Basement Productions - Soil - Durban Poison - 2018

Basement Prod

Basement Productions Bridget in dirt Grow Journal - 2018
Hello all
Thought I would share my first grow experience, actually second I did one over 30 years ago but that was a different time. So I am in Ontario Canada and legalization will come into effect in July. You are allowed to grow 4 plants and so that is what I will be doing.
I know there are far larger operations and more complex with experienced growers but here is my little story for anyone interested. I have dedicated a small space in my basement and constructed a 4 foot by 3 foot area and then a second one. I am sure many will be saying you should have, or could have, but this is what I have done.
I have a bit of a unique situation as my basement is unfinished and always cold so heat is no issue at all, quite the opposite and I will be running a small space heater for added warmth with a small 4” intake fan for ventilation other than opening the door daily for a complete air exchange.
My plan is to grow one mother plant from that I will take 4 cuttings to grow to maturity. This was all done with budget in mind as well. My original plan was about a 500 dollar investment but then got carried away and built a second room and bought extra lights. 1300 dollars later I have enough for 3 to 4 more grows with no investment. Hydro cost less than 20 dollars per month ($15 Veg, $17 Bloom LED Rocks).
I am looking forward to my Hydro Grow but this is the story of Bridget the mother. I originally wasn’t planning on blooming Bridget but she is a pretty little girl and since I built a second room anyway I figured why not. In hind sight I would have used a different and bigger pot but let’s see what happens.
My journey is shown below in pictures and hopefully you enjoy it.
Start Date – January 31, 2018
Durban Poison - Feminized 60% Sativa - Crop King Seeds (website stated 90% Sativa, disappointed)
Mother Plant - Seed to Soil (Potting Soil, added Perlite) - Solo Cup to 4 Gallon Planter
LED Lighting - 1 x 300 Watts (actual 95W) 1 x 450 Watt for Bloom (actual 140W)
Nutrients - Optimum hydroponix - 2-part liquid nutrient – Grow (2ml per liter)/Bloom (2.5ml per liter)
Room Temp - 75 Degrees – Varies as cold basement with small space heater (70 – 80)
Humidity – 35-50%

Wish I could get my plants to grow as fast as I can read this.....

Like insta-nug

I'll just slide in here...... :popcorn:

Welcome to the forum (in case I haven't welcomed you before....old age and bad memory....you know) :welcome:

Wish I could get my plants to grow as fast as I can read this.....

Like insta-nug

I'll just slide in here...... :popcorn:

Welcome to the forum (in case I haven't welcomed you before....old age and bad memory....you know) :welcome:
Thank you, You are great on here. I have read read many of your posts and may need some help along the way.
Ya I kind of started this late, been lurking though and wasn't planning on starting a journal until I got my Hydro running but she is a happy girl so see what happens.

Thank you, You are great on here. I have read read many of your posts and may need some help along the way.
Ya I kind of started this late, been lurking though and wasn't planning on starting a journal until I got my Hydro running but she is a happy girl so see what happens.

I can't say that I'm great. I'm just some old guy, that likes to help when I can, and stick my foot, ankle, leg in there when I make a mistake.

Looks like you are doing very well so far, she has nice color, good growth, and seems to be happy with your actions.:thumb:

So far, I feel quite useless in this thread, but that is ok, it keeps me from having to retract something I said. :laugh:

Yeah, you look like you have the Dutch version of Durban that I grew here last year. The Dutch Durban is a cross with de-skunked skunk developed in Holland (by Dave Watson) from a strain that was originally brought here to the US from Holland by Ed Rosenthal and after he worked them, they were worked more by Mel Frank. Mel said that he created 2 strains, A and B. He sent the B srain to Dave in Holland by mistake, as that was the lesser strain of the two. Strain A was said by Mel to be the better Durban strain of the two. I have also grown landrace Durban Poison seeds from South Africa and they have skinny sativa leaves. They also reek a lot more than the Dutch Durban does. However, they bloom wildly and all my female Durbans bloomed in June! Shrimpy 2 footers, I thought that they were autos. But alas, they were landrace Durbans, known for wildly variable blooming. I had 3 landrace males that bloomed in August, and I bred the best one to the Dutch Durban clones. I want the Durban terpenes and more WAKE in wake n' bake (more THCv) that the Durban landraces have, and the stability of bloom time that the Ducth Durban line has. I have no idea what I will actually get from my Durban seed run though. They are germinating now...

Yeah, you look like you have the Dutch version of Durban that I grew here last year. The Dutch Durban is a cross with de-skunked skunk developed in Holland (by Dave Watson) from a strain that was originally brought here to the US from Holland by Ed Rosenthal and after he worked them, they were worked more by Mel Frank. Mel said that he created 2 strains, A and B. He sent the B srain to Dave in Holland by mistake, as that was the lesser strain of the two. Strain A was said by Mel to be the better Durban strain of the two. I have also grown landrace Durban Poison seeds from South Africa and they have skinny sativa leaves. They also reek a lot more than the Dutch Durban does. However, they bloom wildly and all my female Durbans bloomed in June! Shrimpy 2 footers, I thought that they were autos. But alas, they were landrace Durbans, known for wildly variable blooming. I had 3 landrace males that bloomed in August, and I bred the best one to the Dutch Durban clones. I want the Durban terpenes and more WAKE in wake n' bake (more THCv) that the Durban landraces have, and the stability of bloom time that the Ducth Durban line has. I have no idea what I will actually get from my Durban seed run though. They are germinating now...

That is some great info and makes sense. Much appreciate the response. Cheers

Nice setup, very clean area. Leafs look great and plant is happy.

Great job.

Cheers

Well Bridget at 2 weeks flower really has not stretched at all, was kind of hoping she would or I would have veg longer. Good learning though and I will be happy with what ever I get since I didn't plan on blooming her in the first place. Did some defoliation on the lower and she looks happy.

On a happy note I am very pleased Bridget's offspring Eeny, Meeny, Miny and Moe have bounced back and are looking awesome considering how much I messed up the cloning process. Friggin newbie :rolleyes:. I have high hopes.

High BP,

I like the way you do things. First class grow space. Baby girls are looking really nice, as is mother. I didn't know Durban Poison landrace was a small plant. I always thought 12-20 weeks flowering. Good to know.
You do great work!! Ciao

High BP,

I like the way you do things. First class grow space. Baby girls are looking really nice, as is mother. I didn't know Durban Poison landrace was a small plant. I always thought 12-20 weeks flowering. Good to know.
You do great work!! Ciao
Thank you so much, I am a newbie learning as I go. I don't think Durban Poison is a small plant. Not quite sure what I got from Crop Kings, it is a cross of something but not growing like any Durban Poison I have googled.

I understand there are two versions of Durban Poison, one which has been crossed with something else, and the original land race from Durban, Africa.

Yes, my Dutch passion Durban's stretched like crazy, as I've seen others do. Not sure what Crop King has bred, they aren't specific but they do say it is a hybrid.

Yes, my Dutch passion Durban's stretched like crazy, as I've seen others do. Not sure what Crop King has bred, they aren't specific but they do say it is a hybrid.
I am new to this, first attempt, so maybe something I am doing wrong, I am sure I will learn.
The plant seems healthy and happy so all I can do is wait to see what I get for a final product.
I do appreciate the feedback.

High BP,

I can't see anything you're doing wrong. The stretch has to do with genetics.

Bridget's children have a little problem hoping maybe someone can help or give me their opinion
I am seeing leaf discolouration where the leaves are losing colour but the veins seem to be staying darker.

What I know.
My PH was out of wack up to about 8. I have been lowering it over the last 3 days a bit at a time not to overdo it and it is now down to 6.

What I don't know
Could PH issues cause this?
Did some google and reading and think perhaps Mag issue?
If it was PH issue that i have fixed will the leaves get their colour back?

Any insight from someone that know more than me and that is a pretty low bar, it would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Back
Top Bottom