Barneys Farm Sponsors Grow: Gorilla Zkittles, Orange Sherbert Plus Many More

Just caught up. I would water lower and let it drift up. My grow had low soil pH so I used quick lime to bring it up.
I think sulfur, aluminum sulfate, vinegar and the like are used to lower soil pH.

Just caught up. I would water lower and let it drift up. My grow had low soil pH so I used quick lime to bring it up.
I think sulfur, aluminum sulfate, vinegar and the like are used to lower soil pH.
Thanks VG. I have vinegar. Would any kind be ok? Also how much would you use?

You said your slurry was 6.8??
Fox farms buffers their soil between 6.3- 6.8 you are at the high end but still within range. If you were further out I may look at changing the soil pH but it isn't without risk.

From my readings lately in attempting to understand the difference between lockout and deficiency I came across a bit if info that clicked in my brain.
Lockouts cause the roots to take up high levels of micro-nutrients causing root dieback. The part if the root directly behind the tip is where calcium is taken into the plant if this is damaged it comes up looking like cal def. Lockout will usually show as multiple issues, usually cal and K.
Deficiencies are cause by too alkaline conditions preventing the uptake of micronutrients.
In my mind it is more dangerous to lower soil pH for this reason. On one hand the plant is still hungry and the other there is potential to burn her down.

I would feel underqualified to instruct you on the use of vinegar other than to mention that the apple cider would be preferred. I have seen one grow on this forum in particular that would give me pause. A member tried using vinegar to lower his pH and killed his entire grow.

On one hand the plant is still hungry and the other there is potential to burn her down.
It kind feels like this is what's happening.
I would feel underqualified to instruct you on the use of vinegar other than to mention that the apple cider would be preferred. I have seen one grow on this forum in particular that would give me pause. A member tried using vinegar to lower his pH and killed his entire grow.
I've used malt vinegar to lower ph for waterings before and it seemed to work fine. I use lemon juice now. Only in soil though, for hydro I use phosphoric acid.
From my readings lately in attempting to understand the difference between lockout and deficiency I came across a bit if info that clicked in my brain.
Lockouts cause the roots to take up high levels of micro-nutrients causing root dieback. The part if the root directly behind the tip is where calcium is taken into the plant if this is damaged it comes up looking like cal def. Lockout will usually show as multiple issues, usually cal and K.
Deficiencies are cause by too alkaline conditions preventing the uptake of micronutrients.
That's very interesting. I think I have a lockout as I have multiple issues including calcium deficiency

For vinegar I'm seeing ratios of 1cup/ gallon. Seems like a lot of vinegar.

The other options that I mentioned are soil conditioners for hydrangeas and blueberries. They can be found at most garden centers.

What were you pHing prior to this??

I looked around a bit and that's the standard ratio I'm seeing for vinegar.
It doesn't have any info telling how much it will raise it though. Just that your blueberries will thank you!

Ha! To be fair it doesn't say how much it will lower or raise it. It says nothing, to be sure!!!!

Nice try VG...... I'll just save time and call myself out.

That's was quick! Hey VG. How's you? Have you submerged an entire pot in solution at any point in your life? If so what size was the pot? I'm having possible lock out issues and was wondering if you had any out of the box ideas
:passitleft:
what about Emilya too ??. soil goddess might know a solution . Could a tea help as a flush maybe. I have major issue with 1 in soil being all yellow despite my best efforts to add shit.lol nearly harvest for her so can't be arsed with fighting her now so she will be what she is .lol Just working backwards to catching up buddy. looking forward to finding the Banana pics now too. I am going nft/mc next run with 6 and running the 4 LOS no-till 2nd run so I need to sort her pot out before I can re use it so watching this solution with interest too. Hope your good mate. will see you in the past as I catch up Marty !!

Thick stick? Maybe I could build a veg box out of the dried stems. I wonder if anyone has done that before

Thanks Cass. She's bossing me around again so I think that we're back to normal now lol

Basically they found some malignant cells after yet another check up so she had to have them removed. She was told that it was a simple procedure with little discomfort following the op. She decided to travel on the bus to the hospital despite my reasoned protests. I stayed at home with the children and off she went. She phoned me up when she was on the bus coming back home again in tears because of the pain and said that she only just made it to the bus stop. When she got back home she was a bit of a mess. She was really groggy from the local anaesthetic and could barely walk. She said that she nearly got off the bus halfway home because of the pain caused by the bumps in the road and the nausea brought on by the movement of the vehicle. Needless to say I put her straight to bed when she got back and she certainly didn't complain. The kids still jumped all over her when she got back though. Thanks Sauga. I'm sure she'll appreciate the love especially if it comes in the form of a spliff and a coffee
thanks HH. She's pretty much completely recovered now and just has to go back for annual checks to make sure nothing returns.

Hey Dr C! Pleased to meet you. First off, thank you very much. These plants are doing pretty well but I've had my moments though. I'm currently doing a recirculating dripper grow which isn't going quite as well as this one lol. I'll be doing an update shortly so I'll show you some more leaves. Still no tip burn and I'm raising the feed strength. The next feed will be 7g of MegaCrop. I expect we'll probably see some sign of mild stress then. As for the Purple, well, I miss those nugs already. I've got a few purple strains lined up but I'm not sure they'll be like that. Cheers Dr C

:passitleft:
Wow Prof so much has been going on for you and the family mate. sos sorry to read that. Poor Mrs Prof. must have been a hell of a journey for her. I think we have a denial about well being in the hope were going to be ok. We have a more hopeful attitude than informed and logical. Thankfully it sounds like it is done and dusted for her so wont have that to worry about now , just a steady recovery. healing vibes all round mate. hope she has bounced back now.

On the MC , I thought max dose was 6.5g or have I got it wrong ?. seeing 7 had me wowing on the greedy bitches !!!. Love your need to play mate , very inspiring . have a good one mate

Tropicanna Banana....

The TB is a bit of a beast. Very thirsty plant with strong and straight branches. She's got a lot more budsites than I though the she was going to end up with and will have very nice colas by the end. I'm going to need to get some extra air movement in there as this side of the tent has become a bit still. Normally I blow air over the tops of my plants but because these are taller I can't achieve the same effect. I gave them both the first stem rub today and they both smell great. This one in particular. Very tropical at the moment so looks like it'll be possibly a fruity strain. I'm convinced now that she's begging to show the slightest sign of light burn so I'm try to bend the stems away from directly under the lights. So far so good. Here's some pics of her not drooping for a change....
ORG_DSC09338.JPG
ORG_DSC09340.JPG
ORG_DSC09341.JPG
ORG_DSC09342.JPG
ORG_DSC09343.JPG
ORG_DSC09344.JPG
now that is looking very nice indeed Prof. have popped a Chiquitita Banana now so will get to see how they grow too now. seems banana is the new black .lol

Poor little chica. Feel bad for her.

I'm good but with a slightly bum ankle. Enjoying the calm before the storm of children needing attention.
a bum ankle ???? now that sounds like an illness I want to see !!!. lol
impetigo on the other hand !. poor little miss. kids cope so well with some horrible illnesses. hope she is well on the mend now mate and you can safely serve Muesli/cornflakes at breakfast again now ? .
Green days mate

Well I have some bad news everyone. The Tropicanna Banana has hermied. I don't know if it's salvageable either. All of the top flowers have bananas appearing on them and there are a lot. Far too many to just pick them off and hope for the best. I knew it was too good to be true lol. The lights were just about to go off in the tent when I found them so I've removed the top buds and thrown them in a bucket. I'll inspect the rest of the plant tomorrow morning but it doesn't look good. I'll have some pics coming up shortly.
Ffs. mate , gutted for you. can you save any pollen for future use maybe ? . Thisnis one of the downsides with all the attempting to constantly bring new additions to the table too. ( not you personally mate , I mean as breeders) We are guilty of wanting some different flavours ect... but the amount of genetic changes ect leaves us vulnerable to the negatives of it too often now. Knowing your growing style and skill level , thisbhas to be a genetic thing as the bg41 was too. I dont think you could have overfed that chunky banana if you tried either lol. hare seeing all the effort and love go to nothing though so hopefully some pollen at least for your bank. damn shame Prof. head up

Well I got her out of the tent and gave her a little check over. I didn't have to look very hard before I found pollen sack and more bananas. So here are her final pics....
ORG_DSC09398.JPG
ORG_DSC09399.JPG
ORG_DSC09415.JPG

Here are some Sauga leaves....
ORG_DSC09400.JPG

And here's some of the stuff I found on her today....
ORG_DSC09401.JPG
ORG_DSC09402.JPG
ORG_DSC09403.JPG
ORG_DSC09404.JPG
ORG_DSC09405.JPG
ORG_DSC09406.JPG
full on hermied bitch. damn mate.

Hey 420! Well after a rollercoaster weekend of ups and downs we arrive at Sunday afternoon with a grow room that looks quite different to how it looked at the beginning of the weekend. I've taken the DSD out of the 2x4 and done the complete opposite of what you suggested Lew. Don't worry, it's not you, it's me lol. I've put her into the 2x2.5 tent in which she fits perfectly. What this means is that she's had a lighting downgrade but it's not too bad. She's now only receiving 100w of lighting instead of the 400w that the 2x4 was running. Ive put some other plants in the 2x4 as it just makes sense. You'll see what I mean if you check out my other journal later on today. I have faith that we can still do well with this one provided she doesn't end up covered in seeds. I've given this one a check for signs of hermaphroditic behaviour but so far we're good. Fingers crossed for the rest of the journey to be event free....
ORG_DSC09435.JPG
ORG_DSC09436.JPG
ORG_DSC09437.JPG
ORG_DSC09438.JPG
ORG_DSC09439.JPG
ORG_DSC09440.JPG
ORG_DSC09441.JPG

Here's all that's left of the TB. Hell hath no fury like a Prof scorned....
ORG_DSC09442.JPG
sadly there is a odd satisfaction once slaughtered. I felt same with bg41 but had some smoke at least and nice seeds. have to look for the positives prof.

For vinegar I'm seeing ratios of 1cup/ gallon. Seems like a lot of vinegar.

The other options that I mentioned are soil conditioners for hydrangeas and blueberries. They can be found at most garden centers.

The soil conditioners for hydrangeas is just aluminum sulphate.

I know once things are established it's difficult, but perhaps you can incorporate some peat into your medium. I'm leery of aluminum sulphate to consume...but I hear it does work fast.

Sorry about the late reply. It's been a hell of a day as per usual. My water is pretty good here and most of the time when I check the ph it doesn't need adjusting after making up a mix. It is usually in between 6.2 and 6.6 before any adjustments are made. That doesn't mean that I don't adjust it though as I like it swing a little. Not too much though. For example if my last watering went in at 6.2 then I'll try and push the next watering up to 6.5. I've been doing this for all of my grows in this journal.
what about Emilya too ??. soil goddess might know a solution . Could a tea help as a flush maybe. I have major issue with 1 in soil being all yellow despite my best efforts to add shit.lol nearly harvest for her so can't be arsed with fighting her now so she will be what she is .lol Just working backwards to catching up buddy. looking forward to finding the Banana pics now too. I am going nft/mc next run with 6 and running the 4 LOS no-till 2nd run so I need to sort her pot out before I can re use it so watching this solution with interest too. Hope your good mate. will see you in the past as I catch up Marty !!
Hey GG! How are you sensei? I see you found the Banana pics lol. Yep. She blew big time. I haven't had one go like that for a long time. I can't even remember what strain or when it was. I just remember it happening.

I don't know if a tea will help but I think I'm going for a flush now though. It's just weird. I sometimes get some issues like this in veg but then the plants normally sort themselves out once they begin to flower.

I'm currently running MegaCrop in a recirculating dripper system. I started on MC and very nearly killed all 4 plants. I changed to MasterBlend and got things under control again but I ran out of that last week. I'm now on the MC again so I'm watching with great interest and anxiety lol. It should be fine but I'm Prof so who knows
Wow Prof so much has been going on for you and the family mate. sos sorry to read that. Poor Mrs Prof. must have been a hell of a journey for her. I think we have a denial about well being in the hope were going to be ok. We have a more hopeful attitude than informed and logical. Thankfully it sounds like it is done and dusted for her so wont have that to worry about now , just a steady recovery. healing vibes all round mate. hope she has bounced back now.

On the MC , I thought max dose was 6.5g or have I got it wrong ?. seeing 7 had me wowing on the greedy bitches !!!. Love your need to play mate , very inspiring . have a good one mate
its been one of those months I'm afraid. I've not been on the site quite as much recently because of everything which has been going on. Mrs is good now. Everything is back to normal which is a relief. These events are about as appreciated as a fart in a spacesuit!

It says on the bag that you can give 7g in flower. I can't show you because I didn't keep the bag though
now that is looking very nice indeed Prof. have popped a Chiquitita Banana now so will get to see how they grow too now. seems banana is the new black .lol
Banana is the new sack!
a bum ankle ???? now that sounds like an illness I want to see !!!. lol
impetigo on the other hand !. poor little miss. kids cope so well with some horrible illnesses. hope she is well on the mend now mate and you can safely serve Muesli/cornflakes at breakfast again now ? .
Green days mate
Nope! My kids only eat Hookers and Blow Flakes
Ffs. mate , gutted for you. can you save any pollen for future use maybe ? . Thisnis one of the downsides with all the attempting to constantly bring new additions to the table too. ( not you personally mate , I mean as breeders) We are guilty of wanting some different flavours ect... but the amount of genetic changes ect leaves us vulnerable to the negatives of it too often now. Knowing your growing style and skill level , thisbhas to be a genetic thing as the bg41 was too. I dont think you could have overfed that chunky banana if you tried either lol. hare seeing all the effort and love go to nothing though so hopefully some pollen at least for your bank. damn shame Prof. head up
its a shame but these things happen. I hate seeing things like this happen to new growers. Thankfully they don't always go as bad as this. I didn't save any pollen as the sacks hadn't matured fully. I didn't want to risk ruining my other flowering plants especially the Dos Si Dos 33 who was sat right next to her.
full on hermied bitch. damn mate.
its ok though Mr GG as I have this thing to stare at when the shit hits the fan. It gets better as I have a mother of this thing....
ORG_DSC09689.JPG
ORG_DSC09692.JPG

sadly there is a odd satisfaction once slaughtered. I felt same with bg41 but had some smoke at least and nice seeds. have to look for the positives prof.
I know what you mean. Starting fresh can be relieving and bring you out of the slump. I'll only get memories from this one though. I do have 2 more seeds so it's not over yet
The soil conditioners for hydrangeas is just aluminum sulphate.

I know once things are established it's difficult, but perhaps you can incorporate some peat into your medium. I'm leery of aluminum sulphate to consume...but I hear it does work fast.
That sounds tricky. The roots have filled the pot right to the top couple inches. I'll have to look into the aluminium sulphate. How does that work?

Back
Top Bottom