basement closet grow heat problem - Help

g35driver

Info:
all organic grow 5g buckets.
600w hps cooltube w/reflector hood 12/12 (lights on at p.m.)
room size: 5x5x7 (175 cf)
1 window/ 1 door
4" inline fan (180cfm rated) w/carbon air filter to exhaust (no ventilation hole yet)
1-squirrel cage blower in ceiling
1-oscilating fan
2-stationary fans bottom of canopy blowing up toward light
1-dehumidifier (occasionally used) avg:45%-55%

Problem:
HEAT

Any help would be appreciated, I posted this yesterday but no one took a stab.
Pics
IMG_048419.JPG

IMG_048315.JPG

3 wks in flower:
IMG_045919.JPG

Re: basement closet grow heat problem...HELP

4" inline fan (180cfm rated) w/carbon air filter to exhaust (no ventilation hole yet)

Problem:

HEAT

I think that said it all...

Carbon filter and warm air extraction fan should placed at top of grow area... hot rise's after all ! & should be vented out of grow area to reduce heat...

Cool air sinks ! do you have any intake of fresh air to provide ambient supply of co2/new air ?

Re: basement closet grow heat problem...HELP

I think that said it all...

Carbon filter and warm air extraction fan should placed at top of grow area... hot rise's after all ! & should be vented out of grow area to reduce heat...

Cool air sinks ! do you have any intake of fresh air to provide ambient supply of co2/new air ?

Hey ,thanks for helping and that's exactly what I was thinking ,bumping the fan power up . And no, I dont have a hole for ventilation yet. What would you suggest for size and a cement of hole? In window through the wood? Or I was thinking cut a small doggy door at bottom of my door that I can open / close as I please.

I agree in getting that fan off the floor and in the air and if you put your intake for fresh air close to the floor then don't forget to filter it with an additional filter to keep the intake as pure as possible. I have a 10X10 tent and don't have any fresh air coming in at all except when I go inside. I also use a co2 bottle to keep the levels higher for better growth. This will also allow you to run a little warmer temps.

I agree in getting that fan off the floor and in the air and if you put your intake for fresh air close to the floor then don't forget to filter it with an additional filter to keep the intake as pure as possible. I have a 10X10 tent and don't have any fresh air coming in at all except when I go inside. I also use a co2 bottle to keep the levels higher for better growth. This will also allow you to run a little warmer temps.

Hey dyna , I was thinking of getting a 6" or 8" maybe powered double the cfm than my 4" that's only rated 175 cfm. I already added 3 more fans which took the temps down 8-10 degrees. I found out just by placing 1 directly blowing at the ballast the temp went south by 5 alone. What do you think about the 6 or 8" idea?

Which brand of fans are the strongest,any opinion?

The size of fan I use in my 10X10 tent are 8 inch and my fan is a Sunleaves wind tunnel but I have also read some good reviews on the Vortex Power fans. I would think both would fit the bill. I also have my ballists outside my tent screwed to a piece of plywood with timers to minimize any heat issues. Depending on the size of your grow space you might consider buying a small portable A/C unit {Drain tube runs outside the tent} to keep cool during the times your lights are on and turn it off at night using a timer. I use timers for everything, it was kinda tricky to sync my co2 to the purge and read here that the co2 is really not needed during sleep time, too easy. Cool exterior air sucked in from the bottom through carbon filter outside of the tent, filter sucking out the heat from my lights at the top of the tent and a little A/C action keeps my girls happy around 75°.

You can probably get by with another fan like you have for intake and be good.

BTW, nice plants, kinda got a crick in my neck trying to see them sideways, hahaha...

hey dyna,my thoughts exactly in regards to the ac unit. been trying to wait out the weather with the cooler days around the corner. As for the bigger fan, think i should replace the smaller one with it and pull with the larger one or push with it from the cieling to help the smaller one ? Probably pull with it rite? and that means I need another filter also huh? any suggestions?

Just added cha-ching to an all organic grow...but if it pays off like it did over the first 2 nights of soaking I'll forgive the local shop guru for telling me cha ching is organic. heres a recent pic of just one lady. whatchya think? You have any ferts you've had good luck with for flowering stage?
IMG_0519_1_.JPG

and sorry dont know why pics upload sideways and i dont know how to correct it...my bad

I would use the same size fan so the intake and exhaust have the same cfm, just my thoughts. I wouldn't want to pressurize the grow area or put it in a vacuum which is what happens with 2 different size fans if you know what I mean? I use Hydroton or a clay smooth round pellet for my grow median and I use Grow, Micro, Bloom combo pack which is very easy to use, I have a 55 gallon drum for watering and really don't like to use several types of ferts at different stages of my grow. These 3 are what I use all through the grow and it also helps to regulate the PH so that is something else I don't have to worry about. After the water starts to evaporate the PH goes up a little so I add more water close to harvest and it comes back down and then flush with clean filtered water a week before harvest. If you can't find them at the local shop then you can find them from one of the sponsors for this site.

For the pics, after you view them on your computer in windows you will find an arrow on the tool bar to rotate them or Mac you can twist the mouse pad to rotate them and then save. Or, you can hold the camera straight and not sideways. Your plants look great man, keep up the good work.

i know i figured the pic thing out after about 10 mins later...oh well. anyway, i am using the same fert line but i ran out of the bio marine bottle and so I wanted to replace it with something else. Thats how i came to cha ching. Looks good so far, good point about the fan size. I'll do some research for the most efficient 4" fan.

If you're happy with the fan you have now and it's a fair price then just get one more fan, duct work to raise the intake filter and keep it off the ground.

True ...fan I got is def on the weaker side in my opinion. Rated for 175cfm and I got 210cf. With all the b.s. I should be getting a fan w/around 266cfm of power after i include total duct and a few bends,plus filter ya know.

If you find the new fan works well and think a 2nd replacement would be better then by all means get it. You can always use the weaker fan to circulate the air in your work area or make a good fart fan in the bathroom. hahaha... My 2 - 8' fans produce 740cfm each.

Haha fart fan ... Your a meatball. I smell what your stepping in. Think I'll try the 4" can-fan with it. Keep ya updated . How much space do you circulate with those fans of yours?

My tent is 10X10X7 with 4-1000 watt Hortilux Super HPS EN Lamps, one filter is as high as I can get it pulling air through my lights to outside and the other filter outside close to the top of my tent for intake at the bottom. Both air filters are 8' X 24' 750 CFM. Works pretty good, I purge with both fans once in the morning at once at night and have my light fan hooked up to a thermostat to automatically turn on and suck through the vent fan if the temp gets too high. I use co2 so I really don't flush too much so I don't lose the co2. I am in the process of moving so all my stuff is torn down and packed up for now, otherwise I would show you what it looks like. Once I get relocated I will do a video from start to finish on doing a super crop. I have not tried this before and will do my best to document everything, tent assembly, nutes, watering system, planting to harvest. I am no pro but think it might help me and others to maybe get some fresh ideas on how to multiply their harvest on the legal numbers of plants for their meds.

sounds good man, i was just looking online and saw these new can fans with built in thermostat i guess. Not sure if this would be a good idea for me seeing how the built in thermostat makes the fan go faster or slower depending on the temp. Not sure if this is practical if i have a temp problem, cuz those fans are like $220 plus for 4" fans

Keep it simple man, I don't like the variable fan speed, I like it on or off and cheap with reliability and fewer things to go wrong. Plus if the thermo stat is built in the fan you might need a step ladder to set it. Pain in the neck to adjust. I think if you just got one more like the one you just bought you would be fine.

Back
Top Bottom