Barneys Farm Sponsors Grow: Gorilla Zkittles, Orange Sherbert Plus Many More

Things are looking good here Prof! Wow 90% humidity?! :eek: Insanity at Professor’s lab. Hope you’re doing well my friend! :)
Hey HH! It's been crazy weather-wise. Last night I was kept up by thunder, lighting, torrential rain and heat. My hydrometer was actually showing 99% for a couple days.
I didn't want to remove as many leaves from these plants as I have already and it looks like it will be a sensible idea to remove even more. Never mind. We do what we need to do.

I'm good now. I need to get out to everyone's journals soon before i'm completely lost lol. How's your afghan coming on?
Thanks HH and hope you're well too
:passitleft:

Exactly this!!

Slow as molasses Prof. I harvested the other four a while ago, and Afghani is just sitting in that big ol tent all alone. I’m planning to check trichs today and see if I can cut her down yet. :hug: :love:
Hopefully she'll make up for her pace by rewarding you with some extra good meds. I purchased some more unknown Afghans today as I'm enjoying the current ones so much. I've not even seen them flower yet lol.

Hey HH! It's been crazy weather-wise. Last night I was kept up by thunder, lighting, torrential rain and heat. My hydrometer was actually showing 99% for a couple days.
I didn't want to remove as many leaves from these plants as I have already and it looks like it will be a sensible idea to remove even more. Never mind. We do what we need to do.

I'm good now. I need to get out to everyone's journals soon before i'm completely lost lol. How's your afghan coming on?
Thanks HH and hope you're well too

I always wished to observe someone growing in a location that has higher humidity than where I live (%75 yearly average). I wanted to see how an experienced grower fights with pests and molds like I do. Sorry that person is you Prof. Nothing personal :passitleft:

GJ on the harvest. Have fun :blunt:

Great looking autos, Prof!
The humidity here is about 65% today (and 90f) and it's rained 3 times so far -feels like we're in a sauna- I can't even imagine 90%!
Your plants don't seem to mind it much though- Nice update on some beautiful plants!

I always wished to observe someone growing in a location that has higher humidity than where I live (%75 yearly average). I wanted to see how an experienced grower fights with pests and molds like I do. Sorry that person is you Prof. Nothing personal :passitleft:

GJ on the harvest. Have fun :blunt:
It is a pretty nerve wracking experience. Mould is my main concern but as you know pests have done more damage to my garden this year. The fungus gnats love this weather and I was having a real problems with them in the coco. I have ditched the coco for all of my plants except these 2 autos and the problem has become more controllable. The gnats spread rot to everything I had growing except the autos and I saved 16 plants and lost 3. H2O2 was doing nothing for me and after going through 5 litres of the stuff I decided to bring out the heavy weapons and flood them with toilet bleach. The bleach froze the plants growth but also stopped the mould. The plants were just sat in the coco, frozen in time and after a week I transplanted them to soil after giving the remaining roots a rinse with some more bleach. As soon as they
went into soil they all started growing again. The bleach seems to have done nothing to halt the gnats but it helped to fix a serious case of root rot.
It's been a crazy month. Hope you've been having more luck than me TC lol
Great looking autos, Prof!
The humidity here is about 65% today (and 90f) and it's rained 3 times so far -feels like we're in a sauna- I can't even imagine 90%!
Your plants don't seem to mind it much though- Nice update on some beautiful plants!
It seems to have gone down to about 85% this morning lol. The other day it was raining and you could see it evaporating on the roads. There was like a waist high mist Honestly I have just been walking around in my underwear and sandals for the past 4 days. What a sight!

The Tropicanna Banana Harvest.

Well here it is. The long overdue harvest pics from the TB. This plant was pretty good and was nice and easy to grow. It out performed the other 3 plants in terms of growth and even had one of the best flavours and effects from the group. Like I said earlier, we scored 82g from her using a 200w 4000k LED unit. I think we could have pulled quite a bit more if she had the tent to herself. The flowers at the top were nice and dense and also of a good size but lower down she became a bit fluffy. The flavour is fruity and floral and feels summery. It is quite uplifting but I didn't feel particularly energetic and could relax quite fine while using it. It was a great plant and I'm happy that I finally got to grow it out after 2 not so good attempts. I'm putting it down to bad luck as there are a few nice TB's being grown currently on 420mag.
Time for some pics....
DSC03121.JPG
DSC03129.JPG
DSC03158.JPG
DSC03159.JPG
DSC03165.JPG
DSC03166.JPG
DSC03187 (1).JPG

It is a pretty nerve wracking experience. Mould is my main concern but as you know pests have done more damage to my garden this year. The fungus gnats love this weather and I was having a real problems with them in the coco. I have ditched the coco for all of my plants except these 2 autos and the problem has become more controllable. The gnats spread rot to everything I had growing except the autos and I saved 16 plants and lost 3. H2O2 was doing nothing for me and after going through 5 litres of the stuff I decided to bring out the heavy weapons and flood them with toilet bleach. The bleach froze the plants growth but also stopped the mould. The plants were just sat in the coco, frozen in time and after a week I transplanted them to soil after giving the remaining roots a rinse with some more bleach. As soon as they
went into soil they all started growing again. The bleach seems to have done nothing to halt the gnats but it helped to fix a serious case of root rot.
It's been a crazy month. Hope you've been having more luck than me TC lol

It seems to have gone down to about 85% this morning lol. The other day it was raining and you could see it evaporating on the roads. There was like a waist high mist Honestly I have just been walking around in my underwear and sandals for the past 4 days. What a sight!

Sad to hear these Prof. :passitleft:

I am also exhausted from the gnats but I have them under control. Diatomaceous earth and bottom feeding done a lot in my tents. I topped the coco with 4-5cm of perlite then topped with lots of DE. I put like seven traps per meter square. Working amazing but these bastards are trying to go inside from the sides of the fabric pot. I am not sure if they are succeeding but they are very few in numbers now. I can't bottom feed my BG41 but I have a much more thicker perlite layer for her. It is also working very effective. You can always consider mulching with nylon instead of DE or perlite.

Eventhough I can keep things under control here, I will probably abandon coco on my next grow. I am planning to design a custom hydro system. It will consist of four DWC buckets, a reservoir and aqua valve inside a tray. Basically, I am trying to build a DWC autopot system.

Dealing with mature gnats is easier so you might take some extra measures on that issue. A fellow master grower here is also dealing with whiteflies and fungus gnats. He said that adults get wrecked with spinosad but he is also mulching his medium with nylon. He visits me weekly so I can keep you posted how this mulching nylon is working for him if you want.

Sad to hear these Prof. :passitleft:

I am also exhausted from the gnats but I have them under control. Diatomaceous earth and bottom feeding done a lot in my tents. I topped the coco with 4-5cm of perlite then topped with lots of DE. I put like seven traps per meter square. Working amazing but these bastards are trying to go inside from the sides of the fabric pot. I am not sure if they are succeeding but they are very few in numbers now. I can't bottom feed my BG41 but I have a much more thicker perlite layer for her. It is also working very effective. You can always consider mulching with nylon instead of DE or perlite.

Eventhough I can keep things under control here, I will probably abandon coco on my next grow. I am planning to design a custom hydro system. It will consist of four DWC buckets, a reservoir and aqua valve inside a tray. Basically, I am trying to build a DWC autopot system.

Dealing with mature gnats is easier so you might take some extra measures on that issue. A fellow master grower here is also dealing with whiteflies and fungus gnats. He said that adults get wrecked with spinosad but he is also mulching his medium with nylon. He visits me weekly so I can keep you posted how this mulching nylon is working for him if you want.
Perlite is next on my list. Of all of the suggestions made to help with the gnats I decided to go with a layer of perlite. I tried it with sand last year with mixed results. My main issue with the sand was that it was filthy. It got was all over the tent walls and on the LED lenses.
One thing I think is happening now is that the gnat larvae are competing with other life in the soil. As I've mixed in my own compost I know that it is full of life and there are probably predatory nematodes and other things which may be harmful to the gnat larvae. The main difference though is being able to allow the soil to dry out. You can't really do that with coco.

One question. What is nylon mulch?

Perlite is next on my list. Of all of the suggestions made to help with the gnats I decided to go with a layer of perlite. I tried it with sand last year with mixed results. My main issue with the sand was that it was filthy. It got was all over the tent walls and on the LED lenses.
One thing I think is happening now is that the gnat larvae are competing with other life in the soil. As I've mixed in my own compost I know that it is full of life and there are probably predatory nematodes and other things which may be harmful to the gnat larvae. The main difference though is being able to allow the soil to dry out. You can't really do that with coco.

One question. What is nylon mulch?

Mulching is basically topping. People mulch their crops with chopped wood to kill the contact between medium and light to prevent unwanted weed growth. Mulch film is some sort of nylon and you can use something like that to cover the top of your medium. You prevent gnats from laying eggs but you have to feed your plants from the bottom. I added DE on top of perlite and have been feeding them from the tray for a while. That keeps DE dry at all times and mulch film essentialy has the same benefit.

Hey 420. Today the autos are on day 63 from seed. We will definitely be having a 2-part harvest with this one. First to be coming down will the Wedding Cake. That plant is stacking nicely and should be done in the next 2 weeks. The Gorilla Glue is creeping up behind but still has a while to go yet. I expect it will be down a couple of weeks after the WC.
There has been a bit of an issue in recent weeks which I hope I'm on top of now. Leaves started to die on the WC starting at the top of the plant but it is all over now. I can't tell if it has actually stopped or not. The GG had the same thing but seems to have progressed no further than yellowing leaves. I haven't been treating these as roughly as I have with the previous 2 flowering rounds of coco plants and have been flushing the pots as well as bottom feeding to begin with. I raised the GG up to meet the WC so I can't bottom feed that one now anyway. Both plants seem to be growing still with the flowers looking good but the WC is looking a bit beat up. She should make it though I'm just hoping that the final yield isn't to badly effected. We have some excellent frost and some pretty colours on the WC and the GG is just beginning to frost up now. Here we are today....
DSC03580.JPG
DSC03581.JPG
DSC03582.JPG
DSC03583.JPG
DSC03584.JPG

Wow the WC and GG have some nice fat colas! :bravo: Professor!
I have given them another light trim to help with airflow as we are not out of the humid woods just yet. I need to keep those cola's apart otherwise we will be seeing Mr mould again and we don't want that. He's just so rude!

Thanks HH

Hey 420. It is flowering day 76 for the two autoflowers and man are they impressive. They look rough as arseholes but they just kept on pushing through. The Wedding Cake is down! I pulled her last night and got some pics of that. The Gorilla Glue still needs some time as predicted but it probably won't be all that long. Couple weeks tops which is perfect as I will be aiming to put the Xmas round of plants into flower at the end of this month.
Both of these plants are stacked and have some of the biggest flowers I have produced this year. The Wedding Cake looks to have the largest but Glue is hiding some chunky and dense, stocky towers in amongst those leaves. One thing I will say is that the Glue smells nothing like Gorilla Glue and at the moment is really fruity. It could change I guess but it doesn't have that sour and fuel funk you normally get with the Glue. It is by no means disappointing though and smells great. The Wedding Cake is very funky. That one reeks of power and is covered in sparkling frost.
I think that these have probably been some of the most impressive and strong growing plants I have grown in the entire thread. I just wish I could have worked out what the hell was going on with the leaves sooner, I'm still not sure but my guess is that the fungus gnats are eating the roots alive. I have done every check for coco growing including several flushes. Everything seems good. Humidity is a little high but that shouldn't cause symptoms like what is happening to both of these plants. The GG is finally going like the WC and her top leaves are showing all kinds of nutrients issues. It will make its way down the plant and the leaves will go crispy and die. The bottom leaves and the leaves in the centre of the plant are all perfect looking but the rest are crispy, brown and fall off if you touch them. None of this seems to matter though as the WC is finished and produced some massive stinking flower which didn't rot from the inside out. Hooray! Like I said, the GG won't be much longer and now has better airflow and more space to breath so she should be fine.
First, here is a few pics of them form last week as I didn't do an update....
DSC03874.JPG
DSC03875.JPG
DSC03877.JPG
DSC03880.JPG
DSC03873.JPG

That seemed to be a bit Wedding Cake heavy lol. More pics on the way....

And here we have the Wedding Cake out of the tent and facing the axe....
DSC04005.JPG
DSC04006.JPG
DSC04007.JPG
DSC04001.JPG
DSC04004.JPG
DSC04000.JPG
DSC04009.JPG

I chopped her down but didn't trim her up as I just couldn't be bothered. I will instead trim her up after she is dry and get some finger hash as a little reward. I have set up a fan and hung her to dry. The humidity has gone down recently but it is still damp. I have an oscillating fan aimed at them so we should be good....
DSC04012.JPG

Not bad at all Barney....
DSC04013.JPG

Happy growing everyone.

Back
Top Bottom