Barneys Farm LSD - Soil Mother - 600 Watt HPS

Update time!!!
It has now been a week since the last picture update. All i can say is WOW. This girl is doing amazing and this 600 watt is kicking butt. These are the biggest buds i have ever grown thats for sure! She has not slowed down one day.

I did however water with two 1800 ppm watering back to back and she has a little bit of tip burn. Not bad by any means! I had forgot which day i was on as i have to water every day LOL. My mistake.

Cal/Mag deficiency was showing a little a few weeks ago but it has now stopped as i upped the cal/mag supplement. You may be able to see a few leaves in the pictures.

We are on the home stretch now hopefully as this Saturday (1/31) is the 8 week mark of 12/12. She has not showed any signs of slowing down yet other than a few turning pistils here and there. Her buds are swaying over and getting VERY heavy. I may have to put some supports up! We are at about 100% cloudy with only a few amber on the sugar leaves as they always usually turn before they are ready.

Im on the last of my Botanicare bloom nutes and may have to switch to my Flora series before this grow is over. I will let you know!

The smell of this strain is just unbelievable... These buds are completely covered in sticky trichomes. When im in the room and close to the colas my mouth waters because they smell so good LOL. (Thats no joke either.)

The first two pictures will be the weekly comparison with only 1 week in between! Check them out. Crazy growth in 7 days!!! I got a pair of grow room glasses as well! I love em!

Jan 18

118021.jpg

Jan 26 (current)

126051.jpg

Now the a few more current pictures!!!

These are the two front buds. Cant get to the back to get a comparson.

126011.jpg
126021.jpg
126031.jpg
126041.jpg

Thanks DankGirl! Yes i agree. I have not started flushing or anything even though 8 weeks is Saturday. A lot of new growth as well as some fox tailing. Im going to wait at least another 1-2 weeks before I even think about flushing, checking the trichomes for amber. I will let this girl go all the way as im wanting a really stone couch lock high!

Haha! Thanks c526! Im very very excited about the strain and the plant as well. This looks to be the highest quality that ive grown before! Very healthy, trichomes EVERYWHERE and the smell is just amazing. Super excited! And i hear that LSD is a "trippy" strain!

I have been feeding a NPK ratio that consist of 1-2-3 for flowering stage with my Botanicare Kind line.

I'm sorry man, but how do you come to this ratio? This is the second time i've read this in a few pages. Kind Base is 4-0-0, grow is 2-2-4 and Bloom is 0-6-6. If you read on your bottles, these numbers represent the percentages of each macronutrient (not Calcium, sulfur or magnesium tho) available in the fertilizer, so i'm curious how you come to this strange ratio?

I'm sorry man, but how do you come to this ratio? This is the second time i've read this in a few pages. Kind Base is 4-0-0, grow is 2-2-4 and Bloom is 0-6-6. If you read on your bottles, these numbers represent the percentages of each macronutrient (not Calcium, sulfur or magnesium tho) available in the fertilizer, so i'm curious how you come to this strange ratio?

From my understanding cannabis plants need a NPK ratio that consist of 1-2-3 Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potassium. My actual feed of NPK are a lot higher but what i mean by the ratio is that if I feed with 5% nitrogen then in my mix is 10% Phosphorus and 15% Potassium as examples. This breaks down to a ratio of 1-2-3 of NPK in my nutrient solution. For example 2-4-6 has a broken down ratio of 1-2-3 of how many parts it consist of between the NPK.

Does this make any sense? Maybe im completely wrong hahaha

Edit to add: Im talking Ratios here not NPK percentages like what is marked on the bottles...

Cannabis plants have a wide range of micro and macronutrients that they intake at different stages of growth and depending on a variety of environmental factors.

To say that cannabis needs an NPK "ratio" of 1-2-3 is false. Cannabis CAN grow without many nutrients. But in order to grow efficiently and to its maximum potential, without detrimental deficiencies, the plant requires a certain amount of nutrients for each stage of growth.

Cannabis has 3 distinct phases of its life. Harvesting, drying and curing is technically the 4th but the 3 are: Germination/seedling stage, vegetative growth stage, and Flower or Bloom stage.

Each stage has its own needs. The Germination/seedling stage requires little to no nutrient additives, as the embryo within the cannabis seed has enough micro and macro nutrients to sustain itself for a few weeks after the seed is sown.

The Vegtative stage requires a high level of nitrogen for proper photosynthesis, production of chlorophyll as well as amino acids as well as a plethora of other things i could go on all day listing. plants in veg DO require phosphorous and Potassium, but in much lower quantities, as Nitrogen is the key element to vegetative growth, since the majority of the plants structure is comprised of nitrogen, so not having enough could halt growth to a stop. So an NPK ratio of 1-2-3 would be terrible for vegetative growth. ** use silica during veg too if you aren't. Just saying!**

The Flowering, fruiting or blooming stage requires considerably less Nitrogen, as you are no longer growing in a vegetative state, and much more Phosphorous and potassium to promote flowering and bud development. An NPK "ratio" of 1-2-3 would be okay, but you might develop phosphorous deficiencies depending on how much P your plant needs.

But let me be frank, you or I have no idea what the actual N-P-K ratio is when we use bottle nutrients, as the other 80-90% of the bottle, is trace elements, inert materials and water. When you use solid plant food, in which you literally measure out the N and then the P and then the K, mix each element up in water and add each one to the whole mix and feed your plant with that, then you will truly know the exact N-P-K ratio you are giving your plants.

My local hydro store sells plant food just like that, and i always wonder how many people buy that stuff..?

Anyways, i think its just confusing to throw out 1-2-3 or 2-6-6 or whatever people say, when most people have a pretty good idea these days of what each of their bottles contains and how much of what element they are increasing when they add something. This knowledge just comes from using different things. Like for instance, i know exactly how much the PPM will raise in your water if you add 5ml per gal or 10ml per gal of Liquid Koolbloom, just from mixing it myself.

hey out of curiosity, did you happen to pick up the Koolbloom Dry as well? I would highly suggest it!

Thanks as always for your detailed write ups! I did some research and found that most growers follow the 1-2-3 "ratio" in flower and is the reason i was mixing my nutrients by it. I did it that way and mixed my own ml per gallon on what i thought was the best 1-2-3 ratio i could achieve from my nutrient line up. One of the main reason i did this is because i was running out of base and bloom nutrients but found i had over half the bottle of grow left! So with me mixing to the 1-2-3 ratio im able to use mostly my grow nutrient with some bloom added in to achieve the 1-2-3 ratio.

I will be switching to my Flora series pretty soon and hope i catch on quick to using those as well! Im the same way with the kind line ive been using and know how many ppm per ml when i add it and how much pH up im going to have to use.

I know you have been switching up on your drying and curing methods but im curious do you have a current one that you like the best before you do your testing? Like i said before im getting pretty close to my harvest and would love to use your methods on drying and curing. You are an awesome grower thanks for sharing your knowledge with everyone.

my main question really is.. how do you come to the actual calculation that the percentages of Nitrogen - Phosphorous - Potassium is in fact 1%-2%-3%?

How does anyone? I'm googling the shit out of google but it cant google good enough..

Do "they" whoever "they" are actually mean parts? like 1 part nitrogen, 2 parts phosphorous and 3 parts potassium? again, the amount of research i do still cannot answer the question

That is correct it is in parts.

Lets say one of your bottles of nutrients has a NPK rating of 5-10-15. That would be 5% Nitrogen, 10% Phosphorus and 15% potassium. The rest like you said is trace minerals and additives. This would still be a NPK ratio of 1-2-3 as ratio is parts? Because no matter how you dilute the nutrient solution it still has 1-2-3 parts NPK in the solution. You can dilute with 50 gallons of water but the NPK make up is still the 1-2-3 you will just have like 99% water lol.... Thats where the ppm comes in and how many ml per gallon you have to mix to come up with the correct feeding.

This is how i figure it up...

Well then the 1-2-3 ratio is in fact not what a cannabis plant needs as there is no nutrient formula that I have seen that follows that "recipe" if you will.

Gh 3-part is a good example. FloraGrow is what, 2-1-6? Micro is 5-0-1? and bloom i know is 0-5-4.. Technaflora is similar.

personally, it really all sounds like stoner babble. I mean, nutrient companies are making money doing what they do. sure they're gouging us a little bit, but are we all chemists and horticulturists with degrees in that field? With the way things are these days, you dont think they are making their formulas lean more towards cannabis plant growth? Look at the explosion of these beneficial products on the market now.

I think we are starting to see that what we originally thought about growing cannabis isn't all what we think it is.. theres so much that we still have yet to figure out about this lovely plant!

Well then the 1-2-3 ratio is in fact not what a cannabis plant needs as there is no nutrient formula that I have seen that follows that "recipe" if you will.

Gh 3-part is a good example. FloraGrow is what, 2-1-6? Micro is 5-0-1? and bloom i know is 0-5-4.. Technaflora is similar.

personally, it really all sounds like stoner babble. I mean, nutrient companies are making money doing what they do. sure they're gouging us a little bit, but are we all chemists and horticulturists with degrees in that field? With the way things are these days, you dont think they are making their formulas lean more towards cannabis plant growth? Look at the explosion of these beneficial products on the market now.

I think we are starting to see that what we originally thought about growing cannabis isn't all what we think it is.. theres so much that we still have yet to figure out about this lovely plant!

Sure there is! Its simple math not just stoner babble! Do the calculations on any of your feedings and the ratio comes out close to a 1-2-3 part NPK solution. Every nutrient line is different and have a different ratio for each feeding week. But when it comes down to NPK makeup of the feed its pretty darn close to the 1-2-3 in flower.

Ill give you some examples!

So lets do Flora series since you have experience with that line! Lets look at.... Week 8 of the simple feed chart.

NPK percentage makeup of the nutrients:
Flora Grow: 2-1-6
Flora Micro: 5-0-1
Flora Bloom: 0-5-4

What the feed chart calls for(per gallons):
2.5ml grow
7.5ml micro
12.5ml bloom

Ok so now that we have our numbers let do some calculations!!!

Lets start with the grow calculations.
Since the feeding is 2.5 ml we will times this by each percentage in the nutrient.

(2-1-6)
2.5 * 2 = 5% (N)
2.5 * 1 = 1% (P)
2.5 * 6 = 15% (K)

So for the Grow nutrients we will have per gallon NPK ratio of:
5 - 1 - 15

Now lets continue and do the micro! Feeding 7.5ml so thats the number we start with.

(5-0-1)
7.5 * 5 = 37.5
7.5 * 0 = 0
7.5 * 1 = 7.5

So for the micro nutrients we will have per gallon NPK ratio of:
37.5 - 0 - 7.5

Now lets do the bloom! Feeding 12.5ml per gallon:

0 - 5 - 4
12.5 * 0 = 0
12.5 * 5 = 62.5
12.5 * 4 = 50

So for the grow nutrients we will have per gallon NPK ratio of:
0 - 62.5 - 50

Ok so now lets add the makeup up! This will give us the nutrient make up that we will add per gallon of water for our feeding.

5 - 1 - 15 (grow)
37.5 - 0 - 7.5 (micro)
0 - 62.5 - 50 (bloom)

42.5 - 63.5 - 72.5 all three nutrient ratios added up. This will be our NPK ratio feeding that will go in one gallon of water. Now lets divide this to get a short simple answer. divide all by 10

4.25 - 6.35 - 7.25 NPK "parts" ratio makeup... What ever you want to call it. You can divide this down more and you will get a ratio of:

(Rounded)
1.4 - 2.1 - 2.4

Does these numbers look familiar? Pretty close to the 1-2-3 makeup that is recommended. Every nute line is different but they all are pretty close. Now im not saying the 1-2-3 is exactly what a plant needs as you can see the flora formula is close to 1-2-2 NPK ratio and it grows our girls great! Im just following simple math here and going by the 1-2-3 that I have read about. I would love to know the exact NPK ratio that a plant should be fed but like you said no one knows... Im sure every plant can range and be different and need different percentages of nutrients at different times. But this is the basics and supply's the plant with the needed nutrients.

Of course like the math we did above there is a lot more percentages that goes into our feeding but this is the parts per each N, P, and K that goes into our feeding. This is compared to each other.

The research i have done says that a cananbis plant if you feed it one parts nitrogen then you should feed it two parts Phosphorus and three parts Potassium. Thats where these calculations come in to play...

I hope this information is helpful or at least explains my calculations on what i meant by the 1-2-3... This all makes sense to me so hopefully you can see it now!

:thumb:

GTJ Let me know what you think of the above post! I know you have been busy on your journal... LOL.

There was a smaller cola below the support net that had fell over so i went ahead an cut it off. It will be about 4 grams when dry. I trimmed it and its hanging to dry now. Maybe i will get to try it out this weekend if it dries enough! The smell from this strain is unbelievable! So dank! Cant wait to try it out. The trichomes are all cloudy with a few amber on the sugar leaves. Should be a nice smoke.

Just wanted to give a small update! Everything is really starting to slow down now! She is dry after 3 days instead of every day now! Bud swell is coming to a halt and the pistils are starting to turn brown! Im getting excited as i believe shes coming to a end on this grow! Right at the 8 week mark too. I will continue to let her do her thing and will start the flush once i see about 10% amber! I will keep everyone posted! I will try and get some pics soon.

cant wait hunter - All your buds are above the screen this round :) Do you feel you did a better job training this run?

cant wait hunter - All your buds are above the screen this round :) Do you feel you did a better job training this run?

Actually i did NO training this grow! The net is just a support net and they are actually a few small buds below the net that will not yield anything! I went for no training and no defoliation on this single LSD run! My next run however will be a full scrog with 2-3 plants! I will also only tuck for the first week of 12/12 so they can get their stretch on and make big colas above the net. They are ready for the net now. Im loving the no defoliation. She has showed amazing growth.

The semi even top is due to the topping i did through veg. Any top that started growing to tall i would top it and let the rest catch up.

Still waiting on the amber! There was a smaller cola that fell down on the side so i cut it yesterday. She smells sooooo good! Im waiting to see some amber before I start my flush. Ive been reading a lot about flushing and cant decide how i really want to do it. I guess ill just wait for some amber and then start it with the Florakleen.

I sampled the small cola i cut last week and let me tell you.... It was the best tasting and smoothest ive ever smoked... The stone was crazy! It started with my cheeks and after about 10 mins it just dropped and my whole body was tingling. I thought that the trichomes had to be amber for a body high but for that sample that was NOT the case... A very different high than my papaya's... The smell is a VERY STRONG piney, sweet, diesel aroma. If you rub your finger with it you dont even have to put it to your nose. Amazing... It was great! Ill give more of a report once they finish up.

I was reading where the flush can take the aroma and taste from the plant? Has anyone heard anything like this? Kinda sounds like babble to me. My last harvest was flushed for over 7 days and it was great. Just looking up new methods and information. I want maximum flavor, smell, and smoothness... Like we all do! =)

Everything is going good! Still some fox tailing going on but everything has slowed down. A few new pistils but hardly no new growth now. Everything is 100% cloudy with some amber on sugar leaves but no amber trichomes on the actual buds yet. Im wanting to do a good 7-14 day flush so i may start that pretty soon. All the buds are starting to fall over and i have tied them up to support them.

I included 2 photos of the sample i took last week all dried and ready for the jar. Its 6 grams dry weight. Crazy that it was one of the smaller lower buds that didnt form! It is killer smoke i cant wait for the finished product!

Im going on a trip in march so im going to plan on harvesting before that. Yesterday marked 9 weeks on a 8 week strain. They are ready to be harvested but i want more of a couch lock high so im going longer.

Come on amber!

209151.jpg
209152.jpg
209153.jpg

Back
Top Bottom