Basic Body Butter: A SweetSue Picture Tutorial

I go with cold pressed organic. It's one of the fastest to be absorbed of all the oils. Refined usually means they've modified the chemical structure.

From here:
"What is a refined carrier oil? Most oils undergo the process of expeller or cold pressing, but the process is then taken several more steps. After being pressed, some oils are then heated, up to 450℉, or subjected to cold temperatures, as low as -30℉. Often they are solvent treated to deodorize them, and some are even bleached to further remove the scent or to make them a more desirable color. "

Is there a certain grape seed oil i should use? I used a Refined grape seed oil( high temperature cooking). I found it a bit greasy, is this normal?

I find it a bit greasy myself.

I go with cold pressed organic. It's one of the fastest to be absorbed of all the oils. Refined usually means they've modified the chemical structure.

From here:
"What is a refined carrier oil? Most oils undergo the process of expeller or cold pressing, but the process is then taken several more steps. After being pressed, some oils are then heated, up to 450℉, or subjected to cold temperatures, as low as -30℉. Often they are solvent treated to deodorize them, and some are even bleached to further remove the scent or to make them a more desirable color. "

Next time I go shopping I’ll look for the unrefined. I haven’t opened the last bottle I purchased, so maybe I’ll just take it back and exchange it.

What about canning in a pressure cooker or water bath to preserve? Has anyone tried this?

It works the same as Grandma's canned tomatoes. Putting the lid on the jar when its warm will create a vacuum seal when it cools. Storing in a cool and dark place it will last for months and months.

Key step is sterilizing everything first - jars, lids, etc

I've been making my body butter the same way for 2 years or so, with coconut oil and coco butter. I'd add vanilla extract and vitamin E oil and follow the basic recipe on the magical butter website. That lotion goes faster than anything but I get really frustrated with the fact if you don't use it constantly or keep it in the fridge it will start to mold. Yesterday I made a fresh batch but used infused pumpkin seed oil and added thieves oil. So far I'm liking this change. This stuff gets sucked right into the skin with no greasiness on the skin. The thieves oil should prevent it from molding and the smell it gives the lotion is really nice. The wife gave a big thumbs up. I just rubbed it on my aches and pains and they were gone within minutes.

This?
Clove (Syzygium aromaticum) bud oil, Lemon (Citrus limon) peel oil, Cinnamon (Cinnamomum verum) bark oil, Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus radiata) leaf oil, Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) leaf oil
yes that's it. This stuff is really working well too. My other recipe has worked well but this stuff would be like extra strength. I get long lasting relief that I didn't get with the other recipe. It could be the pumpkin seed oil penetrates better. The wife loves the smell of the thieves oil mixed in.

A little pricey for me. How much did you you use?
I got a knock off for $16.95 for 30 ml. I did about a 2% solution which was the whole bottle but I got 38 oz's of lotion. That will last a long time. I get $10/oz for my lotion so it's well worth it. This is day 2 of using it and both myself and the wife are really impressed with the results.
Robber's Relief

1666059670740.png

My sciatic is out of control so I attempted to make this body butter. Attempted! I used grapeseed but it also had lecithin and a bit of MCT in it. It’s been sitting for a couple hours but it hasn’t hardened any and im starting to doubt it will. Anyone believe my efforts are salvageable? Maybe add more flakes? Shea butter? I’ve never attempted anything of this nature so any advise is welcome!

Great tutorial Sue!

EDIT- spoke too soon..it is solidifying so I’ll see where this takes me. It does have some juice to it still so I’m not out of the woods yet

If you added enough wax it should be solid-ish at room temps. If not you will need to remelt and add more wax. I don't know what effect the lecithin has though as you don't need it for topicals. It binds to the cannibinoids for better absorption when ingested.

Lecithin is used in the cosmetics industry, we've simply havent yet determined if it's all that necessary for these formulations. We attempt to stay simple.

EDIT- spoke too soon..it is solidifying so I’ll see where this takes me. It does have some juice to it still so I’m not out of the woods yet

Following Shed's directions sounds like your best bet. How much to add would be the mystery only you can solve luckydux. How's it standing now? :battingeyelashes:

@neikodog, thanks for that share. :hug: I'd never considered thieve's oil. A few of you now have pointed to pumpkin seed oil. Something I'll be playing with this year for sure.

You know me SweetSue...anything that encapsulates the cannabinoids in a topical makes me suspicious! I want nothing between them and my skin.

But I believe lecithin also aids absorption. You know, this really calls for an in-depth on lecithin. I’ve skirted around this for many moons. Lol!

After several hours it still seemed a little soft/messy so I melted it down again and added about 4-5 tbsp of Shea butter. I think it turned out great! Very nice consistency and it seemed to help with the pain immediately! I took one from neiko and added some thieves oil to it as well as some rosemary. Smells amazing now!
Thanks so much for all y’all do!

I noticed a lot of sediment at the bottom of the jar and it makes me wonder if the good stuff was settling on the bottom as well?? So when I melted it to add the Shea butter, I only nuked it for about 20 seconds, then I took it outside in the cold to setup quicker while I slowly mixed it up.

Back
Top Bottom