks. Il post a few new pics this evening. Hi tjalibabba my light is a phillips son-t pia plus 250w thats all I know, sorry completely new to this game.
Ttys
FTW

Here we go time for some new pics I have 2 babies on the go at the minute. I switched them to 12/12 last monday when do they start to show their sex?
this is the smaller plant
Flowering15.jpg
Flowering22.jpg

this is the big girl
Lola11.jpg
Lola2.jpg
Lola3.jpg

Hope you enjoy.
FTW

hi mate, hows it going, you see the end of the leaves curling down, well this is either a sign of lack of water or to much water, when i notice my leaves do that i give them a good water, the mistake i made in the past was not to have the pots sitting in a bowl, then when i watered it just ran strait out the bottom and did not soak into the soil to water the roots, so what i do now is have all my pots sitting in bowls then when i water i water from the top and from the bottom so the plant then soaks up what it needs, i found my plants respond more to this than they did before.

so check how often you water, you can usually tell by the weight of the pot, so if it feels light then they need watering, if its heavy then let it go another day, i was watering every 3 or 4 days, but as the temps have risen i need to water mine every 2 days, i water from the top slowly making sure its not rushing strait out the bottom, i have also found a spray bottle works well as you can soak the top of the compost and let it soak in then when you water it dont run down channels in the compost and strait out the bottom, i then water from the top and i fill the bowl with water as well and let it sit for 30 min, i then empty the bowl and let the plant sit in it till next time i water, i found this is the best way,
but now the temps are hot i notice some of the bigger leaves looking like yours, so i give them all a good drink and they go back to normal, but also over watering causes the same problem and so does high temps, try and get a fan blowing towards the light to remove the heat build up and have a small fan blowing gently on the plants, you dont want a strong wind on the plants as this dries them out as well,

You should see sex within a week after switching to 12/12 as long as the plant is mature enough when the switch is made which yours appear to be.

Plants look good and you should see preflowers really soon I think. I would also slightly lower the nitrogen you feed them, the leaves are looking really dark. But you know your own plants better then me and it could also be due to genetics rather than too much Nitrogen. As long as they keep growing and keep maturing all is fine in the garden! :ganjamon:

when i flipped my last round to flower they wasnt mature enough, the plant is mature when the branches stop growing a mirror of each other, when they start to stagger which i mean when 1 branch is starting at the stem higher than the other so they are not both growing at the same point of the stem or node then this is when they are mature enough, usualy around 4 weeks or 4 or 5 nodes high, now mine took around 2 weeks to show sex when not mature enough, but this time round ive been using the gas lantern routine to veg with, im doing this to keep costs down with the hps im using,
so with glr my plants showed sex at 2 weeks old from seed, so not even in flower
glr is basically tricking the plant into thinking its starting to flower and this makes the plant grow quicker and stretch as if they was starting to flower.
so glr is basically this,
12 hours of constant light
5.5 hours of dark,
1 hour of light
5.5 hours of dark.

so basically the plant is getting 12 hours of light, and normally if it was in flower it would get 12 hours of dark, but instead of giving it the full 12 hours of dark you give it 1 hour of light in the middle of the 12 hours of dark, this stops the plant flowering and keeps it in veg but it tricks the plant into thinking its going into flower so it starts rapid growth, now when i tried this method from day 1 from seed i noticed that my plants from seed showed sex at 2 weeks old and 2 or 3 nodes high, the plants grow quicker under glr and then when you give them 12-12 to start flower they then flower quicker, it keeps my costs down due to only having the hps on for 13 hours in 24 hours, so not like the 18-6 normal or 20-4, so as you can see it keeps costs down and i can honestly say the plants grow quicker and mature quicker.

but some plants will still flower under glr, this is rare ive not come across another grower that has had their plant go to full flower, they may show the pistils showing sex but they wont go into full flower, ive got to admit that clones seem to grow quicker under glr than seedlings do, seedlings start to catch up growth wise between weeks 2 and 3, then they all pretty much grow at the same pace.

im amazed with the results, when i tried it first i tried it with seedlings and did glr along side 20-4 and 24-0, and i can say that the 24-0 seedlings where bigger than the glr, but after giving the seedlings longer to veg they soon pick up and grow like crazy, my plants are twice the size as they was the last time i grew when i wasnt using glr, and they seem to get a boost from glr, just thought id let you know about glr in case you want to give it a try sometime,

so all been well yours should start showing sex around week 1 or 2 of 12-12, just keep checking for the white hairs popping out at the nodes, id recomend glr to anyone who is growing, its hard to set a digital timer to glr but an old analogue one where you just push the buttons up or down is easy to do and works perfect, you just set the timer to 12-12 then in the section that is the 12 hours off period just pick an hour in the middle and change the switches so the light comes on for that hour in between, if they did start to go into full flower then id add more time during the 12 hour off, instead of 1 hour of light in the middle give it 1.5 hours of light during the 12 hour dark period and this should stop flowering and keep them vegging, then when you flip 12-12 they pretty much go strait into flower

i used to soak my seeds using the paper towel method and some seeds would sprout in 24 hours and some up to 3 or 4 days, as soon as i see the tap root sticking out the seed i transplanted them into small pots with soil in, but i have been reading that this method does stress the seeds and causes a higher male ratio with regular seeds, but if you use femenised seeds then this wont affect anything.

so what i do now is plant the seeds directly into small seed trays with soil in, some sprout and grow out the soil within 2 days, others take around 5 days, just depends how deep you bury them and how quick the plant grows, just make sure the soil is kept moist if you use soil as your growing medium, the depth to plant at is about 6ml under the surface, any deeper and it can cause problems with growth and can take ages to grow out the soil, so keep it around 5ml and they should be sprouted in a few days

i used to soak my seeds using the paper towel method and some seeds would sprout in 24 hours and some up to 3 or 4 days, as soon as i see the tap root sticking out the seed i transplanted them into small pots with soil in, but i have been reading that this method does stress the seeds and causes a higher male ratio with regular seeds, but if you use femenised seeds then this wont affect anything.

so what i do now is plant the seeds directly into small seed trays with soil in, some sprout and grow out the soil within 2 days, others take around 5 days, just depends how deep you bury them and how quick the plant grows, just make sure the soil is kept moist if you use soil as your growing medium, the depth to plant at is about 6ml under the surface, any deeper and it can cause problems with growth and can take ages to grow out the soil, so keep it around 5ml and they should be sprouted in a few days

These are feminized and put in these jiffies, very slightly covered, like 1-2mm:
Jiffy7c.jpg

They're in a small propagator, 72 hours now, in temperatures between 22 and 30 degrees covered with a transparent lid. The seeds look cracked and they looked like they're growing.

I've seen something like this before, and they ended up in a bin eventually :(

id say they should be a bit deeper, about 5ml, if their not deep enough then they wont be strong enough to break out the shell as they dont get moist enough, or you could have some dodgy seeds, i used to use paper towel method using kitchen roll and put a couple of layers below the seeds and a layer above the seeds then spray with water, some would sprout in 12 hours and others after a few days.

but like i said i plant direct in the soil now and they usually grow quicker, as long as you keep them moist and not soaking wet they should sprout, if their to wet it will just rot the tap root, so keeping them moist and dark is the best option,

id say they should be a bit deeper, about 5ml, if their not deep enough then they wont be strong enough to break out the shell as they dont get moist enough, or you could have some dodgy seeds, i used to use paper towel method using kitchen roll and put a couple of layers below the seeds and a layer above the seeds then spray with water, some would sprout in 12 hours and others after a few days.

but like i said i plant direct in the soil now and they usually grow quicker, as long as you keep them moist and not soaking wet they should sprout, if their to wet it will just rot the tap root, so keeping them moist and dark is the best option,

It might be the fact that they got too wet... Although one came out today and I think I can see it growing in front of my eyes. I shall expect to see the first leaves tomorrow. The other three look same as yesterday, the roots are like 2-3mm long...
I planted few more, same kind. We'll see...

Back
Top Bottom